Photons CR2 ion - runtime on low setting ?

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
I've been hesitating, but I'm thinking of ordering the cr2 ion despite the premium price. It will be the only LED light I own. It fits what I'm looking for - small size, well regulated, with the spill tuned for close work.

I read the review of it at the flashlight forums...
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/photonsintl_cr2ion.htm

The runtime on high looks brilliantly flat. My question(s) - what is the runtime on low - the ion site lists 40 hours (sounds about right), but the review site lists 140 (?!) hours... which is it (using a primary battery)? And is the low output regulated as well as the high?

A long runtime is important to me for an emergency light, and I'm planning on using the low setting almost exclusively. Keychain light with extra kick if need be.

Thanks.

fleegs

Enlightened
I believe: The runtime should be around 40. The 140 figure comes from the original testing of the Ion when the low was lower. The low was then "brightened" up for the finalized Ion and the runtime dropped to around 40 hours.

Documentation changes are still catching up.

rob

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
My site is the official word on all the settings, and as noted it's 40 hours on low mode. Tests by trusted individuals (NewBie) have shown that a straight low mode burn yields somewhat longer results than that, but I'll stick to the conservative estimate.

Both stages are fully regulated, as noted on the website.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me. :)

-Enrique

*Retired*
Neither of these is "official", but here you go...

Here is the low mode runtime plot I got on my production version:
cr2ionlp.png

Here is my high mode runtime plot of the production model:
cr2ionph.png

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Groovy, 40 hours is good.

Santa had trouble understanding the need for such an expensive flashlight :laughing:

I really like the regulated lights coming out. When I was a kid I remember well how quickly the incandescent torches would fade from their retina searing brightness, even using D cells.

wmirag

Enlightened
FloggedSynapse,

This has been my primary EDC for about a year. It is a SUPERB light in nearly every respect. For this size light, I find its wide, round, and white flood exactly right because you can read without constantly fighting a hotspot. It's fine for a casual walk in the dark. It can be easily activated with one hand. It tail stands. The lens is recessed and has never scratched. I can't stop singing its praises.

I like it so much that I'm buying the new Titanium version when it comes out.

W.

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
NewBie, Thanks for those graphs.:sold:

And thank everyone else for the information. Yes I'm going to be getting one. The low output combined with the wide even spill should make this an excellent light for up close tasks and reading. I know how much work can go into making one of these - even to make a decent reflector can require an optical (hopefully not diffraction limited) surface.

I haven't been this excited about a light-emitting-gadget since I was a kid. I feel like a five year old a week before the holidays.

How has the aluminum body held up for EDC? This would be my only minor concern. The anodizing would make it tougher, but I know from experience that aluminum is rather fragile metal. I don't mean fragile in a structural sense, but it's easily scratched and damaged - for example I'd be worried about it being dinged up by keys if on a keychain. Have you considered a stainless steel version of the body? It would weigh a bit more, but the volume would remain tiny.

wmirag

Enlightened
> How has the aluminum body held up for EDC?

My Blue Ion is attached to an SAK MiniChamp and so it gets constant wear against stainless steel. The body and knurling do not have wear you can FEEL, but the not-quite-HA is worn a fair bit and that happened pretty quickly. The bare aluminum makes a big contrast against the blue anodize. That's the reason I'm getting the Ti - it scratches for sure but the scratches are pretty unnoticeable.

W.

arty

Enlightened
output on low setting ?

Anyone check the output on high and on low? I know that high is listed on the FR website, but not low.