New Skin ??

bitslammer

Enlightened
Wow I feel like I've discovered a new miracle drug. I did a lot of around the house stuff this weekend and should have worn gloves becasue my hands look as though they've been run through a meat grinder. I had too many little pesky cuts that a band aid would not fit so I bought a bottle of that "New Skin" stuff and I'm impressed.

It has a bizarre odor since like finger nail polish and it also has clove oil in it so that's very strong. It dries in a clear film not unlike clear finger nail polish and it's waterproof. Best of all I painted over a paper cut like cut on my left middle finger and never even noticed while playing bass guitar.

Anyone else here try this stuff? I was wondering if the hiker's have used it and if it would work as a type of abrasion/blister shield? It's not really made for that but it did a great job on the pad of my finger so I could cover the cut and still play bass.

Empath

Flashaholic
It sounds useful, but the scent you describe doesn't sound too great. I've a feeling my cat would see how far away she could get if I had that on my hands. Uh...... it doesn't come in tuna scent, does it?

LED BriCK

Enlightened
I like the stuff, but it tends to peel off after awhile. Good for paper cuts and cracks from washing your hands too much. I think it smells pretty good!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
New Skin is great stuff!

I've used it over large cuts after the stiches were removed. It is great for use on my hands because I can wear work gloves over it where bandages won't fit inside the gloves. You can put several coats on (maybe 10 or so) and it forms something like a plastic bubble that protects the injury from impact.

It seems to burn when applied to shallow scrapes but it doesn't seem to burn when I put it on cuts. I'm not sure I would use it on children because of the burn.

One of the guys at work said that bowlers use it on their fingers.

It works on hang nails too.

metalhed

Enlightened
Products like Nu-Skin are a favorite with bowlers because you can apply it over a blister or cut to help prevent further friction damage during the release. The problem comes if the blister or wound becomes contaminated and infected. So be sure to clean the area it will be applied to very carefully. And remove the stuff immediately if it becomes hot, reddened, or swollen.

I've had a couple of blisters give me trouble for an extended time after using the stuff, and eventually I stopped using it. But it does have its uses...got me through a tournament or three (I think I might have cashed in one or two using the stuff.)

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some of that, I put it on a gouge that I took out of the side of my finger a few weeks ago and it burned like a sonofa! So much so that I put it on the top shelf of my medicine cabinet and vowed never to use it again!

But I guess I could try it on a cut sometime.

FOr gouges or deep scratches or something I just use regular crazy glue ;) Remember one time while jumping into a pool I scraped my foot real bad on the edge of the pool. Took a good sized chunk out. Really hurt to keep it in the water, and couldn't very well put my shoes on. So I filled it with crazy glue and it immediately felt better and I swam all day without any problems. It fell off the next day and I put regular old bandaid on it.

Perhaps having both things around the house is a goodidea.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this stuff some 40 years ago when I worked in a drug store. Great stuff! Then it seemed like I couldn't find it anywhere for a long time until fairly recently it's shown up at some major chain drug stores. I've got some on right now on a couple little cuts - I keep some in a backpack too - both antiseptic and protects a cut from infection and usually wears off about the time it is healed if you put it on right - that's a technique though that's a little tricky - usually involves holding your finger or whatever in different positions for a couple minutes to get the maximum amount built up over the cut.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
my step dad uses it when he plays his bass guitar that way it doesnt give him blisters. it stinks at first but after about 20-30 seconmds it dries and the smell goes away. its kinda like having superglue on a finger but its not as hard to get off

Lightmeup

Enlightened
James S said:
FOr gouges or deep scratches or something I just use regular crazy glue ;)
Are you sure there are no toxic or carcinogenic chemicals in that stuff that you are inadvertently piping straight into your blood?

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmeup said:
Are you sure there are no toxic or carcinogenic chemicals in that stuff that you are inadvertently piping straight into your blood?
i am not douting you but with crazy glue you would only be putting a tiny amout on. not enough to really hurt you and plus unless you opened up a vein it would not get into your blood even then without it your blood would clot before you got to the crazy glue so none would be pumped strait to you heart.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
also do not use new skin or crazy glue in large quintitys as a dial y treatment cuz it will clog up you pors in your skin and you body wont be a able to let off toxins. then your amune system will be down and you will be vary likley to catch colds or any illness.

flash_bang

Enlightened
I could've used some of that stuff when I cut my left middle finger open whilst cutting grapes :grin2:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
New-Skin has been around for over 100 years. It is a nitrocellulose lacquer paint, which explains the smell. And it is now available in a spray.

There was a story about surgeons resorting to hardware store cyanoacrylate super glues when the medical grade stuff was in short supply. Apparently it is handy since it stops bleeding right away, holds tissues together instantly (duh) and doesn't need to be removed later because it is slowly absorbed by the body, unlike stitches.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
ABSOLUTELY a necessity/required item in my med chest. I've got several bottles. I always had one in my lunch box at work as well!!

GREAT for minor cuts/scrapes - It's REALLY GREAT in the winter when your fingers get dry around the nails & crack in the dry cold!! :thumbsup:

bitslammer

Enlightened
frosty said:
PAIN like you wouldn't believe if using it on broken skin. Once used, never forgotten.:lolsign:

I don't find it any more irritating than other alcohol based solutions. As for Crazy glue it does contain some nasty stuff. The version used in hospitals is different. I don't rememebr the name but I worked in and around the OR of a hospital for 5 years. The commercial versions of Crazy Glue/Super Glue may have some impurities that are not present in the medical grade versions.

A tiny bit topically probably isn't mcuh of an issue unless you're allergic.