Shipping to Hawaii or Alaska?

Spork

Enlightened
How much does it cost to ship from the US to hawaii or alaska and is there extra papers that need to be filled out?

thanks
Chris

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Chris, I live in Anchorage, Alaska. One would merely use the U.S. Post Office to mail your package the same way you would ship to say Florida, Iowa, Michigan...it's just a little farther. My zip code is 99507. Shipping of course is based on the route/distance between your zip code and the destination. It's not like it has to go through customs (We are in the United States of America!), shipping from Canada to Alaska is a bit more complicated due to the customs thing, but not from the lower 48 to Alaska. There are not special forms to fill out to mail to us.

I can't speak about shipping to Hawaii. What really ticks us Alaskans off is that UPS "Brown" does not ship via ground to us. That's ok, but anyone who does not like to use the U.S. Post Office would have to use UPS's "2 Day Air" option. That's quite a bit more expensive than U.S. Post Office Priority Mail. It's weird, sometimes the 2 Day Air is just a few dollars more and actually worth it, sometimes not! Priority Shipping via the Post Office has "tracking" if I'm not mistaken. I think UPS offers "free insurance" on items under $100? Whereas one has to pay additional for insurance from the USPS.

Doesn't the USPS's website have a shipping calculator for one zip code to another? Today I saw an ebay seller that wouldn't ship to other than the lower 48 states and to top that, said that any non-continental bidder's order would be cancelled and a "non-paying bidder report" would be filed! Almost sounds like a discrimination lawsuit to me? I won't recommend them to anyone!

Spork

Enlightened
yep just checked that out. I didn't realise it was so cheap. before i wouldnt ship there either cause i thought it was expensive and there were forms. from now on all my auctions or sales on ebay and cpf will be to all 50 states.
thanks
Chris

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing for Hawaii that you need to be concerned about (couple actually), are plants and such, and living creatures. Legally, Hawaii is a U.S. State, though with all the Japanese nationals that own land there, it might as well be part of Japan. (Didn't take it for WW2, so now they buy it.
wink.gif
)

I used to live there.

There is Hawaii and the Mainland, not Hawaii and the USA.

If shipping a flashlight, make sure it doesn't look like a pipe bomb! Better to pack it in front of postal clerk to certify it NON-dangerous. (thinking post 9/11 paranoia here)

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Shipping to Hawaii requires no special forms. Just extra $$$$ depending on the size and weight of package and the shipping distance. And there are some restrictions as to what can be shipped (no fresh produce, exotic animals, etc.)

For first class mail, it usually takes 7-14 days for something to arrive.

For Priority Mail (my favorite), West Coast is 2 days and East Coast is 3 days. On a rare occastion, it might take 4 or 5 days.

UPS 2nd Day Air is the next best option for small items. Usually between $10 - $20 dollars. For larger items (desktop computer, exercise equipment, etc.), I paid $50+ for shipping.

FedEx is also another option, and the USPS now works with them for some shipments. It's great for letters, but for pacakages I like UPS.

Ground shipping (actually, it's by boat) takes several weeks.

Lastly, Hawaiian real estate was great in the 80's, but since then, the market has been sour.