Only in America...

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This is the virtual definition of the phrase "defining deviancy down". First it started with statuatory rape laws where having sex with someone past the age of puberty but under 15, 16, 17, 18 (varies by state) was considered a crime. Next we started calling play touching in certain places among second graders "inappropriate sexual contact". Now it's finally gone to the totally ridiculous with this latest incident. If the people who make laws and policy want to have filthy minds and think every type of touching is sexual in nature that's their perogative. However, they shouldn't let their biases dictate policy. Nowadays a school teacher can't even give a student a pat on the back for a job well done without risking a sexual harassment charge.

TorchMan

Enlightened
Well, I suppose there could be more to it that stated in the article. It reminds me of a South Park episode and character.

"Don't say that, don't touch there. Don't be naughty says the silly bear. Sexual Harassment Panda!" Sexual Harassment Panda, a mascot for the South Park Elementary students.

What's next, arresting twelve year olds for opening their Christmas presents early? :grin2:

Guess I shouldn't make light of these things, can't seem to help myself.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. It is absolutely unbelievable that such a person should be employed as a teacher's aide if they display such purient interests as to find such an act by a child to be sexual in nature. Similarly the principal of that school should probably have his/her background investigation reviewed if they veiw such an act to have sexual implications. While I am aware that people who pursue careers in education are woefully underpaid, I find it highly disturbing if the field is attracting deviants who find some sort of arousal from contact with children or view casual contact as being of a sexual nature.

B@rt said:
Unbelievable... :shakehead

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are 300,000,000 people in America, so there are 300,000,000 opportunities every day for acts of dimwittedness. This is one of them. And it became newsworthy (at least at the local level) because it does not represent the norm. Were it an everyday occurrence, it would not be newsworthy.

But contrary to the title of this thread, dimwitted behavior is not confined to the New World. :)

Topper

Flashaholic*
So was this an extremly tall four year old or perhaps a very short lady? How did a 4 year old become "face to breast" with this woman? I would push this as far as I could if it were my 4 year old. Hugging is normal healthy behavior for 4 year old kids.

Topper:ohgeez:

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
B@rt said:
I really doubt this would be possible in NL.

If I were a wise guy who was weary of the prevailing attitude that America is bad and everywhere else is good, I might post this link to the United Nations' Commission on Human Rights report on racism, child prostitution, toxic waste and violence against women in the Netherlands. Were I to post such a link, it might be to remind the reader that the "America is bad, everywhere is else good" theory does not have its basis in reality. Were I a wise guy, I might also note that more people try to sneak into America in one day than have tried to breach the shores of the Koninkrijk der Nederlanden since the 80 Years War in 1568. If I were to have a point, it would be that millions of people each year still seem to believe that America is the land of freedom, hope and opportunity. And with good reason.

But since I'm not a wise guy and was not actually saying those things, and because I have pledged to refrain from squabbling with strangers on the internet, I would never say such a thing. :)

regards

DrJ

Enlightened
Shame on you PN...don't you know it's just not PC to even imply that America is an OK place....

Anyways, obviously the whole cause of this is the large number of breast augmentations we have here in the US which makes it all the more possible/probable for 4 year olds to have access to these inappropriate (albeit often accidental) encounters....

Last edited:

Topper

Flashaholic*
DrJ said:
Shame on you PN...don't you know it's just not PC to even imply that America is an OK place....

Anyways, obviously the whole cause of this is the large number of breast augmentations we have here in the US which makes it all the more possible/probable for 4 year olds to have access to these inappropriate (albeit often accidental) encounters....

I did not read that in the link provided. If you have a link stating the woman had in fact "augmentation' please clue us in.
Topper

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle said:
There are 300,000,000 people in America, so there are 300,000,000 opportunities every day for acts of dimwittedness.

Only once a day? I think you vastly over estimate the intelligence of most people. :)

:buddies:

borax

Newly Enlightened
Eh, nothing new here. Either he was really an 18 year old pretending to be a 4 year old, or the woman was probably crouched down and/or bending down showing off the goods.

You would be surprised how many women in education actually wear rather low cut tops that leave everything open to see.

Anyways, back to the point. The case here is just plain dumb and someone is trying to get money, etc at the expense of a little kid who doesn't know any better. It is a -very- common thing for young children to hug familiar people, such as a teacher or aide to the teacher that spends a lot of time in the classroom.

The fact that the school refused to remove such things from the kids record is as ridiculous as a sexual harassment allegation (sp?) against the kid in the first place and hopefully it won't follow him later into his life when he tries to become a politician or something.

As pointed out by someone earlier in the thread, teachers have pretty much no rights at all. If a teacher even lays a hand on a students shoulder and the student doesn't like it, the teacher can get fired and the school sued, etc. It's happened before.

I worked at a school where kids would fight daily and/or bring weapons to school to attack each other with, no suspensions, no expulsions, and the teachers/school were relatively powerless to do anything about it due to fear of being sued and/or fired.

The stories I could tell...:ohgeez: I'll refrain from ranting though...

On another note, for some reason one of the classes at work thought it was my birthday and a young girl came over to hug me...I guess I should sue her? :thinking:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Norm said:
Only in America a $1.99 Burger costs over $2.
Norm

Yeah, you have the cheapest burgers over there... Here in the Netherlands that same burger would cost $7....

Anyway, I think this event is pretty sad. Maybe the american justice system should be adjusted a little... How about a $10000 fine for everyone who presses charges for completely mental reasons like this incident? That should at least keep some people from abusing the justice system, and the money made from these fines could go directly to healthcare for those who cant afford it... let the poor profit from the dumb...

Led_Blind

Enlightened
It is the doo gooders of the world that are the start of the problem. They push for legislation that, it the doo gooder opinion, will protect someone from a possible nasty. Sprinkle in some politics and drive to win elections and these policies become law. So the squeaky wheel squeaks and gets attention.

Result
Poorly formed policies\laws indiscriminately applied.

How does that saying go again.. .. ..
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
one thing can be said about America. We do tend to hang our stupidity out there for everyone to see, and consequently the individual episodes of things this stupid are usually dealt with.

Seeing that I now have school age children I've followed up on the stupid things that happen in our schools and surprisingly enough the people who vote for the school board actually take an interest in who gets elected. At least after something actually happens to wake them up to the fact that the last guy they voted for was an idiot. If there is anybody in this area on the boards here they should go to the next pta or school board meeting and report back to us. What I think you'll find is that all the rest of the parents there will be completely outraged by this. The child will get let back into school and next election cycle the school board will have some rollover getting rid of whoever had the gall to stand up at the meeting and defend the actions of this teachers aid.

4 year olds are starting to be expected to be able to handle themselves in polite company, but if a teacher who is in charge of your child notes something that could be corrected by a simple "no" they really should be up to doing that rather than sending the kid home.