any cpfers have a 1080p hdtv?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
wondering if ya can tell it looks better then a 1080i tv.some reason i cant think it can look bigger unless its a 100 inch tv

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I haven't paid close attention, but in theory a 1080p display is deinterlaced so there should be less flicker and strobing on really fast moving objects like footballs and hockey sticks.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
perhaps ya are corect pw.i have a feeling most folks will be mad and upset soon if there hdtv aint hdcp. i tell ya u need a phd to figure out all this stuff i read all the stuff and when i get done im more confused the hdcp is the most scarey

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw 1080p vs 1080i on a gigantic LED screen at a retailer, and the difference was big and obvious. However, whether it would make any difference on more-common <50" screens, I don't know. I've heard it makes little difference at the smaller sizes, but don't know for sure.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
HDCP is causing a lot of grief for a lot of set owners. Some set manufacturers are making sets that only sorta meet the HDCP requirements, and when you throw an HDMI repeater between the source and the display, all bets are off!

TorchMan

Enlightened
I know what interlaced and progressive are. What does it mean, HDCP? (EDIT:Wikipedia to the rescue. I still wonder how this applies to cable TV? My TV probably does not have this, but then again I'm not using my HDMI, either.)

Joe Talmadge, can you elaborate on the differences you noticed?

I've had an HD TV for two years now, and it has served me well. Yes, it has some of the inherent drawbacks of it's type (rear proj. lcd), but still makes me ooh and ahh. I'm lucky to have it. There's always something better out there, or just around the corner!

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
It technically makes a difference that is visibly detectable. If you feed the monitor a non-interlaced signal and at the expected high scan frequency, you want the HD set that can handle this.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think it is something like this.if ya have say a 1080p tv it gives ya a certain amount of dots that make up ya picture no matter on the size of ya tv ya have the same amount of dots so the biger the screen the worst the picture far as progresve and the other im lost

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same number of dots between 1080i and 1080p, it's just only half are updated at a time with 1080i. Complicating matters further, 1080i is refreshed at 60hz while 1080p is only standardized at up to 30 fps due to bandwidth limitations. So it's only "do you want half of your screen updated twice as often," and not like 480i SDTV vs. 480p, which share the same max refresh rate.

Plus it all depends on your source. If you have an analog 1080p player like an Xbox 360 OR your 1080p TV is less than six months old (unbelievably, older Tvs capable of displaying 1080p were not able to receive 1080p through their HDMI inputs) then you may watch a HD-DVD in full 1080p. Or if you hook up your PC to a 1080p TV you can indeed use your desktop in true 1080p.

No cable, satellite, or broadcast provider currently transmits in 1080p, so it is either uprezzed (how it looks when scaled depends on the algorithm used, but never looks as good as true high resolution) or deinterlaced from 1080i (which brings all the same motion artifact problems as going from 480i SDTV to 480p did).

Yes, 1080p is the future, but by the time the future rolls around, a way to make your old TV incompatible will have been found yet again.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
1080i has more spatial resolution (more pixels per frame);

720p has more temporal resolution (more info delivered to your eyes per second)

1080p is a mash-up of both.

480i is standard NTSC resolution, the stuff we've known and (cough) loved for decades. 480p (progressive-scan SD DVD resolution) is simply 480i de-interlaced. What's interesting is that 480p looks a lot more like HD than SD even though there's no additional detail being transmitted; the display is simply interpolating pixels between successive fields.

So if your ATSC 8-VSB HD 1080i HDMI doesn't ACK HDCP, you're SOL. :laughing:

Last edited: