Disdain for the day?

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone besides myself has noticed that they have developed a certain longing for the night. I mean what good is a flashlight if there's a huge shiny orb up in the sky illuminating everything? I just caught myself the other day looking out the window and when I noticed that it was stilll daylight, I got this sinking feeling. :laughing:
Just wondering if I am alone in my wishing for darkness.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't share your longing, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few others who may have similar interests. I wouldn't start thinking that it was terribly odd, especially when you can justify it due to a hobby interest.

With regards to the sinking feeling, there are lots of things, including the holidays, that can cause a mild depression, for some people it can become severe or clinical. Paradoxically, I understand that a lack of daylight can also contribute to the onset of depression for some people.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I've heard that people get depressed in the winter months due to the shorter daylight periods. I don't know for sure but maybe if those people got some nice flashlights, they might begin to associate nighttime with fun. Then again I think I remember reading that the depression results from subconcious parts of the mind as well as obvious stimuli so it might not work so well after all.
Anyway, It's not like I hate the daytime seriously or anything. :lolsign:
I just found myself wishing for more nighttime and I thought I'd post something about it. :popcorn:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that a lack of daylight can also contribute to the onset of depression for some people.

Yep, I've heard that those countries up in the north pole regions have insanely high suicide rates in the winter when it's dark for 20 hours a day or whatever...

CFU

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've worked many a swing shift and later. While I'm accustomed to this schedule, I long for the blue skies and daylight. The enjoyment to use the lights is fun but no way would I want to -have- to use them, then the hobby would be too consuming. A big open blue sky with clouds is like a mental release. :)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the night time too, but not only for playing with (I mean using) my flashlights, but I'm also a huge drive-in theater fan. Man, I can't wait till spring!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sigman said:
Move to Alaska - we seem to have a little too much darkness in the winter!! :ohgeez:

At least you don't get harassed for using lights!!!

I got questioned by at least 5-6 cops this year, each one says the same thing:
"so, what were you doing shining lights around for no reason?"

Next thing you know there is gonna be a no-brandishing law on lights and we have to have permits for them. :ohgeez:

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
270winchester said:
At least you don't get harassed for using lights!!!

I got questioned by at least 5-6 cops this year, each one says the same thing:
"so, what were you doing shining lights around for no reason?"

Next thing you know there is gonna be a no-brandishing law on lights and we have to have permits for them. :ohgeez:

On the one hand, they shouldn't bother you for having some innocent fun. I strongly oppose anti-flashlight using policies. On the other hand, flashlights aren't what most people consider fun. The unusual is suspicious to the police because it usually means there is a problem. When you deal with guilty people 75% of the time it makes you suspicious of everybody. Finally, seems like a good opportunity to talk flashlights and convert them to flashaholics. Get them to join us and they wont pester people about flashlights anymore.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
I have always been a night owl. I perfer to stay up late. Ironically, when out in the dark I have prefered to become a shadow in the night without using a flashlight. When you have a light on, you aren't part of the night. When I was a kid I aways excelled at night games like capture the flag. I love the light, but I feel at home in the darkness.