I Hate My New P1D CE (read on)

anch

Newly Enlightened
I turned on my McLux PD on maximum and it looks crazy bright.
Then I turn on my P1D CE and suddenly my McLux PD looks dim and yellow

Next I turned on my Aleph 2 (nexgen 750) on high and it looks crazy bright.
Then I turn on my P1D CE and suddenly my Aleph looks dim and yellow

I turned on my HDS B60 on maximum and it looks crazy bright.
Then I turn on my P1D CE and suddenly my HDS looks dim and yellow

Oh the woe and anguish - how could my 3 best flashlights all start malfunctioning at the same time? LOL

I love the P1D CE

Anch

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Good thing I just started buying lights. So far I only have a couple smaller fenixes and a Streamlight Keymate! I guess it's a good thing P1D CE is my first purchase of any light over 50 dollars! Good for me! muahhaha :)

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need some loose piece crees and a soldering iron :)

planex

Newly Enlightened
Yes, sad but true. I think I am going to have the same experience with my lights as well. Isn't technology wonderful?

Looking forward to getting my P1D CE so I can "hate" mine as well. :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wish they would come out with a Cree that was more side emitting like a Luxeon. I would love to put one in my modded L1 - I got a KL1 head on it with McR20 reflector...

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
anch said:
I turned on my McLux PD on maximum and it looks crazy bright.
Then I turn on my P1D CE and suddenly my McLux PD looks dim and yellow

Anch
You can sent your McLux PD to member 4/7 to put the Cree in it. Then you turn on your McLux PD on max and it look crazy bright again. :grin2:

Roccomo

Enlightened
Just received my P1D and though it will not replace my U60 GT it does appear to be whiter.

anch

Newly Enlightened
glockboy said:
You can sent your McLux PD to member 4/7 to put the Cree in it. Then you turn on your McLux PD on max and it look crazy bright again. :grin2:

I'll keep my PD the way it is. It was the best of the best when it was made - and that's the way it should stay. It is a classic of [recent] history and I want "classics" to stay the way they were made

Now, if I can only get a new PD that comes with a Cree - that will be my next classic

anch

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D CE rocks. It is way brighter, with longer run times, and flatter regulation than any other one cell cr123 light. It even smokes my HDS U60 GT.

dchao

Enlightened
:ironic: Thats why people buy Surefire flashlights, they are probably going to be the last to come out with Cree lights. So your investment will be protected for the longest time.

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I got my P1D-CR natural yesterday and I am still not believing the amount of light that is coming out of that tiny flashlight. The throw on this light is easily 160-180 feet. From a light no bigger than my thumb!!! 12 year old son was more amazed than I, and I was really amazed.

I could easily see to my back fence and beyond. My back fence is 46 yards from the house and I could see well past that. I don't hunt white walls and could care less about the esoteric measurements. I am concerned with the real world and I am hear to tell you that in the real world, this light is a wonder. My God, what else is coming?

By the way, the 'rings' did not affect this light.

LITEDISORDER

Newly Enlightened
I am still waiting for my P1D CE, But does anyone know how it compares to the ORB RAW on high.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I felt the same way. So Instead of having one of my prized Pd's modded, I bought one on the BST. It was from Osprey Guy and it was a light I talked him into that he never liked. (I can't understand why but to each his own) Anyway I had him send it to 4X7's and he did the mod.
The results are very good.
It is no longer the "classic" it once was to be sure.

It is sort of like taking a new mustang and having Carol Shelby "fix 'er up" for you. You are used to a certain handling and acceleration form the car but in fact it is a race car that looks stock. (this is most likely a bad analogy but what the heck) Anyway the modded PD has the same smooth twisty action, the same 2 level drive, it looks the same. but when you engage the power it is no longer the same. It is a major (40%)improvement in lumen output. Tint is great too.

Believe me I know how you feel about tinkering with a classic.
One other point it is most likely going to be some time before the Cree based xr series of Pd's start to be available form Don. In my opinion this is a great alternative to them. Another thing is I don't believe that Don plans on offering hin xr series in anything but titanium. I happen to love TI but the price on these lights is through the roof.
I was able to get a Cree based McXXX PD-Cree for around $300 all In.
Not a bad deal on an Updated "Classic".

Now back on topic.
I have noticed the same effect when running Crees and Luxes side by side.
Colors you never knew existed become visible right before your eyes.
The key here, and This is true even when using Luxeons too, is only use one light at a time. That works for me anyway.
Yaesumofo

anch said:
I'll keep my PD the way it is. It was the best of the best when it was made - and that's the way it should stay. It is a classic of [recent] history and I want "classics" to stay the way they were made

Now, if I can only get a new PD that comes with a Cree - that will be my next classic

anch

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good one anch - LOL - had me going for a second. Yes - you think you know what white looks like until you get a good XR-E and my P1D CE has one very white Cree. I think the HDS U60's are in a class by theirself and one doesn't replace the other - you just need more pockets :D

Latest posts