If arc aaa was so popular... update (bought one)...

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Why doesn't some manufacture start making replicas of the same or basically same quality body and use better leds etc...? they would sell like hotcakes

Everyone who has an arc says how great it is blah blah blah. i dont understand since I havent owned one but for the amount of money and light output I'd rather go with something else like fenix...

Last edited:

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: If arc aaa was so popular...

They are well-made. Sometimes, it's not all about having the biggest/brightest light on the planet. Sometimes, it's best to have a nice "floody" light for closeup work so you don't blind yourself and don't lose as much of your night-adapted sight.

It's all personal preference.

JM-99

EV_007

Enlightened

The nice usable floody beam of the Arc-P is very useful for everyday close to mid range uses. I love floody LEDs and the Arc-P does not disappoint.

As I've mentioned before, LEDs work well for indoor or close range outdoor applications. The Arc-P hasn't been replaced on my keyring YET. Perhaps the XR-E mod in the Arc body may prove promising.

The build quality is indeed worth it.

B@rt

Flashaholic

The main reason the Arc is so popular is the "groupie effect" :ironic:
20060507011707screenshohs5.png

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

EsthetiX said:
well why are they so popular the output is weak and theyre only 1 stage. is it just because the bodys feel solid?

In their day the ARC AAA was THE hottest thing out there. Damm near as hot as the new Playstation. When they stopped making them people were offering them here NIP for $90! But like anything else something better comes along. The only thing like it was the Maglight Solitaire, which when it first came out was dynamite!

Although many here (including me) would say that the ARC AAA still fills a niche. It's a small tiny light, tough as nails with a long runtime that is great in dark eye adapted environment.

For instance after an hour or so of darkness my little Fenix L0P will burn your retinas but the ARC will be supurb.

P.S. My apologies to Peter for mentioning Maglight and ARC AAA in the same posting

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

270winchester said:
if you have to ask, don't bother. Go buy your Fenix and be happy. I paid close to full retail for a used AAA-P and its' worth evry penny.

I have to admit that I dont get it either. Or is it more of an emotional attachment? Like my bro who loves his Volvo Amazon.

EsthetiX

Enlightened

I can understand how people dont like the l0p because its too high but the l0p se has a low setting you can just turn it to with one turn. Or if you cant handle doing that 1 extra little turn move then what's wrong with fenix E0? I'm still having a hard time being convinced. CONVINCE ME!!!!!!! :)

xdanx

Enlightened

270winchester said:
if you have to ask, don't bother. Go buy your Fenix and be happy. I paid close to full retail for a used AAA-P and its' worth evry penny.

+1, I am tired of defending Arc. I am completely satisfied with mine and am done being attacked by Fenix fans.

Last edited:

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened

i like the multiple levels, but it's like power windows on a car- convenient, but one more thing to malfunction and cause problems down the road.

if the l0p se is like an suv with all the options- gps, dvd players, etc... the arc would be a bare bones pickup truck. it's just what you prefer.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

No emotional attachment, this is the second Arc I owned so far and I gave my last one away to my Dad and kept my Ultra-G.

The build quality of the Arc is the main attraction, the annodizing and the interior coating is found on lights much bigger and expensive. THe LED....well it's a little blue, but no worse than any other 5MM LEDs I have seen. The regulation is great for a AAA alkaline battery and the thing just looks awsome.

The biggest attraction for me is how useful and well built it is. If that makes me a Lemming, well, guilty as charged.

Lobo said:
I have to admit that I dont get it either. Or is it more of an emotional attachment? Like my bro who loves his Volvo Amazon.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast

Estheti said:
I can understand how people dont like the l0p because its too high but the l0p se has a low setting you can just turn it to with one turn. Or if you cant handle doing that 1 extra little turn move then what's wrong with fenix E0? I'm still having a hard time being convinced. CONVINCE ME!!!!!!! :)

Over the years, I`ve bought, sold, gifted, collected, and used at least 200 or more of the Arc AAA`s. It remains my most used flashlight, nothwithstanding all of the other flashlights I have in my collection.

If you feel you have to be *convinced*, though, life is way too short for that. Just pass it by, and enjoy the lights that you are excited about.

Enjoy your Fenix! It was made for you!

:)

Last edited:

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

EsthetiX said:
Everyone who has an arc says how great it is blah blah blah. i dont understand since I havent owned one but for the amount of money and light output I'd rather go with something else like fenix...

this is the most self-contradicting statement I have seen in long time:

let's see:

you admit you have not had one, so you don't have experience with it.

at the same time, the people who have them all like it, it should be a very favorable testimony to the product. But, you question the feedback of the owners and make up your own mind about why you don't want it.

We have newbies every once in while and declare war on Arc, Surefire, Don, Etc, with statements like
"man, SF/McGizmo/Arc/HDS are so over priced for the output."

then the people who have lived with the lights would testify.

then other people would chime in on how smart they are by buying
cheaper lights that claim inflated output/spec.

then nothing gets solved. And the cycle continues.

Then 2 months later the same newbies would come back and say,
"wow, I just bought my first SF/HDS/McLux/Arc, it's so much better than _____"

:rolleyes:

EsthetiX

Enlightened

270winchester said:
this is the most self-contradicting statement I have seen in long time:

let's see:

you admit you have not had one, so you don't have experience with it.

at the same time, the people who have them all like it, it should be a very favorable testimony to the product. But, you question the feedback of the owners and make up your own mind about why you don't want it.

Exactly I dont have one I want to hear you guys defend it and convince me why its good because I am curious. On my own I cant find reason as to why I would want to pay the extra for it. There have so far been some good points since I asked this. So I am happy with my initial post. Understand now? :) No hard feelings. ha

cy

Flashaholic

carp... that was pretty good... he he

why don't you simply purchase a used ARC AAA ($25-35) and check it out for yourself. if you don't like it, odds are you can sell it for about same price paid.

that's a pretty low investment, with excellent resale value.
you may end up keeping it :D

JimmyB

Enlightened

What a condescending, arrogant response. If it doesn't meet your needs, fine. But why belittle those who find it does fill a need, and does so in a way no other available light does?

I have a Fenix E0 and like it just fine, but the anodizing has not held up like the Arc has. My Arc is completely waterproof and my E0 is not. The head on the Arc is easy to turn but does not turn on inadvertantly. The threads are nice and tight so there is no play in the head. There is no flickering when it is barely engaged.

It's certainly has weaknesses, but to suggest those who prefer the Arc are lemmings is just plain rude.

B@rt said:
The main reason the Arc is so popular is the "groupie effect"
icon6.gif

20060507011707screenshohs5.png