Maxlife mods?

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
Curious if anyone has had a chance to mod out a stanley maxlife yet. I saw it and noticed the leds are poor and its asking to be modded out. curious if anyone else has had success yet.

I was thinking of putting in 3 3watt luxes, using regulation, and having the dimming feature modded to dim all 3 vs lighing 1 at full potential since luxes run more efficent at dimmer settings (run cooler). and of course switch to some some nice rechargeables to get a decent run time mixed with the brightness. I figure i can get 10+ hours out of it with very very useable light. Right now i am using an Inova T3 and it gets about 6-8 hours run time.

*edit.... did some math. with voltage regulation, i am going to need to use different batteries. with 3 aa's i will get 4.5 volts, i figure i need around 6volts. any good cross over canidates?

Last edited:

jcoldwater

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could run it off 9v with 2 cells each leg plus a dummy cell. I'm just rambling.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
jcoldwater said:
Sounds like a good idea. Maybe you could run it off 9v with 2 cells each leg plus a dummy cell. I'm just rambling.
\
you thinking of li-ply's? i guess i could, i was also really wanting to keep the ampage very high.... are there any really high ma longer batts out there?

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
nvm i see what ur saying now, but now that i think of it, i could run it off of 2 lithuims in the each leg with a dummy. this will give me 6+ volts to work with with about the same mA value. i wonder if there is anyway i can get more mA outta it. 3 dummy's is kinda wasting space.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
the more i think on this... the more i want to use SMJled replacements. does anyone have their power requirements? all i can find is 80ma and produces 15 lumens.

another option i guess i have is that i can use a boost converter and put in my 3 aa Nimh batts per leg.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
ok what does everyone think of this set up.... Running Nimh batts, gonna try and find some 2200-2600 mAh AA's. 3 lux I's in series and getting a Max flex driver. I figure roughly i will be able to pull 135 lum off of them, with a life span just short of 5 hours.
and i will set up a mode where they are running around 150ma and i hope to get around 67 lumens, but at a life span of 15 hours. This looks like it would work perfect for what i am needed. Does everything sound right?