Power Outage in my area...WOOHOO!!!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sitting here on CPF and boom all the lights went out last night, darn the luck! I grabbed all my lights, and walked around the block to make sure it wasn't just my house. The whole block didnt have power. The ARC in my pocket led me to my E2e on the table, and used that to grab my US. I pity those that weren't prepared, cause I had plenty of light
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
You lucky guy! Haven't had a power ottage here for over a year... except for the rotating outtages during the stupid DAYLIGHT hours.
frown.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell, you can thank Enron for those. We had a power outage here this summer, and it was more than the local pole transformer. It was at night (woohoo!). I suspect it was either a substation or a 96 KV feeder. This was long after some bodacious thunderstorms went through. So, something in the grid probably got nailed by lightning, well east of here.

I just don't care for outages when the outside temp is -20F. That happened years ago, when the ground wire on TOP of the 96KV Mansfield-Galion feeder line broke, draped across the hots, and shorted the whole mess out. The guys who have go find the break, then fix it, don't like it either.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by darell:
You lucky guy! Haven't had a power ottage here for over a year... except for the rotating outtages during the stupid DAYLIGHT hours.
frown.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">For our wedding anniversary a few weeks ago, my wife and I took a weekend vacation and stayed in a nice hotel.

What a great night that was! The power went out and I got to use all of the Arc and Surefire flashlights I took along!

grin.gif
grin.gif

TOB9595

Enlightened
Congrats on your power failure! I'm still waiting patiently for mine to happen. With my luck it'll happen during the day
frown.gif

Wonder what people would think if they read these posts without being privy to "The Light"
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
I just don't care for outages when the outside temp is -20F.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's when you need an overdriven Luxeon to hold for sure! Powered by Li batteries, of course.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at least the rest of us have daylight savings (switching back) to look forward to. I don't know about the rest of you but here in Michigan it will soon be dark at 5:00 PM EST.
grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by jtivat:
Well at least the rest of us have daylight savings (switching back) to look forward to. I don't know about the rest of you but here in Michigan it will soon be dark at 5:00 PM EST.
grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yup, same for most of the northern US. Soon as the time changes back, I can kiss off any after work outdoor activities. Of course by this time, it's generally too cold anyhow. By Christmas, it will be dark in my locale shortly after 4:00 P.M. Of course in the opposite spectrum, I don't like it in June and July when it gets light at 5 A.M. If not for daylight savings time, it would be even worse.

A couple of years ago, at a start up company, I worked mega hours. Literally every day I drove to and from work in the complete dark for a three or four month stretch. I mostly worked in a lab area with no windows. For the entire work week, the only natural light I would see was if I purposely situated myself during lunch to be near a window. Even the cafe and my office cubicle area were windowless. If the weather wasn't too freezing, I often would go out to my car during lunch. I wouldn't do too well in Alaska I think.

Concerning power outages, I'm going to start a new thread.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You lucky guy!

I fantasize about a massive power outage, where I'm the only guy prepared with flashlights, and I just walk down the street shining them at people, and laughing at them as I pass by.
grin.gif

Damn Y2K! What a disappointment!
blush.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif