JimmyNC

Newly Enlightened
I want to get my dad a flashlight as a christmas present
he likes flashlights and has a lot of them so I want to get something impresive
I am not against buying a kit it would be fun to put one together
just something crazy bright and able to be caried around easily for around $100

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
For $100, you have a lot of choices!! Since you want to give him something that is crazy bright, you might wanna try those Surefire incands. w/P61 120-lumen lamp.

Or, may I recommend the Inova T3. It's an 82-lumen LED flashlight and has 2+ hours of runtime.

Good luck!

carrot

Flashaholic
A Surefire E2e would be a nice gift. It's around $80 from OpticsHQ. For $100 you can get the E2L from OpticsHQ, which uses a LED but has a tight beam which seems to not appeal to everyone.

The E2e is more useful overall, IMO, unless runtime is of great importance. Using the stock MN03 lamp, it runs for about an hour, but with the optional MN02 lamp, its runtime is longer, though somewhat less bright. I would recommend the E2e and an MN02 from OpticsHQ.com

If he's already got a few Surefires, build him a ROP 2C -- it's a modified Maglite 2C. There's instructions listed all over CPF.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're dad is in to flashlights I think he'll love the Fenix P1D CE, it's the hottest thing around now(check the other threads about it here, hard to miss). It's crazy bright, crazy small, and has a lot of functions like 3 different brigthness lvls, strobe and SOS-mode. It's 70USD, only trouble is that it so high demand on it, so it might be hard to get it before christmas.

bxstylez

Enlightened
carrot said:
A Surefire E2e would be a nice gift. It's around $80 from OpticsHQ. For $100 you can get the E2L from OpticsHQ, which uses a LED but has a tight beam which seems to not appeal to everyone.

The E2e is more useful overall, IMO, unless runtime is of great importance. Using the stock MN03 lamp, it runs for about an hour, but with the optional MN02 lamp, its runtime is longer, though somewhat less bright. I would recommend the E2e and an MN02 from OpticsHQ.com

If he's already got a few Surefires, build him a ROP 2C -- it's a modified Maglite 2C. There's instructions listed all over CPF.

here's some info on the ROP 2C:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120462

http://lights.lightrefineries.org/?page_id=9

also, check out lapolicegear.com
http://www.lapolicegear.com/sue2wwilicl.html

they might still have the surefire e2w (winelight) for $56, free shipping...
basically its like the e2e, except for the color of the flashlight head,body,tail..
a somewhat burgandy/purplish color

it might be something 'exotic' for your dad to collect

Last edited:

bxstylez

Enlightened
Lobo said:
If you're dad is in to flashlights I think he'll love the Fenix P1D CE, it's the hottest thing around now(check the other threads about it here, hard to miss). It's crazy bright, crazy small, and has a lot of functions like 3 different brigthness lvls, strobe and SOS-mode. It's 70USD, only trouble is that it so high demand on it, so it might be hard to get it before christmas.

jimmync mentioned something about a xmas present.....

currently, fenix-store.com wont have any of those fenix p1d ce in stock until after new years
:whistle:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
bxstylez said:
jimmync mentioned something about a xmas present.....

currently, fenix-store.com wont have any of those fenix p1d ce in stock until after new years
:whistle:

Realized that, but there are other ways to get it. :)
There were some threads before about it being available on ebay etc, so it might not be entirely impossible to get one.

Allthough that I would recommend fenix-store otherwise.

JimmyB

Enlightened
My Surefire L4 is probably the light that elicits the coveted "holy $hit" phrase more than any other conventional light in that price range. It's a bit more than $100 but can be purchased through tacticalsupply.com or opticshq.com for about $130 total, using CPF discounts. If you're interested in going this route, send me a PM and I'll explain how.

As someone else mentioned, some of the hotwire lights are great dollar to lumen values and can be put together for under $100. They will be way brighter than the L4 (although much larger too). They do require a bit more care and understanding on the users part than most conventional lights, so if that is an issue I'd stick with production products.

JimmyNC

Newly Enlightened
ok out of the suggestions so far which is the brightest? the L4? the Surefire incands. w/P61 120-lumen lamp? or the T3?

The harbor freight light looks cool but I think it would be neater if he could put it in his pocket or on a belt?

which one would have the best wow factor way brighter then a maglite?
runtime isn't really important

CQB

Enlightened
JimmyNC said:
ok out of the suggestions so far which is the brightest? the L4? the Surefire incands. w/P61 120-lumen lamp? or the T3?

The harbor freight light looks cool but I think it would be neater if he could put it in his pocket or on a belt?

which one would have the best wow factor way brighter then a maglite?
runtime isn't really important

well the T3 has the least amt of lumens i think. The P60 bulb has more throw & is brighter. The L4 has the most light overall but less throw than the P60. I second the suggestion for the L4. It's very bright for its size and quality is pretty much second to none. The clip allows various ways for carrying.

Compared to a typical stock maglite the L4 would put out way more overall light. Maglites are great at "throw" though as you can focus the beam pretty tight. Take the avg maglight and compare the beam with a L4 indoors. The L4 would light up a larger overall area, which to me, is pretty darn impressive.

But if your dad has several lights already, his idea of a "wow" light may be different, perhaps something he doesnt already have. Good luck!

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the other posters the Fenix P1D CE and Surefire e2e are both good choices. The P1D is doubly-impressive because of the tiny size coupled with high output. Plus it avoids the "where do I get new lithium batteries" problem, since it can run an RCR123A.

I've gifted several two-cell CR123A lights, and invariably the recipient has trouble after the batteries run down. For this reason I now either include a 10-pack of batteries, or restrict the choices to a single-cell light which can accept an RCR123A, and include a nano charger.

The e2e is a great light -- very bright, easy to use, small size. However it takes two batteries and can't use rechargeables.

The L4 puts out a lot of light but the beam is a very broad flood. It's not really a general-purpose beam design. Of course flashaholics understand such beams have a useful purpose, but to the average person, flood beams don't look as bright and generally aren't as impressive.

Another option might be an Orb Raw or Orb Ns, both available with the Cree XR-E emitter. The machined metal finish has a nice appearance, useful for a gift situation. The XR-E emitter in the Orb Raw transforms it from a short runtime "pocket rocket" to a multi-output general-purpose light. Using the XR-E, I think run time on high is about 1 hr, at about 80 lumens. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=143557

The tritium locators available with the Raw are also a nice touch.

Last edited:

JimmyNC

Newly Enlightened
currently he has a couple of old mag lites and a work station light kinda like the harbor freight light but it has to be plugged in

JimmyNC

Newly Enlightened
ok I have been looking at the ORB NS Smoothy Two Stage 14250 Flashlight
and it looks pretty nice $109 and 77 lumens

if the next brightest one you all are suggesting is only 80 lumens then I think I might want to go with this one

carrot

Flashaholic
The problem with the Orb is that it's not designed to run for long periods at a time on high. I think the battery supports 15 minutes of runtime on high, which may or may not be what you're looking for. I personally think that a Surefire E-series or the L4 would be a good choice. But if you're looking for bright, nothing else will beat the ROP in your price range for a handheld.