Power outage again!

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Winds are very strong. Lights are flickering. For the third time this year I'm about to lose power. :rock:

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power went out again last night at 5pm or so. It just came back on at 9am. Estimates are as high as 1million customers without power because of the storms. Trees are down everywhere and the bridges were closed this morning as well as local schools.
I learned a few things.
1. I am totaly prepared for at least a week of darkness (just in case the sun doesnt come up for a whole week)
2. coffee is hard to make if you don't have a manual grinder whole beans only) and no way to boil water
3. you can almost boil water with a 5 tea lights on your electric stove. It takes about an hour to get hot enough for coffee.
4. boredom sucks and so does local radio.
5. cell phone games and newspapers are pretty cool.
6. wish I had a portable dvd player or laptop with serious battery life (enough for a movie or two)
Anyway I'm happy to have power so my food doesnt spoil. My cable is out so I have to steal my neigbors internet to write you this.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm mostly concerned with losing all my perrishables and my car doesnt generate enough to run my fridge.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...4. boredom sucks and so does local radio....
We like the GE SuperRadio III and the CCRadios. They give you the most listening choices during the daylight hours and after the sun goes down you may use them to DX stations in many states.
...6. wish I had a portable dvd player or laptop with serious battery life (enough for a movie or two)...
Audiobooks in MP3 format are really nice when the lights go out. I can get 4-5 full sized, unabridged books on 1 CD and it takes very little power to play them through a small speaker. Listening to them is also a posture independant activity that may be done in dim light.

I've mentioned planning for entertainment during emergencies in other threads and in our experience it is a great idea. I'd imagine if we were cooped up with kids or a bunch of relatives or even strangers it could be still more important.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I'm one of the 130,000 or so people in Seattle proper (a few miles north of Auburn) without power since last night. I have plenty of lights though, and a camp stove. My hot water heater has kept the water amazingly hot for 9 hours. I admit not having the whole coffee bean thing figured out without power. Guess I'll be tossing a fair amount of food from the freezer and fridge.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm west of Seattle, on the Olympic Peninsula. We've had several storms this year that knocked out power locally, sometimes for days. I'm off-grid and have never lost power. I have solar panels and a wind generator. My stove is fired by propane, and I have a wood-burning stove. I also have back-up generators and plenty of stored food. When the storm blew through last night, my wind generator howled and filled my batteries. I'm a vegan, so I don't eat meat. My fridge is the outside air, which is the same type of fridge the pioneers here had (outside box with screen door). This system seems primative, but it works extremely well this time of year.

It's ironic, but because power and utilities are so reliable in the city, people don't have back-up systems and they tend to loose critical services during big storms. Out here in the wilderness, where there are no reliable utility services, I have to pay attention to my back-up systems, and so I don't lose power or water or food during even the biggest storms.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey said:
I'm west of Seattle, on the Olympic Peninsula. We've had several storms this year that knocked out power locally, sometimes for days. I'm off-grid and have never lost power. I have solar panels and a wind generator. My stove is fired by propane, and I have a wood-burning stove. I also have back-up generators and plenty of stored food. When the storm blew through last night, my wind generator howled and filled my batteries. I'm a vegan, so I don't eat meat. My fridge is the outside air, which is the same type of fridge the pioneers here had (outside box with screen door). This system seems primative, but it works extremely well this time of year.

It's ironic, but because power and utilities are so reliable in the city, people don't have back-up systems and they tend to loose critical services during big storms. Out here in the wilderness, where there are no reliable utility services, I have to pay attention to my back-up systems, and so I don't lose power or water or food during even the biggest storms.
Ha ha! Hippie!:crackup:

Latest posts