Light to leave in a car glovebox

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this topic has been hit a lot over the years that I've been on CPF.

Although, I just came across a nice discussion in the CPF Batteries area:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144039

...talking about the high discharge rate of NiMH that is made better now with Sanyo Eneloop batteries. I also (finally) understand why alkalines don't do as well in high drain applications (like digital cameras) due to their high internal resistance. Under heavy load, much of the energy of the alkaline battery is simply dissapated as heat instead of doing useful work. Whereas, in a low drain application (like an Infinity Ultra), they can deliever their power slowly and therefore more completely (with less lost to heat).

I have two really nice LED lights, both use 4 AAs, that I like:

UK 4AA eLed ...about 11 hours runtime, fully regulated
SL ProPoly Lux ...about 5 hours runtime, mostly regulated?

So... which would be better to leave in the glovebox if I'm using alkalines 'cause I don't want NiMHs to be discharged right about the time I need my emergency light? ...I'm thinking the one with the lower current drain (the UK 4AA).

On another aspect... I've read a few times here on CPF that multi-cell flashlights can lead to drained batteries because the batteries interact with one another while they are sitting there. And... that if the batteries are "engaged" as they would be in a regular multi-cell flashlight, that they can interact with the case of the flashlight if it is metal.

So... since I can loosen the light heat on the UK 4AA so that it isn't even in contact with the batteries until I need it, is this also a vote for such a light?

And... does this mean that the ultimate glove box light would be a relatively low drain, single cell, battery-not-in-contact light like the Infinity Ultra?

Just some thoughts on an old topic... :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that lithium batts hold up better under extremes of tempature. So you might want a single AA light...or a single 123 batt light.

LightBright

Enlightened
Lithiums have a 10yr+ shelf life. Find a relatively inexpensive (in case your car gets stolen) Lithium powered, medium bright (more than 1 hr is a good thing) light.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use lithium batteries for flashlights left in my vehicles, due to Alkaline's propensity to leak when exposed to high temperatures.

wotblake

Newly Enlightened
brinkman maxfire

$15 bucks or so with batteries. Bass pro shop has them on sale for 14.88 I think right now.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
In each of our four cars, I keep a lithium-AA powered long lasting LED light (most are MiniMags with LED conversions) and a lithium 123 cell powered bright incan light (most are SF G2's). I'm also starting to put AAA powered headlamps in each of our cars, and each of those will be powered by Energizer lithium AAA batteries. If it can't be powered by lithium cells, it doesn't stay in my car for extended periods of time. I use lithium cells for three main reasons: long shelf life, less likely to leak compared to alkalines, and greater resistance to heat and cold extremes.

-Keith

WNG

Enlightened
Cells in multi-cell lights don't have a tendency to react between cells or a given flashlight casing material when not being used. Not possible. There is an open circuit.
Most cell failures/drains are caused by internal defects.
Only thing that can happen is anodic corrosion due to dissimilar contact materials.
But most cells have similar contacts, and the flashlight if made well, should have been designed with this under consideration.
Bare aluminum and bare steel and bare copper contact points can be vulnerable.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium batteries.

I stuff the lithium "smoke detector 5-year" 9v batteries into PALights for emergency use.

I use lithium AAs in some converted min-Mags with Shoppe modules.

Lithium will still work at freezing temperatures. Anything else drops drastically in voltage when it's really cold

(I also keep an old Palm III PDA with lithium AAAs to use for snow camping, for reading during the long nights --- same thing, any other kind of battery gets really cold and the PDA thinks it's dead.)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
wotblake said:
brinkman maxfire
$15 bucks or so with batteries. Bass pro shop has them on sale for 14.88 I think right now.

The Maxfire is cheap enough to not care about leaving in the car, Lithium powered, and rubber coated for comfortable cold weather handling, but not quite as relaible as I'd like for an emergency light. I just spent an hour rebuilding the switch on one last night after it melted itself from 25 seconds of use with a 3W BOG. After tearing it down and seeing the cheap design and construction, I don't feel good about it and will replace my car one with a G2. I'll miss that clicky, but it's still finicky now after the rebuild. I had to grind out melted plastic, restretch the spring, clean and reform the contacts. It only works - switching on or off - reliably ~75% of the time. Quality lights are worth the extra money if you ever have an emergency.

I also keep an Inova X5 in the car - reliable and indestructable with long life and floody general purpose beam for working on the car. Thinking about wrapping it in a foam sleeve for the winter to make it cold hand friendly.

I only keep CR123 lights in the car for backups and emergency use. Winter nights get cold in Michigan.

Last edited:

tron3

Banned
I'm with Hank. While Alkalines tolerate temps well, they don't hold a charge and have tolerance like Lithium AA's.

I say Fenix L2T with litium. Lots of light for emergencies and long running time on Lithiums. Switchable to low for conserving power.

Boomerang

Newly Enlightened
I keep the Inova 24/7 light in the car.

Can't beat the red-white-yellow rapid-fire and throbbing red-yellow strobes in the magnetic mount on the back hood in a roadside emergency.

Andy

fishx65

Enlightened
20 bucks for the Dorcy single 123 luxeon at Target would be a solid light to throw in the glove box. I also like to have a good headlamp in the truck just in case I have to change a tire. I've also used my EOS headlamp as a handheld many times.

kc2ouf

Newly Enlightened
I gave my colleagues Dorcy 123's for Christmas. Most of them put them in their cars. One, a budding flashaholic, keeps his in his waist pouch.

For 20$ I don't think you can go wrong. Mine's seen daily use and been through 4 batteries without a problem.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use lithium AAs in your ProPoly 4AA for their long shelf life and good cold weather performance.

The ProPoly and UK 4AAs are GREAT lights!

lukus

Enlightened
I just got a Lumapower LM-301 from the manufacturers corner to put in the glovebox. Clickie switch with two levels and uses a single AA. And it works fine with lithium batts. Really impressed with the quality for a $20 light. I put a couple of wraps of reflective tape around it to make it easier to find if dropped or left
behind. Definitely use the lithiums in the car.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
I really don't have a battery flashlight as a "glove-box light." Even in a moderate climate like Chicago my car interior can get either extremely hot or cold. I just don't want flashlight batteries sitting around in those conditions. Instead, my glove box has a cigarette lighter-powered, hand-held spotlight for "looking around." Picked it up at a going-out-of-business sale at a hardware store.

I rely on emergency illumination from my EDC lights that are kept in pants or jacket pockets in winter or a fanny pack in summer. Those are a PT EOS headlamp, an Inova X5 and a Gerber IU. To prevent frozen batts, they are usually kept around body temperature by using inside jacket pockets.

That being said, I think the UK 4AA eLed and the SL ProPoly Lux are both wonderful lights. I have both except that I have the UK zoom version. Why don't you try each in your glove box and see if either performs better.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a G2 in my glovebox. Uses lithium batteries so I don't have to worry about dead cells. The light is nice and bright, and since I don't use it much, runtime isn't much of an issue. However, I am thinking about throwing a new XO in there for a longer runtime light in case I need it.

Newuser01

Enlightened
ikendu said:
UK 4AA eLed ...about 11 hours runtime, fully regulated
SL ProPoly Lux ...about 5 hours runtime, mostly regulated
I have the PP lux, Nimh in them for use every day, and there is a pack of E2's under the seat for emergency.

Note: Alway batteries and flashlights with batteries in door pocket or under seat where temp is less extreme!!! No prolems so far, but where I live is not as cold or as hot as some of you. E2's will go along ways to keep the power in the car! And take care to keep it out of direct sunlight and glovebox as they get hotter.

This has worked for me so far as a couple of years and never left me out without light.

Regards.
MarryXmas !
brilliantdisplayinterfiid3.jpg