What light do/did you use most in a power outage?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
V8TOYOTATRK's post got me thinking. If anybody else has experienced a power outage in recent years, what was your situation and what lights did you use?

For myself, the last extended power outage we had was the winter before last and I didn't have nearly the extended LED collection that I have now. I know for sure that I did have a Trek 7 and a Turtlelite 2 as well as PAL lights. I was inside and the light I actually used most was a florescent tube Coleman lamp. Thankfully I had fresh D cells available. For trips to the potty, etc. the Turtlelite 2 provided ample enough light. I did venture outside and it was so cool as all the street lights, etc. were out. Although I did have and carried an E2, the Trek 7 generally provided enough light to see what was going on. Now of course, one of my Luxeon lights would get the lion's share of work as far as walking around but I would probably still use the Coleman lamp as well.

bmsmith

Enlightened
My condo development lost power during this past summer when it was 90+ F and 70+ % humidity. I have never felt anything so strange in my life in terms of atmosphere. Open the door outside and WHAM, it hit me like nothing else. Almost like being on another planet or something.

I didn't have many lights at the ready when the power went out, so I ended up using a 3D Mag aimed at the ceiling for room light. For moving around I think I used a Photon II. I can't remember what else I used. My Ultrastinger didn't get any use since I didn't need such a powerful light.

Now I have an ARC AAA LE and Eveready LED lantern to help the Mag in the next outage.

- Brian

T-Rex

Newly Enlightened
The most recent outage was about 1.5 hrs.

Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp (4 LEDs)for most activities, and a Streamlight XT for activites that required a bit more light.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe I've sat through a few power outages with a BD Moonlight myself.

The apt. I used to have had about 30 power outages over a period of 5 years. Most of these weren't weather related, but due to the absolute worst power company I've ever had (Niagara Mohawk). There was obviously something wrong with the circuit, and they refused to ever do anything about it.

I moved to a location where it includes electricity, and I refused to pay my last bill. Even if they manage to hurt my credit, I will still never pay!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't experienced a power outage in a long time, but the lights I would make the most use of, would be my battery-powered fluorescent lanterns.

Kirk

Enlightened
I have an Aladdin kerosene lamp; uses a mantle like a Coleman gasoline lamp but doesn't require pumping and is totally quiet. Also have another "wick" style kerosene lamp. For battery-operated lights I can choose from my 60+ vintage flashlights/lanterns/electric candles or from the 30 or so modern fluorescent, LED, halogen, or regular incandescent lights. Can you say flashlight addiction? I gots it REAL BAD!
Kirk

Brotherscrim

Enlightened
Last power outage lasted for about 1.5 hours. I used my PALight (found quickly thanks to its oh-so-handy always on feature) to find my Lightwave 4000. When it was over, I let out a loud "Awwwww!" that sent the missus in stitches.

Not a power outage per say, but a handy time to have my flashlights; I live in a duplex, and my downstairs neighbor left a pot on the electric stove and went to work, filling both of our apartments with an acrid, greasy smoke. Fortunately, my landlord (my parents, as if you cared) lives across the street, and in a couple of minutes we had access into my neighbor's apt. I ran for my most recent purchases- a Coleman 2AA light converted to use a 1w r/o Lambertain luxeon, and a 1w Amber Luxeon-equipped 3D Maglite (both masterfully crafted by Silviron). That amber light, though "dim" by comparison to the other colored Lux's, does an excellent job of cutting through thick smoke. When my parents found the light switch, I again let out a disappointed "Awww!"

...Then I went to my apt. and left the lights off so compare and contrast my various LED light purchases, in a vain attempt to justify the expense beyond "but they're soo COOL."

--Scrimmy

ledled

Newly Enlightened
Candles !!
yellowlaugh.gif
I have not have an outage since I started collecting flashlights
rolleyes.gif