HELP! Which converter for A-19 UV head?

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
All right, I really need some freakin' help here! The information I need is very difficult to extrapolate from all the different threads here on CPF, and I've been reading for hours! Plus, the Shoppe (and I know they are busy) seems to give me short answers like "buy this one" but they never explain why.

I want to get an Aleph-19 UV head, and run it on an E2 body (or maybe buy a whole light from them if needed).

Which converter should I get? They are available with the Downboy917, Downboy 500, Wizard2, and Nexgen 500 converters.

Whew!

Which one, and more importantly, WHY?

(I'm pretty sure I either need a Downboy or a Wiz, but again, which and why?)

If I do decide to just bet the A-19 UV head, do I need a 2-stage switch for the E2 body? Will the converter run on full power with just a regular switch?

I would prefer to spend $150 on the head and use my E2 bodies, rather than fork out for a whole new light.

Thanks, all. I really appreciate any help and explanations (and theory) you can give.

Cheers!

Cribbage

Last edited:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your going to use the E2 body with two cells (primary or rechargeable) you should use the Downboy. The Wiz and Nexgen should only be used with a single cell because the max Vin is only 5.2 volts (IIRC).

You can get and use a 17670 cell in the E2 body, that would give you a single cell voltage but in the size of two 123 cells.

The converter will run a full rated current with a regular single stage switch. A two stage switch will reduce the current when on low. Don't use a resistored two stage switch with the Wiz converters, they don't like the low level and tend to flicker with a really low output.

I would stay in the 500mA range with the Cree 7090 UV LED.

The Wiz and Nexgen are both great with primaries, the Wiz will be better for rechargeables. The Wiz will protect rechareables from undervoltage but will cut-off at 2.5v (even with primaries), the Nexgen doesn't cut-out in time to protect rechargeables but you will get more runtime with primaries.
The Wiz boards are buck and boost whereas the Nexgen's are just boost.

Hope some of this helps.

Last edited:

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic! Thanks! :goodjob:

The A-19 UV comes with a Downboy 500, so that is what I will get. I like the E2 form factor, and the 2 cells will give me good run time.

I am wanting a UV light with some punch, and I saw a thread where someone had modded an old Inova X1 with a Cree UV, and it really had the output.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Cribbage