Peter Boyle Dies

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked PB also but no offense Bob_G and what a society we are. These silly actors will get more print than someone who actually comes up for a cure for cancer! Trust me, these actors live in crazy opulence even if they just get a part time role in a successful series or a couple of roles in a movie! That's not to say that he didn't earn it but trust me, he lived well in his latter years. He and his family are well taken care of!

EDIT: Bob, I apologize if I intruded in your thread and I meant no disrespect.

Last edited:

Bob_G

Enlightened
Hey Gene, no problem. I agree with you on principle, even "celebrities" don't make big news on their death if they're not in the pop culture. I didn't know Miles Davis or Douglas Adams had died for months for instance (to my shame.)

And of course the obit identifies Boyle from his "Raymond" work, but to me he's a 70s guy - Eddie Coyle, Crazy Joe, Steelyard Blues and Young Frankenstein come to mind.

But you can't put actors (not celebrities, real actors) down because they make a lot of money if successful. Acting is art, and if you believe in the power of art, then you have to believe in actors as artists. Which brings up an interesting inverse to your post that's always bugged me. Ever notice how great actors, past their prime, are all but forgotten? Our culture's attention span is worse than a fu*king Jack Russell Terrier. And yes, I stole that from that guy (anyone get the reference?)

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw Taxi Driver again 2 weeks ago, and I never knew he was in that.

And don't feel bad about not being informed of someone's experation, Bob, I finally just found out on Monday it was James Kim that died in Oregon.
All the local news stories only said "Man" or "Husband" dies in blizzard. Isn't that strange?