Sniper suspect detained...

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was watching the crappy KRON-4 News, and they had a report regarding a possible Sniper suspect. Apparently, they guy drives a white van, which contained various 2-ways radios, etc, as well as some undisclosed writings. A search of his house revealed .223 ammo, an AR, and books on Snipers and shooting. He's also a former Marine, and has been in Police custody since Saturday. There has not been a shooting since Saturday.

He came to the Police's attention after his involvement in some sort of domestic dispute...

Sounds promising...

--dan

guncollector

Enlightened
Apparently, they guy drives a white van, which contained various 2-ways radios, etc, as well as some undisclosed writings. A search of his house revealed .223 ammo, an AR, and books on Snipers and shooting.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Dano-

I hope this is the guy. God, I hope its the right guy.

But, besides the white van and Marine, you and I both probably know dozens of perfectly law-abiding citizens that could fit the above profile...

Let's all prey they found the right guy.

Greta

Flashaholic
Hard to say whether this is promising or not... seems that the police are going to great lengths to stress that this guy is NOT a suspect.

Police Question Ex-Marine in Baltimore During Lull in Shootings

Monday, October 14, 2002

WASHINGTON — Authorities in Baltimore Monday seized a white van and found an assault rifle, sniper manual and ammunition similar to the .223 bullets used in attacks that have killed eight people and wounded two others in the Washington area.

The van's owner was being questioned by police Monday night.

"At this time, the task force believes this is not related to our sniper incidents," said Louise Marthens, a Montgomery County police spokeswoman.

Baltimore police say the white van's owner, a 37-year-old former Marine, was shot by his girlfriend over the weekend in his southwest Baltimore apartment.

Citing police sources, WBAL-TV reported that inside the apartment, police found an A-R 15 rifle, shell casings and ammunition and a book about snipers.

The man was treated and released from a Baltimore hospital. Police contacted him again Monday, and he agreed to come in for questioning.

The man reportedly owns a white van similar to the one that was spotted by witnesses after the most recent sniper attack near Fredericksburg, Va. The van is now at the Southern District police headquarters.

Investigators have searched the interior of the van, where they found radios. There was also an unusual message taped to one of the van's windows, and police asked the TV station not to reveal the contents of the message.

MSNBC reported that a tarot card was found in the van and a sign on the dashboard read "Gihad in America." A tarot card was also found at one of shootings.

Police say the man is not yet a suspect in the sniper shootings, and the FBI is aware of him. The federal bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is examining the rifle and the ammunition. ~snip~

Full Story

Greta

Flashaholic
Breaking News!

Police: Shooting in Northern Virginia May Be Sniper Related

Monday, October 14, 2002

FALLS CHURCH, Va. — Fairfax County police reported a shooting Monday outside a Home Depot that they described as possibly related to the sniper spree.

A police spokesman said roads were being closed in the area, about 10 miles west of Washington, D.C. The task force investigating the sniper attacks is conferring with Fairfax authorities to see if the shooting is related, Officer Derek Baliles said.

Source

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Reports are now that the woman is dead, shot in the head in an open parking garage.

PsycoBob[Q2]

Enlightened
Of course the police are stressing that he's not a suspect- even if he was, lawsuits suck. Lately, bein accused in the media means you are guilty- at least as far as the public is concerned.

As for the profile, I know a lot of people who fit it, excempting the white van, and the area (Central NY State). Personally, I have military experience, lost of 2-way radios, including 2 with custom chipsets, several 7.76mm rifles,. more than a dozen .22 rimfires (x-Boy-scout camp rifles, they're too old to be safe). I don't use them much, but I still shoot well.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woman in Fall's Church is (was) FBI employee. Guess that makes this a Fed case. Link to other 'sniper' shootings confirmed. If so-called suspect is still in custody, this incident rules him out.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Woman in Fall's Church is (was) FBI employee. Guess that makes this a Fed case. Link to other 'sniper' shootings confirmed. If so-called suspect is still in custody, this incident rules him out.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It was already a Fed case due to interstate nature (Same killer, multiple states)

axolotls

Enlightened
Dano: Since NBC left KRON. They are just a 24-hours news station with a lot of crap-du-jour in-between. Stick with 2.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That guy wasn`t very smart if he was keeping those things in his van...whether he`s related or not. If he was one, then there must be two shooters...I haven`t heard much about this guy on the Fox News channel.

Ken