puppy chews off babys toes. i hope they blame the right cuprit

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I've seen this article referred to a number of times in the news recently and honestly, I haven't steeled myself to read the details: the titles alone are too sad for me. Further, I often wonder about people who continue to breed and raise inherently vicious dogs.

Off topic: Welcome back raggie!

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some breeds clearly have a propensity for aggression, tho. A pit bull terrier will lock on to a rope, an arm, another dog, and not let go. A yorkshire terrier won't.

I do attribute operator error to these dog attacks. Dogs are just being dogs, just like tigers are tigers, as Roy Horn (Seigfried and Roy) learned.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how the baby would not have started crying almost straight away once the dog was actually chewing on her toes, were the parents drunk/drugs?

Sad for the baby girl, should not have heppened.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant figure it out at all.i would think a baby would be crying very loudly.and who in there right mind would let a puppy have axcess to anything they care about puppys tear up everything when there young.another reason i should go back to a no news day and a course pita are like other dog there very very freindly and great dogs if brought up that way.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle, that statement, "A pit bull terrier will lock on to a rope, an arm, another dog, and not let go. A yorkshire terrier won't." is simply a fallacy.

Terriers of ANY type, grab and hold, even Yorkies, that's what the Terrier breeds do!

But, it was a Lab mix that chewed off the French womans face last year, and since 1975 over 30 breeds have been implicated in fatal attacks, including Pomeranians (originally bred as watch dogs) and dachsunds!

Pits actually come out above a high percentage of supposedly "Safe" dogs when personality profiling is done. They seldom attack humans unless they have been viciously abused.

In fact, here's how they rate out:

They do tests on dogs to check for aggressiveness and likelihood of attack, guess where pit bulls rate out? How about better than Coonhounds, Cockers, Collies, Border collies, Dobies, Dachsunds, miniature poodles, chihuahas, English Setters, Samoyeds, Saint Bernards, and Weimeraners, and lots of others, and only slightly worse than Newfoundlands and Golden Retrievers. In fact, 83.5% of all Pits passed, while 83.7% or Goldens did and 87% of Newfoundlands. All the rest above were lower than the pit bull pass rate. In reality, most dogs are in the 80-90% range, although smaller breeds tend to do worse.

First this was a puppy, and puppies chew on whatever, and if it's wiggling or moving, even more likely.

Blaming it on the breed is ridiculous, like blaming all handguns because someone got shot with one!

Bill

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
I'm not a fan of pit bulls or other dogs bred for aggression but to me the parents were 100% at fault. Case in Michigan about 10 years ago where a cat chewed off a few fingers of a baby. It's amazing how tiny those fingers and toes are, doesn't take much to destroy them.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I blamed it on operator error, not the breed.

I stand by my assertion that some breeds are pre-disposed to be more aggressive, more apt to attack or defend, etc. Just as some breeds are pre-disposed to run and others not to run. Some to herd, and some not. Those very differences are to great degree what distinguish between the AKC groups - sporting, working, herding, etc. I reject the notion that a chichuachua has the same inate disposition to herd sheep as does a border collie, or that a staffordshire bull terrier is no more likely to clamp onto an intruder than is a basset hound.

Above all, note that I have no idea what I'm talking about. :twothumbs

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
First this was a puppy, and puppies chew on whatever, and if it's wiggling or moving, even more likely.

Blaming it on the breed is ridiculous, like blaming all handguns because someone got shot with one!

Bill

If everyone was this intelligent the world would be a better place. Thanks for so perfectly sealing the morale of this story.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
powernoodle,

I wouldn't, and didn't, say Pits are more or less aggressive than any other breed, or that any one breed might or might not be less likely to herd, or hunt, or whatever. I did say that in testing aggressiveness, as a breed, and in large enough numbers to make sure that statistical variation was taken out of the mix, that they come out ahead of a lot of breeds when it comes to HUMAN aggression.

Pits ARE, or more correctly, WERE, bred to be DOG aggressive, not people aggressive. They WERE bred to fight. However, if you read their history, fighting dogs that were shown to be people aggressive were promptly put down by the breeders, because they realized that having people aggressive dogs was bad for their own health!

Pits that are people aggressive today are almost invariably neglected or abused dogs. My pit would welcome you into our house, show you where all the valuables were, then want to go for a ride with you! In fact, when we were burglarized, she didn't even bark! So much for having a big dog as a deterrent!

I just have to defend them when it comes to all the knee jerk press responses I see which blame a breed for a problem that is not a breed problem, but an owner problem!

alaskawolf

Enlightened
Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pic! That's an absolutely adorable little puppy!

bwaites, if you like pits, you should read "The Dogs Who Found Me," by Ken Foster. It's about a guy who just couldn't resist rescuing pit bulls. He ended up with almost half a dozen! :laughing:

Puppies chew. Duh. The baby should have been in a crib, and the puppy in a crate or fenced area.

Poor puppy, poor baby, STUPID parents. :ohgeez:

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Tiger, I'll check it out.

Our pit is a rescue, also, although a bit atypical, as she was dumped at a boat dock near our house in the middle of a snow drift in February.

My wife happened to be checking the site for a photo shoot, and this little 3 pound puppy came bouncing out of the drift and captured her heart. Blaze was even cuter than the pup in the pics above, and absolutely loves people, although she barely tolerates most other dogs. Interestingly, if they will face up to her, she then wants to play. If they pull the, "I'm going to run away thing", then her prey drive kicks in, and she chases them. She never has injured another dog, but she is intense enough that I don't let her off leash until I am VERY confident that the other dog undestands the rules. (Usually only other pits, and some larger dogs like Rotts, Dobies (although they are a little flighty) and some Mastiffs.

Pits are a special breed, and should ONLY be owned by those willing to accept ALL the responsibilities that go with them. Their incredible loyalty to the owner and their similarly incredible drive and heart are what makes them so endearing to Pit owners, but also what gets them in trouble if not properly handled. They are mishandled too often and that's an owner problem, no a dog problem.

Bill

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dogs are a reflection of there owners ya have to show em right from wrong and love em..any dog breed can be good or bad.its the owners who make em either way.and puppys always bite hard. but they are not being mean. they just havent learned yet. but after a few times of the owner yelping when bitten and moving there hand the puppy learns. i sure hope that baby gets put in a good home and the puppy in a great home to.ya all are smart folks i was afraid people would blame the dog

LA OZ

Enlightened
If this is true, I blame this on neglect by the parents for sure. The babe must have cried and this was ignored by the parents. I am just wondering whether they are on sleeping tablets to be not awared of the intense crying. This is sad, but I have heard story of toes growing back and I do hope this is the case.