ft-01 or QIII

7ender

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I've been looking through these forums quite awhile now, and am looking for a decent "first" flashlight. I don't have any specific requirements or use for it, I will mostly use it for camping though. I want something that has a lot of light for the money, and therefore my searches have led me to the QIII and ft-01. What would you guys recommend between these two? There are so many postings on both, and pretty much everythign said about them is good so I don't know what to get. I remember seeing 1 comparison shot, and if I remember correctly the ft-01 (T-bin) was a bit brighter. any opinions on them regarding brightness?

Iv'e also briefly glanced at cheaper options, such as the "elly" from fifthunit (9$ shipped). It seems nice since it runs on AA's, but it only has 20 lumens as compared to the ft-01's >50. However, never owning such a powerful led flashlight, it is hard to determine exactly what the difference in lighting is. Is the difference major?

But anyways yea, it would be alot of help if you guys could give me some opinions on them. Thanks!

x2x3x2

Banned
The Elly isnt even in the same class as either the Q3 or FT-01, dont bother unless ur planning to mod it with a better emitter.

The FT-01 gets my vote. Better build and beam quality than the Q3. Runs almost 4 hours on 18650 batteries. Tho i have experience flickering using 18650, during the first few seconds but works fine after that. If u plan to use CR123, shouldnt have to worry about any flickering. Great value.

If u want to consider running AA batteries, look into the Lumapower LM301. Costs $20 shipped. Has high/low levels, the low being much lower than the Fenix lights and more useful for close up work in my opinion. Better tint and beam quality than Fenix L1 series as well. Build quality is perfect. Runs about 2 hours on 2500mAH NiMH batteries on high.

7ender

Newly Enlightened
Alright i've been leaning towards the ft-01. Iv'e also been reading about the cree one that is soon to come out, so should I wait for that? Anyone know how much it might cost (rough idea?) Otherwise I'll get the ft-01se, although I wish it came in black.

thanks!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
The standard FT-01 is a superb little light for the money, the SE version even better by all accounts.

The new FT-01 Cree version is released tomorrow (Dec 15th), you should have a price then.
buttrock.gif

CFU

7ender

Newly Enlightened
Awesome. But do you have just a rough idea? I don't know anything at all about cree prices, and the thing is there is an ft-01se on ebay from jsburley's that is only 40 shipped, and it will end before the cree version comes out. I am tempted to buy it since that seems to be a great price, but if the cree is alot better for not too much more I can definetely wait.

Thanks for the replies.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
7ender,

FT-01SE's can be had for around $45 + shipping from JSB's, lighthound and a few other places.

I'd keep your powder dry for another 24 hours if I were you, see what the price is on these new Cree models, if they are too expensive for your taste you will have no problem picking up an FT-01SE tomorrow.
smile.gif

CFU

P.S. I doubt they will be over $100...but that is pure speculation on my part.

Edit: got me prices wrong!
ohgeez.gif

Last edited:

FirstDsent

Enlightened
7ender,

First, Your presence here, and your choice for your first hight quality flashlight insures that you will be infected with flashaholism. It is probable that one of two things will happen to you soon

1. You will buy another flashlight soon, so don't worry about making the wrong choice. Both flashlights are a sure bet.

2. You will get mod-fever, and start modding your lights. This forum will be very supportive and informative if you choose to mod your lights. It is within most people's ability to do basic (and very effective) mods.

If you are a tinkerer, and interested in modding, the QIII is the better choice. Tons of excellent mods are outlined in this forum. I have a highly modded QIII that will outperform the FT-01 Luxeon version, and is feature-packed with a Flupic microcontroller. Done bit by bit the total cost is irrelevent.

If you are not interested in modding soon, the FT-01 is the superior light in stock configuration. I don't have one yet, but I can see from the X-ray images on their website that the design is superb. I have heard in posts here that the machining is excellent also. With the available type III anodizing, this light is an excellent value. However, it's design makes it very difficult to modify. All it's parts are proprietary in design, and not interchangable with aftermarket parts.

You will be very happy with either of these lights, but I lean toward the Huntlight for it's value.

Bernie

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
The QIII has an excellent metal reflector that works very well as an EDC.
Nice transition from flood to spill.

Also this reflector is deep and works perfectly with the Cree once a few thou
are removed from the rear.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
At 8 pm tonight the details of the cree ft 01 are to be released,it looks like a 5 level cree light. Wiat till 8 pm.Id 2nd the ft01 in any variation.Very nice light,I run it with a 18650,the battery seems to last forever!

VF1Jskull1

Enlightened
my qIII's were the lights for me at the time i got them.... now they see little if any use and have been relegated to storage in my cars.... been using ft-01 and fenix l2t for most day-to-day use... ft-01 makes stock Q3 look dim....

vic303

Enlightened
If you're considering a Huntlight, get the FT02XJ series. It can run as a 1xcr123 OR 2xAA, and is white white white!

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul6ppca said:
At 8 pm tonight the details of the cree ft 01 are to be released,it looks like a 5 level cree light. Wiat till 8 pm.Id 2nd the ft01 in any variation.Very nice light,I run it with a 18650,the battery seems to last forever!

Where? On here or the Huntlight site?

CFU

Edit: Disregard, I've just read Jon's post.
buttrock.gif

Last edited:

7ender

Newly Enlightened
well it's out...100$. SOunds like a good price for what it is, but somewhat more than I would like to spend at the moment. Ive' been hearing so much about how Cree's look to be the future of flashlights, I'd hate to buy something that's going to go out of date relatively soon. I haven't searched around yet on it, but are there any cheaper ways to get something with a cree (ie easy mod?) I have seen the p1d ce, but i'm still looking for maybe some other options.

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
My huntlight FT-02XJ is an amazing light...with 1 rcr123a (3.7 volt) it outputs 60 to 70 lumens. With the 2 aa body you can get a couple hours at 50 to 55 lumens...and it's the whitest LED I have. I also have the Ft 01...also great on the 18650 like everyone says...

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthouse one said:
My huntlight FT-02XJ is an amazing light...with 1 rcr123a (3.7 volt) it outputs 60 to 70 lumens. With the 2 aa body you can get a couple hours at 50 to 55 lumens...and it's the whitest LED I have. I also have the Ft 01...also great on the 18650 like everyone says...

I agree with you,the FT-01 is the whitest LED i have as well.
If you run it with 2 RCR123 @ 4.2v each the beam is so powerful.
Just ordered the Cree P4 version.
Can't wait to get it in hand :whistle:

7ender

Newly Enlightened
I think i'm just going to hold off awhile until the cree lights become cheaper/more widely available. They seem to be the future of led's at the moment.

The Lumapower D-mini is rather tempting though.