Just got two Princeton Tec Quads--first impressions.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
I missed out on the REI sale, but after reading more, decided I needed to try the P.T. Quad. I've got an Eos, modified with the 17mm reflector, as well as the River Rock headlamp, but neither is very good for reading in bed. The Quad, with it's flood beam, sounded like what I was after, and I decided to pick up a second one for my wife.

Now that I've used them, I'm a little disappointed with the beam. Yes, there's a nice wide flood, but there's still a hotspot that's annoying when reading a book--not only is it bright, but it's also quite blue, all though the surrounding spill is a neutral white. Both lights are about the same in this regard. The Quad is still a better reading light than the R.R. and modified Eos (and MUCH better than the stock Eos), but not perfect. Actually, an Eos can be close to perfect if you remove the optic and run it without a reflector. Then you get a nice wide, smooth flood. But the lowest level is no longer bright enough for me, and the general usefulness apart from reading is greatly diminished. Still, I'm considering getting another Eos just for this purpose.

The other issue I encountered with the Quads is the glowing LEDs even when the power is off. The first one I opened displayed this. I'd read about it in another thread, so I thought it might be typical, and even a "find in the dark" feature. But my other brand new Quad doesn't display it at all. So now I'm curious as to why some circuits let some electons leak, and others don't.

Has anyone measued the current draw on a glowing Quad? I'm sure it's quite low, but I'm wondering if it's a problem. For now, I'll run the glowing Quad with Alkalines, and the glow-less w/ Nimh.

Overall, an acceptable reading headlamp, and a very good walking headlamp.

Jack

Potato

Newly Enlightened
I had the same "glow" problem with the Quad. I contacted PT and they said send it back to them. I got it at REI so I just did a straight swap there. No problem. The new one doesn't glow when turned off. I was worried about battery life because I keep it in my truck in case of emergencies and use lithiums. I would hate to try to use it only to find out the little "glow" drained the batteries.

JackJ

Newly Enlightened
Potato said:
I had the same "glow" problem with the Quad. I contacted PT and they said send it back to them.

I hadn't seriously considered returning, but yeah, at some point it's likely to sit unused for awhile, and then might be needed, so I should get it replaced.

Thanks,
Jack