***NEED CPF'S HELP!! Our BIG chance to promote flashlight technology!***

BVH

Flashaholic
I work for a municipality. Our Fire Dept is aggressively pursuing Fed grants for emergency preparedness material purchases. They asked all the depts about their inventories of flashlights and indicated that everyone who needs a flashlight, should have a rechargeable light. This was my response to my boss - not to the Fire Chief, yet.

EMAIL TO BOSS:

"You probably don't want to get me started on flashlights and batteries- I can go on for hours, even days on them! We have a few, Surefire brand, lithium battery (10-year shelf life), LED (light emitting diode) lights in our red bags and some supervisors have them in their offices. The major advantage of these is you can grab them 5-10 years from now, and they will work as well then as they will right now when the batteries are new. Zero maintenance is required. There are no light bulbs to break/blow. If you have a supply of the lithium batteries (not as available as standard AA and D batteries, but not hard to get) on-hand, I think you are better off than using rechargeable flashlights. Again, you can stock up now and they'll be good (full capacity) for at least 10 years.

Rechargeable flashlights tend to have very slow charging systems within them and can take up to 16 hours to recharge and are usually good for an hour or two of use. The big problem I've seen around town is that they are left plugged in full time. Over time, 6 months to a year, the NiCAD batteries lose significant capacity to hold a charge. You end up with a flashlight that will work for a few minutes, maybe 10. Some of them may use the newer Nickel-Metal batteries which are better but will still lose capacity if left charging all the time.

Another scenairo is to use flashlights that use rechargeable batteries but don't have charging systems within them. You use stand-alone battery chargers to charge the batteries. Again, though, if you leave the batteries in the charger, they will lose capacity.

Generally, using rechargeable flashlights and flashlights that use rechargeable batteries requires routine maintenance of the batteries and practically no one is going to follow through with this maintenance in reality. If you leave the batteries out of the charger or the flashlight unplugged, both the NiCAD and Nickel-Metal batteries self-dicharge at a rate of about 1 to 1.5% per day so at the end of a month, they have lost 30 to 45% of their capacity/run time."

END OF EMAIL TO BOSS

My recommendation was surprisingly an easy sell to my boss. She wants me to provide her with a recommendation she can pass on to the Fire Chief. Obviously, we're not going to go out and buy 150 (for my dept only - probably 750 organization-wide) expensive Surefires that might tend to "walk away". I'd like to recommend a factory produced, rough service capable, probably plastic, simple on-off LED light that can be powered by AA Lithium primaries that produces maybe 60 or so lumens of light - a little more than a 3D mag. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of $40 to $60.00 each. These are not firm specs, just a start.

I just purchased a Fenix P1D CE which I love but this is not what I'm looking for. Its small, high performance, takes a 123, and would probably "walk away" very soon. I am familiar with the names Dorcy, Streamlight etc. but have never really done any research on them.

OK, now's the time for "us" to promote flashlight technology to a municipality. Please give me some recommendations. Please remember, it needs to be mainstream, simple, use AA Lithium primaries and be as bright or a little brighter than a Mag 3D and one that won't be an invite to walk away.

Last edited:

Sable

Enlightened
This sounds like it could be a job for the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA! They're not Luxeons (I don't think - I've only played with one), but Streamlight advertises 67 lumens out the front...

Probably not the MagLEDs; if you're really wanting to "wow" someone with the Wonder of LED Lighting, it better not drop to 50% in the first few minutes! :)

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also take a look at the Pelican line of lights- they have a few that are specific to firefighter requirements!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell, if the feds are buying....SUREFIRE!

Just kidding. The Pelican does have some 123 powered LEDs that would fit the bill, I think.

BVH

Flashaholic
Thank you! Looks like the Streamlight 4AA with 67 lumens and up to 155 hrs run time would fit the bill. I would assume that it could use the higher voltage Lithium AA primaries without issue - unless someone knows any different? Does this light use a battery carrier or do they just slide into the body in two columns?

Keep the suggestions coming!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm thinking that a fire department should probably carry a light that's based on a metal housing. While there are a lot of good, inexpensive LED flashlights built into plastic shells, I'd be worried that they'd melt in the heat of battle while extinguishing a fire.

Methinks that the Brinkman/Task Force 3W Luxeons could probably fill the bill and won't break the bank.

BVH

Flashaholic
PhotonW, these will be for departments other than fire. Public Works, Parks, street maint etc.

Does the Propolymer 4AA light use a battery carrier or do they just slide into the body in two columns?

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Suggest that you get in touch with Streamlight as see what they recomend! Ask about a large order discount!

Monolith

Enlightened
Suggest ElektroLumens Lucidus 2AA. Comes in Cree or Luxeon versions. Wayne's already shipping the Luxeon version to security and military professionals.

Here's a link to the Cree version:

Lucidus Cree

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:):grin2::)

Possibly ...... Streamlight Survivor LED

From Quickbeams Review ..... 1st couple Paragraphs :
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Streamlight Survivor LED is really designed for firefighters and rescue personnel to clip on to their turnout gear. It provides a very tight beam for penetrating smoke and particulate-filled atmospheres. It can be run on 4 AA cells (model tested) or rechargeable battery packs. Three output modes are available via the single click switch on top.

Body: The body is made of a nylon polymer with a slight texture all the way around. A nylon clip is attached to the rear for connecting the light to your gear. At the top of the clip is a loop for additional attachment options and a large split ring is included.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe you should contact him for reccomendations - he should be qualified to give you good advise .

........................ TMG/:grin2:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon is a great light for your intended use. It does not use a battery carrier, the batteries go right in. Some plastic body lights may not be as durable as need be, but the ProPoly bodies are very tough indeed.

Someone did a drop test from fifty feet up onto concrete and the light survived. Six times! I'm sorry I forgot who did this test, it was about six months ago, you could probably find that thread with a search.

The Underwater Kinetics line of lights also has a few 4AA lights that are a bit smaller than the ProPoly. The older model I have is great because it gets incredible run time, of course this is at the expence of less brightness, but the amount of light is good enough for most tasks. The newer models have two light levels, the dimmer of which is equal to the older models output. I don't recall how the "high beam" compares to the ProPoly, but I'm guessing it is close. If so that light would have the advantage of lots of light when needed, or battery conserving low mode.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have loaned a ton of my lights to a friend who is a firefighter.

To cut to the point: the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon was his favorite for several reasons.

(1) extended runtime compared to brighter incandescents
(2) tight beam, giving less "flare" in smoke
(3) safety rating is superb
(4) small size, fits in his fire fighting gear pockets
(5) relatively inexpensive

Be aware, there are other versions of the 4AA Propolymer that are NOT this light, i.e. the 4AA7Led light (7 small 5mm LEDs), and an incandescent model.

These other two are fine lights, you just have to know what you are buying.

A following note; his favorite was a 2C Maglite, modded for 3/CR123s, running a five cell bulb. Brighter than all hell, pierced smoke like a laser.

Then he found out it only went for a hour, and then had to pop for expensive CR123s. Enda of that love affair

Blazer

Enlightened
BVH said:
Does the Propolymer 4AA light use a battery carrier or do they just slide into the body in two columns?

They slide into the body in two columns. Primary AAs are perfect, long runtime, widely available, good all round light.