time for an upgrade to the quad lux mag, but how?

Turbo_E

Enlightened
OKIE, so i put in 4 U binned Lux 3's into my quad lux mag running off a fatman driver and Modamag's 8AA battery holder. reflectors are IMS S02XA or something like that

now if i wanted to upgrade to Cree LED's what do i need to change?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can mod the IMS20mm reflectors, and possibly mod the heatsink.

I will be doing both very soon. I have one of modamags new heatsinks (does both tri or quad) for luxeons. I'm going to make it flat to get rid of the centering depressions for the luxeons, and then place the cree's by hand, mark them, then epoxy them.

The reflectors will be drilled out, and shortened to optimal focus. Then attached with glue and possibly a sleve/holder made from PVC pipe or something, since they will be shorter and the lens won't hold them down.

I'm going this route because 1) I have all the parts already, 2) I can't afford the McR19mm version (because of the $18ea reflectors). 3) Hopefully I'll have it built before the 19mm heatsink is out!

I'll post info sometime when I get started on it (shouldn't be too long) about what you gotta do as I go along.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seoul Semiconductor "100 lumen at 350mA and 240 lumens at 1 amp" LEDs should be out shortly. They use the XRE die in SS's packaging that looks like a Luxeon. 120 degree beam pattern so it might be a direct replacement. Mouser Electronics has the part number on their site so the wait should not be too long.

I'll be using the XREs for my Mag build but I can mod existing lights with the Seoul Semiconductor (Cree) LEDs much easier. Hopefully I can replace my U bin MillerMods 1.7 watt L1P with the SS LED without too much hassle.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also plan on putting Crees in my trilux (has fatman driver). I believe the reflectors and heat sink need to be changed too. I'm fortunate enough to live close to modamag and his very equiped garage. Also thinking of going from 8AA to 4AA as the Crees will maintain the same performance on 4AA as the Luxeon LEDs do on 8AA.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bent, good point. I just hope the SSC leds are as bright as the cree's, and have good beam color since they will be using a different phosphor. The previous SSC x-lamp seems to have un-even color in the beam, even though it looks like a luxeon style application of phosphor. The package is a little bigger than luxeons, but not by much. The opto edison looks even closer to a direct luxeon replacement...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mouser Electronics is a short drive away from me (20 minutes?)
Maybe I should go that route, "will call" style. ;)
I'm running out of Cree XRE's already.

Latest posts