Solar Flares and Flashlights

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm far from being one of the tech-saavy members, but I would say no, it probably won't. Things in orbit, and even some earthbound power grids are vulnerable, and it might not be the best time for signals in the atmosphere.

I'd say the chances are quite remote, even for the more sophistaced, programable lights. Then again, I'm not taking my lights flying or to high altitude, and am pretty much in the southern part of the northern hemisphere.

What, me worry? :grin2:

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The odds are you and your lights will never notice. If you're concerned you could store them in a metal container with a tight fitting lid, such as a cookie tin.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
..but your GPS may likely not work..the last big one in the eighties knocked out more than half the beepers, and alot of cell phones. It knocked out various grids in Canada. Does any one know if electronic devices have been hardened at all, or softened, since then? I' think softened because of the extensive use of ICs and the possiblity of their eentsy little circuits getting overloaded with electrons..

I wouldn't want to be flying during an electron storm.
limb_flare_sm.jpg

eit_strip.gif

An X3-flare on Dec. 13th. Image credit: SOHO
" X-class flares are big; they are major events that can trigger planet-wide radio blackouts and long-lasting radiation storms..."
http://spaceweather.com/glossary/flareclasses.html

Last edited: