Surefire E2 LOLA MNO2 reviewed!!

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to cut and paste for the sake of the person who reviewed. You can read it HERE.

If some of you can't get into the SF discussion board, or don't want to sign-up, I'll see what i can do about asking permission to post it here.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I concur with Bucky it is a great LA and the one I will use the most. I have had mine for about 2 weeks and find it to be the best all purpose light. And the batteries last and last and last. I don't feel guilty about using 123's anymore.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bucky

Enlightened
I'll help you out.
smile.gif
wink.gif

I was recently able to test and review the MN02 LOLA for the E2(e). I have been very impressed by the MN02 and I truly believe it will be one of the best and most important lamp offerings that SureFire has ever made. More specific thoughts regarding the lamp follow below:

BEAM PATTERN

The pattern of light produced by the MN02 is a compromise between a large flood beam best suited for general utility purposes and close-quarters illumination, and a tightly focused beam often utilized for tactical purposes and well fit for long distance use. The center beam of the MN02 gradually fades into the surrounding light yielding a flawless beam with no discernable dark spots or circles. I feel this beam pattern offers the best and most useable light for almost all uses, save tactical situations for which the Executive lights are rarely used. The MN02 beam pattern is very similar to the MN03 - both exhibit a generous corona of light with a somewhat brighter center spot. The only difference between the lamps is the center spot of the MN02 is not as bright, and the surrounding corona is not as large.

RUNTIME

The increased runtime is really the raison d'ệtre for the MN02. The runtime/brightness game is zero-sum. What you gain in runtime, you sacrifice in output, and vice versa. The beauty of the MN02 is that it provides an output that is more than bright enough for general everyday use, yet it offers two and a half hours of runtime – doubling the runtime of the MN03. Lithium batteries, although extremely light and compact, are relatively expensive. Even with the 75 minute runtime of the MN03, a set of batteries can be exhausted very quickly in a week or two, even when using the E2(e) very sparingly. No matter how great the light output or beam pattern of a light, many decisions on which light to carry or use on a daily basis hinge as much on the runtime as on a multitude of other factors. The introduction of the MN02 will expand the appeal of the E2(e) by allowing people who appreciate its bright, flawless beam and compact size, to finally be able to carry a light with two and a half hours of "SureFire" light. Previously, users who desired a small, compact light were forced to choose either long runtime with a reduced output, or increased output with reduced runtime, with very little middle ground. Now with the advent of the MN02, a great compromise between the two has been struck.

For non-tactical uses, many users would gladly sacrifice at least some output to gain an increase in runtime. While the relatively recent introduction of the High Output Lamp Assemblies have expanded the versatility of SureFire lights greatly, the L.O.L.A. is perhaps the most significant introduction to date. It will allow the appeal of the newly expanded SureFire flashlight line to be appreciated by the every day flashlight user as well the tactical one.

BEAM OUTPUT

Obviously though, all the runtime in the world does not matter if the amount of light that is emitted is not adequate for most uses. In my opinion, 25 lumens is enough light for almost every task imaginable, save tactical use with a handgun. In my experience testing the MN02, the only situation in which increased output would have been an asset is when I used the MN02 in wooded areas. While camping or using the lamp in situations where there is extreme darkness and very few surfaces to reflect light (i.e. the white walls of a room), the MN02 may not provide quite enough piercing illumination as may be required in some instances. These situations may arise when the MN02 might be called upon to serve as a makeshift search and rescue light, and/or when a premium is placed upon long distance illumination and identification. On the other hand though, when faced with a choice of 60 lumens with 75 minutes of runtime (MN03), or 25 lumens with 150 minutes of runtime (MN02), the better choice may lie in the increased runtime and reduced output. Most likely having a reasonable amount of light for twice as long would be a more valuable asset in almost every situation.

The 25 lumens that the MN02 emits is a great compromise between the MN01 and the MN03. For most situations, a lamp assembly emitting approximately 25 lumens is the ideal solution to bridge the gap between the extremely bright MN03, and the MN01 - which is too dim for some uses. The 25 lumen MN02 is bright enough to be used effectively while camping and during daylight hours, yet it is not so bright as to be overly annoying when used for closer-range tasks. In my opinion, the MN02 is the perfect lamp assembly for an every day carry. Whereas the MN01 really cannot be used effectively while camping or when used in situations where longer distance illumination is required, the MN02 is better suited for such tasks. Although obviously not quite as bright as the MN03, the MN02 still provides enough output for use in the above situations. The ability to carry a small light with two and a half hours of runtime that provides enough light for virtually every situation that may be encountered, cannot be understated. Before, the MN01 lacked the output and the MN03 lacked the runtime to be versatile enough for any environment.

A light that is carried every day will be called upon to provide various amounts of light for many different tasks. In most situations encountered on a daily basis, 15 lumens of light will suffice more than adequately. There are however numerous times where 15 lumens is not enough light. Even though an additional 10 lumens of light does not seem significant, it has proven so on several occasions. The MN02 excels over the MN01 in situations where there is a relatively brightly lit room or area already, and a flashlight is needed to penetrate an area in need of additional illumination. It is in these situations and, conversely, in situations where extreme darkness pervades, when 10 extra lumens of light output provides valuable additional illumination for general navigation and identification. While the MN03 obviously excels in these uses as well, amazingly enough, it is actually too bright to be used effectively for some tasks without first deflecting at least a portion of the light. When the MN03 is used for close-quarters illumination, often a large amount of the 60 lumens from the MN03 are not being utilized efficiently because considerably more light is being emitted than is needed. Too much light is really never a "problem" because it can always be redirected, but an unfortunate situation arises when output is going to waste, especially when a relatively short runtime is coming at the expense of the extra output that really isn't needed. The 25 lumen MN02 greatly reduces the chances of having either too much output or not enough output for any given task.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

At various times I have carried either an E1 or an E2(e) as my every day carry light. I always carry at least one flashlight with me at all times because I have found that a good small flashlight has innumerable uses. Much like a pocketknife, a flashlight comes in handy almost on a daily basis. The E1 offers the advantage of its diminutive size and weight and increased runtime over the E2(e), while the E2(e) offers more output in a slightly larger but somewhat easier to handle body size. Each light has its drawbacks and advantages; seemingly making the perfect flashlight/lamp assembly combo a marriage of the two. The development of the MN02 seems to allow the E2(e) to offer the best of both worlds - allowing for 150 minutes of 25 lumen output from the more user friendly E2(e). With the MN02 installed, the E2(e) becomes perhaps the best lightweight, compact, long running, useful, yet amazingly bright flashlight ever developed.

Bucky

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
THANKS Bucky! I didn't realize you are on this board too.
grin.gif
Once again....nice review.

I don't know if i would buy the low out put Lamp (LOLA) because then i'd have to buy another E2 to carry it around in.
grin.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i called surefire to day and they told me 6-8 weeks. I think only PK probably really knows...

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too called SF today. First I was told 6 more weeks. Then the girl said, "but if were you, I'd call back in two".....

Lonewolf

Enlightened
I got lucky and a package was dropped off by the brown truck ( a complete surprise). Inside was the MNO2 and a note from PK to give it a try and let him know what I thought. I must say this is by far my favorite LA. It gives off an excellent beam (not like the UK 2L) and a really long run time, for a SF. This is a good light to throw in the Glovebox for those roadside emergencies. Because it is not to bright for closeup work and yet still has a good throw on the beam. So you can either do repairs or flag down help. I like it so much that I don't need my 8AX anymore and will probably buy a second E2e just to put in the glovebox. This to me is the LA I was waiting for I know a lot of SF addicts like more power and the M6 but for me and most other folks the longer runtime is critical. This is the best possible route the E2/E2e could have taken because remember the E stands for Executive which means SF is aiming for more civilian use with this product line. I will definitely order more of these LA when they become available because this is the SF I will use most of the time.

I also am REALLY glad I don't have to wait until they are released!
grin.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHat exactly does 25 lumens look like? In a world of "candlepower" it's hard to tell between the two.

60 lumens is bright. 15 lumens i've heard is not even that useful from the E1. Where exactly then does 25 lumens fit? Is it brighter than a 2D mag? Is it like the UKE 2L or Princetec Tec 40? Or more like a Princeton tec rage?

Brock

Flashaholic
This is just a guess, but I would think the MN-02 very close in wattage to the lamp in the UKE 2L. So basically you get the same runtime as the 2L, but with the Surefire beam. I can't wait to see one.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
LEDagent I don't have any of the lights you listed to compare it to. The best comparison I can make is the MNO2 vs MNO3 are like the P60 vs P61. The beam of the MNO2 has more of the characteristics of the MNO3 than the MNO1. The MNO1 is tightly focused and not really useful without a beamshaper. The MNO2 is a useful beam with a nice corona and a less diffused hotspot than is typical of a SF. Think of the beam characteristics of the 8X and you get an idea. The beam itself is still quite white and not at all yellow. The wide corona makes this light useful for walking and the beam allows you to see about 80% of the distance of the MNO3( this is purely based on estimating the distance). Hope this helps clarify things a little.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review
smile.gif
One question, if I may?

When are these things going to be avaliable?

I`ve waited for the MN02 ever since first getting my E2, it`s so close now...but how close?

shocked.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are. I have an E2 and now an E2e.
grin.gif
They use the same lamp assemblies. And the same batteries
tongue.gif
The bezels interchange. But you have to take off the clip to get the E2 bezel on the E2e. This is my first light with an LOTC. I don't know if I like it. But they interchange also.

What won't be interchangeable is the HOLA due out. They will most likely physically fit the older E2's. But they should really be run on the newer E2e's with the pyrex lense. Or is that lexan? I forget.

Lonewolf

Enlightened
David the E2e I have has a pyrex lens. The catalog says the E2e Gunmetal will have the lexan lens and the HA will have the Pyrex. For a few extra bucks it makes sense to get the HA and Pyrex lens.

Spidey82

Enlightened
i thought ALL LALO is more effieient than HALO???
how come i get less that half the output when i only double the runtime???
I was expecting something like 3+ hours....
Linfeng

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell, speaking of LEDs what do people think about the LS module that SF will be releasing for the SF?

Will people buy both the E2 LOLA MNO2 and the LS version? Why yes or why no?