Fenix P1D CE: Toggling between levels.

luminary

Newly Enlightened
Okay, the Fenix P1D CE sounds great to me. Except for one big thing: toggling from level to level. Do you really have to work your way, 1.5 seconds at a time, through three of four levels to arrive at the level you want? When you initially turn it ON, does it always start at the Primary level? Or can it be turned on directly to Low level, or if a blinding flash is desired, straight to MAX?

Here's how the Fenix store describes the operation of the levels:

"Turn the head of the flashlight clockwise to turn on the flashlight. A counter clockwise turn will then switch it off. To toggle between brightness levels, turn the light on, and then turn it off. Within 1.5 seconds after being turned off, twist the head on again and it will be switched to the next brightness level. Just do the same thing to switch it to the third stage and so forth. Keep the light off for over 1.5 seconds, and the light will turn completely off, and the regulative circuit will be restored."

Sounds unbelievably clumsy to me. Could someone with firsthand knowledge please comment? Or redirect me to another thread if this has already been discussed. Thanks.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't imagine a better way to cycle through the levels. I think a clickie would be even more cumbersome. I guess it is something you have to get used to.

Roccomo

Enlightened
luminary said:
Do you really have to work your way, 1.5 seconds at a time, through three of four levels to arrive at the level you want?

No, you can go thru levels as fast as you want.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not too bad.
However it should have been designed like the FLUPIC where the user could decide which level you start with and then program the custom intensity of the 3 levels.

JnC

Newly Enlightened
Playing around with the P1D, I found that I could quickly toggle between levels by pressing the bezel in. Basically have it twisted to the "nearly on" position. Press the bezel to index it to the level you want, then just twist it while gently holding the bezel down in that state.

Undocumented feature? Until now? ;)

JnC

Newly Enlightened
LightBright said:
See? there can be some positives to having somewhat loose threads on the head....

How did you know I was bald? :grin2:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
JnC said:
Playing around with the P1D, I found that I could quickly toggle between levels by pressing the bezel in. Basically have it twisted to the "nearly on" position. Press the bezel to index it to the level you want, then just twist it while gently holding the bezel down in that state.

Undocumented feature? Until now? ;)

This happened to me LOP SE. If you do not turn in a full half turn off it may do this. Mine was doing this while in my pants pocket. (I could see that is was on) Now I make sure to turn it farther to the off position.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Top change levels, have the light off for LESS than 1.5 seconds, then turn it back on. If you wait with the light off for MORE than 1.5 seconds, the light will go back to primary the next time you turn it on.

TooDamFast

Newly Enlightened
Another Question along the same lines.
Does it go from Med->Low->High?
And How bad is this thread problem, I am seeing it more and more on the forums? I am planning to order one this weekend.

Sarratt

Enlightened
Here's the deal .... all you guys that already have this light stop being so so so ....

I'm waiting for this post :

"My P1D-C is just too darn bright"
or
"Can Someone Post a 400 yard Beam shot?"
or
"NASA called asking for the Sun back"

darn I want one of these !!!

ps... in all honesty I really like hearing how everyone is enjoying their lights.
Just jealous

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It goes Med>High>Low>Strobe>SOS. It'd make a bit more sense to have the Low be first, but oh well.

The threads aren't that bad on Fenix lights; they're actually quite good, but they're not Surefire quality - or price.

mboni

Newly Enlightened
Here is an interesting side effect of the Med->High->Low configuration:

If you are using a Protected RCR123 cell, you can drain it very quickly (on Med or High) to a point where the low-voltage protection (in the battery) kicks in, and the light shuts off. Once this happens, there is still plenty of juice left in the battery to run on Low for a while, but you can't get there.

Turning the light back on requires it to pass thru the High setting, where the high current load causes a voltage drop, which causes the protection to shut it off again. Low becomes unacessable unless you turn it on low while the battery has more juice and just leave it there.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the settings on the L0P SE. MED - LOW - HIGH When ALL things are considered, this may be best.