Cree XR-E in a Fifth Unit LILL

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
LILL is a two-stage direct drive single RCR-123A flashlight running a 3W "Luxeon" on a generic star (no name silkscreened).

I had a couple different ways I was considering installing the Cree XR-E, and decided direct emitter replacement on the stock star would be the least painful. (I have some sandwich shoppe rev 2 boards, maybe next time.)

Using desoldering wick, I removed the solder and lifted the tails on the stock emitter. With a small twist the stock thermal epoxy left go.

After scraping off the old thermal epoxy, I re-tinned the star pad. But since this pad sucks up heat so fast, I decided not to solder the Cree down (good thing, because I needed to reposition it later!) Instead, I used a dab of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound (from the sandwich shoppe). It must be working good, because the flashlight body warms up fast.

I took a piece of kapton tape to hold down the emitter, but to avoid ripping off the lens I put another piece of kapton tape adhesive-to-adhesive where the emitter is, so it just saw kapton, no adhesive.

I reflow soldered the emitter into place. Dropped a battery in, and tested it candle mode. Works great!! I'm consuming 350-750 mA for the two modes.

Put the reflector on, and since the reflector didn't go down as far as it did on the stock emitter, some mod was in order. Instead of finding a way to raise the emitter higher, I shaved the plastic reflector lower and lower until I got spot focus.

Now it's reassembled. It really throws! But the dreaded dark ring is around the hot spot. Not too much of an issue when you take it outside and light up houses down the street!
:grin2:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_0728.jpg

You can find beamshots several posts into this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/146169

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Hey Paul, I just picked up a LILL since your article makes the swap sound pretty easy-peasy :)

The LILL sure looks an awful lot like the Lumapower D-Mini, except at 1/4 the price. (I'm sure there are some other compromises aside from the lack of Cree on the stock LILL.)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
luminari said:
The LILL sure looks an awful lot like the Lumapower D-Mini, except at 1/4 the price. (I'm sure there are some other compromises aside from the lack of Cree on the stock LILL.)

IMG_0752.jpg

They look the same, but...

You lose a lot with the lesser price.

No belt holster, no tail switch choice, weaker beam, cheaper reflector which loses it's silver when you touch it, less quality to the terminals.

The LILL has two stages which is a plus.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Whoa, they don't even look close when next to each other! Thanks for the side-by-side.

Hey how does the Cree'd LILL compare to the D-mini in overall output and throw? Same ballpark?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, in high mode (750 ma mode), do you know if the stock LILL have a resistor in series with the LED? I'm wondering if I can get a 1 amp SSC LED in that sucker.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a three-way for you. All flashlights running on a freshly charged 3.6V RCR-123

All pictures are of:

(Left) Mini-D with D-Flood Reflector,
(Middle) VINET with Seoul P4 U-Bin
(Right) LILL with P4-WH Cree XR-E

The last two lights have dual-brightness controlled by a resistor at the tailcap and multiposition switch. I have them both on full bright for the pictures.

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

Corresponding Beams to above pictures:
IMG_0770.jpg

Same beamshot, just underexposed 2 stops:
IMG_0771.jpg

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet! This is exactly what I was planning on doing with a Lill also. Thanks Paul! Too bad Waion sold out of the Cree stars.
Anyone know where to get SSC P4 stars (not emitters)?

Thanks.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
jsr,

Although Seoul stars aren't available (that I know of), you can swap the emitter directly on the star that's in the light. I don't like the LILL's beam with a cree, now that I see how nice the SSC beams are.

P.S. Just keep your fingers off the inside of the LILL reflector. About 7:00 in my photo you can see a dark spot where the silvering came right off with my fingerprint.

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks again, Paul! I should be getting those Seoul P4's this week... They were slated for a 2x P4 light, but i'm going to have to resist temptation to stick one in that LILL that's arriving, as well!