Small utility lights with red capability

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's been a fair amount of discussion lately on lights for nocturnal navigation and similar low lumen applications.

Flogged Synapse pointed out the pronounced "dazzle" effect of white LEDs, even low lumen output white LEDs. He thinks this is caused by the predominance of blue in their output spectra, and suggested red lights to avoid the dazzle-effect.

I'd prefer to get a utility light that isn't restricted to red only, so I've been looking for reasonably priced, small utility lights that offer both white and red capability.

Has anyone experience with any of these S&W lights?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11118439&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

These S&W lights feature two separate switches, one for their white LEDs and one for their colored LEDs, which looks like a great design to me. Having to click a switch to cycle through white to get to red is a crummy design.

The other light I've been looking at is the Streamlight Nightcom, but its white is Xenon incan. I may get one of those for outdoor use, but would prefer a lesser white output for use around the house.

Know of other small, reasonbly priced utility lights featuring separate switches for the different colors?

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummer the Proton might have been what your looking for. white and red LED, small AA size. However I'm pretty sure it uses only one switch. Still you might want to take a look.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Double_A said:
Bummer the Proton might have been what your looking for. white and red LED, small AA size. However I'm pretty sure it uses only one switch. Still you might want to take a look.

I've read reviews and various threads on the Proton.

There were issues with crossthreading of tailcap, battery contacts working loose and literally falling out of the light, malfunctions of the control system, and various other issues.

In short, it didn't impress me as a particularly reliable light, especially considering its price.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
deranged_coder said:
I have seen a few Coast lights that have separate switches for the red and white LEDs.

Thanks deranged_coder. Was aware of these but am hesitant to buy a Coast light due to their spotty reviews and generally poor reputation on CPF.

deranged_coder said:
Also, the Gerber Recon can switch between white, red, green and blue by using filters.

Thanks for the reminder as I'd forgotten all about this light. I'll read up on it.

deranged_coder said:
there's always the KROMA...

Ha ha funny joke.

InfidelCastro

Banned
ringzero said:
I've read reviews and various threads on the Proton.

There were issues with crossthreading of tailcap, battery contacts working loose and literally falling out of the light, malfunctions of the control system, and various other issues.

In short, it didn't impress me as a particularly reliable light, especially considering its price.

It looked like a pos that probably shouldn't be selling for $15, much less what they were asking. I think I called it right on that one.

Those Smith # Wesson lights look awesome! Love that dual switch design, finally someone was thinking when they came up with that.

Too bad the one uses the 3AAA batteries. In a carrier no doubt. AAA's are my least favorite power source, unless it's something small like a River Rock 2AAA.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Off the top of my head, there's:
Surefire K2 Kroma
Surefire A2 Aviator
Streamlight Night Com
PhotonLight Proton
Coast (don't remember name) 3xAAA 5mm

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the White-Red-Blue-Green Coast light. 3 white LEDs, 1 each of the others.
Separate clickie for each color. Minor *****, it doesn't switch until you let go,
so no momentary by pushing halfway, no sending morse code, etc.
3xAAA like so many consumer LED lights, but this one has gold-plated contacts
which ought to help keep corrosion away.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does each light take 3aaa batteries? Some in a cluster and others serial?

I think it would be more practial to have a different torch for each color.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenlight said:
Does each light take 3aaa batteries? Some in a cluster and others serial?

The red-white takes 3AAA.

The green-white and blue-white both take 2AA.

greenlight said:
I think it would be more practial to have a different torch for each color.

Check out: http://www.calcentron.com/Pages/Smi...Home/Smith&Wesson_Galaxy_LED_Pocket_Light.htm

You can get green body green LEDs, red body red LEDs, blue body blue LEDs, black body white LEDs - all 2AA lights and all models are only 15 bucks. Very nice for the money.

Also, check out: http://www.calcentron.com/Pages/Smi...&Wesson_Professional_Flashlight_3X-Galaxy.htm

Hybrid xenon-LED 2AA flashlights with your choice of white or red LEDs. Have lock out tail switches for the xenon, and push button barrel switches for the LEDs. For only 25 bucks! Way to go S&W!

Why couldn't Streamlight give us decent switches like this with their Twin-Task series of hybrid lights?

I must say that someone in the design department at S&W Flashlights is doing an outstanding job!

These lights are much better designed from a usability standpoint and also less expensive than some of S&W's more famous competitors in the flashlight arena.

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
Well I feel compelled to defend the Proton. After initial problems, which mine had, I now have two Protons that work flawlessly. One button control. Push and release for white, which you can then dim. Push and hold for red, which you can than brighten. There customer service was outstanding. They're backordered until January though. I wonder what version 2 will be like. Keep in mind, they're not the only brand to have problems, Surefire and Night-Ops come to mine. YMMV

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
cabindriver said:
Well I feel compelled to defend the Proton. After initial problems, which mine had, I now have two Protons that work flawlessly...Keep in mind, they're not the only brand to have problems, Surefire and Night-Ops come to mine. YMMV

Glad your initial issues with the Proton were sucessfully resolved and glad you like your lights.

If the initial quality/reliability issues with the Proton are fully resolved with the next model, then I'd probably buy one. I do like the basic concept of the Proton's control system and its low lumen red capability.

If quality issues are fully resolved, it would be a great general utility light. Certainly it would rank among the very best of the small utility lights.

Dog Chaser

Enlightened
On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay
My son just bought a little Eddie Bauer light at Target last week for his brother. This sounds strange, since all they do is fight for the rest of the year. I love Christmas! It looks like a nice enough light. 3AAA's, two buttons, one for six white LED's and another(slightly textured) for the one red LED. I think it was about $20.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Check out the Eternalight Derringer. It has two whites (3 levels), one red (two levels), and a bunch of flashing modes. Not particularly robust or water resistant, but it works well and is long running (3 AAA) and cheap ($25?).

Geoff

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of those Smith & Wesson lights look nice for the money. I like the separate switches for the Xenon and LED too. But the $15 LED only ones claim full spectrum LEDs, I'd like to see how they actually look. Anyone have one?

I have to say I love my Proton too. It is one of the great small general utility lights. I bought mine second hand from the first batch, but it never gave me any problems. The tailcap could use more threads, but it still wasn't much of a problem to thread closed. They should be a $40 light, but I still don't regret spending $50 for how much I've used it, and the red is useful and easy to access. It is one of only three lights in my current EDC rotation, and the least expensive.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Ringzero,

In low light situations you don't need much light. Dim red has been the standard for many years. Some of us have found that dim green works quite good and gives us a better "read" of the area.

Rigel Systems developed lights for star gazers, and they offer both red and green options along with the white LED. Inside, I tend to grab my green/white Starlite mini. It is not water resistant, however I have used it in hard rain. It got wet inside, but after I got back I took it apart and let it dry out and it works fine. The Starlite is better sealed against weather and would be my choice for outside use.

The mini has a slide switch to select green (or red or IR or whatever color LED's you have) or white, and a rotatory switch to ramp up the intensity. It starts dim and goes brighter. The Starlite only has a rotatory switch. You go one direction for green (or other color) and the other direction for white light. It also starts dim and ramps up.

These lights are powered by a 9 volt battery, and are large enough to be able to find them in the dark. I might go as far as to say that they are a bit bulky, but can be easily found in the dark. I am not sure what the battery run time is, but I have had my lights for around a year now and in spite of constant dim use, I am still on the battery that came with the light.

These are work tools, not beauty queens.

Tom

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
i have an offbrand replacement tailcap for minimags, with 1 white and 1 red 5mm led in it
by rotating the back end, you switch between the 2 colors and off, the mag is still operated by turning the head
pretty low quality, but i thought the idea was nice

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dog Chaser said:
My son just bought a little Eddie Bauer light at Target...It looks like a nice enough light. 3AAA's, two buttons, one for six white LED's and another(slightly textured) for the one red LED. I think it was about $20.

Thanks Dog Chaser, I'll check that one out for sure.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle said:
Check out the Eternalight Derringer. It has two whites (3 levels), one red (two levels), and a bunch of flashing modes. Not particularly robust or water resistant, but it works well and is long running (3 AAA) and cheap ($25?).

Thanks Flying Turtle, that's another light I'd largely forgotten about. Remember reading about the Derringer back before I found CPF.

Latest posts