Brand new SL Stinger: Keep or Exchange for Strion?

downtown-one

Newly Enlightened
I just received a brand new SL Stinger - fresh from the factory apparently as the dealer I bought it from had to backorder it. Now that I had time to rethink my order I am debating whether or not I should keep it or simply return it for the SL Strion. I opted for the fast charger for the car and for the home. They are being offered at the same price with a difference of $5.
They are relatively similar in throw and brightness.

Here's some background:

I've been scouring the forums, both LE types and CPF, to find the trade offs between the two. Apparently there aren't very much aside from (1) size, (2) activation choices and (3) battery type. I really wished that the Strion had a 'clickie' constant on option as oppose to the twist, otherwise my choice would have been easy.

The department has me on very sporadic job assignment entailing shifts that change from week to week (yes, it's really crazy believe me).Sometimes I will need a torch sometimes I would not. There is a "community stash" SL-20X that everyone can take from but trust me running with those dangling isn't very fun it pretty much downplays a person's agility. I want smaller and more compact.

Due to the nature of my job I could not guarantee use of the Stinger on a weekly basis. I could probably guarantee one use a week. I have been reading that ni-cad batteries need regular use to ensure the battery maintains longer life. I wouldn't want the true potential of the Stinger to be wasted. I like the clickie option but the size I fear will get to me as the 20Xs did.

Is ultra-compact the better way to go? The problem I have with the Strion is that it has the push button and twist option. I currently use a G2 Nitrolon and find it a little cumbersome having to twist it when I need the light for longer periods. But what I do like is that it uses a lithium batteries and its size - less maintenance, ensuring longer battery life and such.

I also like to carry the torch while in plain clothes and it would be obvious to have the Strion as oppose to the 9inch Stinger. Carrying the G2 in my pocket has the tendency to turn on after awhile which I hope doesn't carry on to the Strion. Perhaps I would need to get a pouch of some sort if I do side with the Strion.

To sum it up: My current set up of torches are a SL-20X and G2 Nitrolon for Duty. What is the best option to replace this combination? Do I keep the Stinger to replace both or do I go with the Strion?

I was hoping if anyone can offer any further opinions found on here as I have been scouring these forums for weeks for pointing me in the right direction. I've pretty much seen all of them. Also I have some fears that with the new Strion the Stinger would ultimately phased out - I wouldn't want to get stuck with an outdated torch.

Boris

Newly Enlightened
The strion will not activate in your pocket like the G2. It's also true, that the li-ion battery on the strion will hold the charge more time, with less self discharge. i think that for sporadic use, the strion will be a better choice, and you can have it in your pocket too...

Wetterman

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried the Strion switch? It's really quite easy to twist only with your thumb if you remember to lubricate the tail for smoother twist.

JimmyB

Enlightened
I vote for the Strion too. Among those you've mentioned, and given your situation, it's clearly the way to go. The twist action is very easy to use and easy to do one handed when you get used to it. As someone else said, the Li-on battery is not prone to self dischage like NiMh ot NiCad. BTW-I can't remember the last time I actually chased someone on foot. I just call for one of the new guys.
lolsign.gif

waynejitsu

Enlightened
I have the Strion, PolyStingers, XT Stingers, UltraStingers, regular Stingers and lotsa of other lights.
Of those memtioned, the Strion is my favorite pocket rocket.
My Strion appears to be brighter than the Stingers, better type battery (IMO) and am looking for another,

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm not LEO and do not play one on TV.

I had a Stinger in my old truck, and now it hangs on the wall at work with a timer to charge it a couple hours a day.

Lately it looks SICK compared to my Fenix P1. Also there is a KPR103 (3 cell Krypton) driven by 4 fresh Alk AA that KILLS the Stinger for output.

A buddy has two Stingers (One XT and one Standard) and both of them are sickly.

So just based on what I KNOW I would recommend Strion.

Basko

Newly Enlightened
I am an LEO but I don't play one on TV.

I work a dayshift but always have at least two lights on me. One is a Strion. I use it often when searching vehicles. I love it. For the last eight months I have been out of the field and in a training environment only. The Strion has been in my gunbelt hanging in my closet the entire time. It still has a charge. I haven't charged it once. Light is working just fine. The beam quality can't be compared to my Surefires, however. But I no longer carry my Stingers.

s23246g

Newly Enlightened
I am a former LEO, and I carried a poly stinger for more than 5 years. I now own a Strion, and wish I'd had it back then instead. The only real difference I see besides the switch is the size, and when you're packing a duty belt to the limit, size (and weight) matters. I'd go with the Strion.

downtown-one

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be sending back the SL Stinger on Monday have just placed an order for the SL Strion.

For future references (and should I decide to keep the Stinger - along with the Strion - as I wait for the Post Office to open on Monday) what is the best practice to keep the Stinger battery in the best shape possible in terms of brightness, battery charge longevity, etc?

Should I charge it in the beginning of the week and then use it through out the week before plopping it back on the charger etc....

I do realize that the Stinger can be recharged up to 1000 times but the performance and brilliance would surely degrade to an extent even after a year of possession...

Last edited:

s23246g

Newly Enlightened
As far as recharging goes, it depends on how you plan to use it. When I was on the job, I used my stinger every night, and put it on the charger when I got home. I would have been in trouble if I'd used it halfway the night before and then got in a foot pursuit or something. But, if you are only using it a little bit at a time, and there is no danger involved if it runs down, then charging when it runs out is fine (i think... you guys can (and will) correct me if I'm wrong.) One thing I have noticed about the Strion is that it doesn't give much warning. When it gets low, it just shuts off. But, it will come back on for a second or two numerous times, so if was an emergency situation, you could find your way or something by using momentary bursts.

bones_708

Enlightened
There is also the possiblity of upgrading the battery in the stinger. Funny but my buddy got a new stinger and fresh of the charger with it's own batter it wasn't as bright as when we tried the battery from my 9AN.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to be crazy, consider also something like a Pelican M6 or other similarly-sized LED. I suspect that it is just as throwy (I have both and will compare), with a whiter beam and no filament bulb to pop at just the wrong time. It'll feed on a rechargeable. Has a clicky. Blah blah. Downside is that you have to take the battery out to recharge, but this also allows you to simply drop in a fresh one without waiting. Not trying to sell you on it - just something to consider. My Strion gets no use whatsoever, but similarly sized LEDs like the SF L4, Gladius, M6, etc. do.

cheers

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I sent a couple of emails to SL customer service back in August 2006, about changes to the Strion. Including a clicky switch , slightly more aggressive checkering and a slightly longer tail cap for using on a table like a candle. I got a reply back saying that those changes were being incorporated in the Strion line over the next year. So it is happening just taking a little time to incorporate .