AAA questions...I have lost track....

Osm3um

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about the basic questions and I will be searching the forum after this post.

I have been away for quite sometime and am blown away by the changes! This recent storm in Washington has rekindled my interest in flashlights. It appears that the Fenix models are hot right now.

136 users in the LED forum this morning? Wow things have grown!

What's this cree thing?

I am interested in single AAA or single AA units in particular. (suggestions?)

I already have an older Arc AAA (violet color.....) and another less expensive unit (cone shaped blue, can't recall the manufacturer). I also have a couple 2xAA.

I do not have any units from peakledsolutions. I remember when they opened and have a bad taste in my mouth from those days, so I have been avoiding them.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
Osm3um said:
I am also curious why it states that use of lithium batteries voids the warranty?

Bob

I still consider myself new to flashlights but from what I have read from the good members here on the forum is that lithium batteries draw power a little differently I think it draws more power into the light which will damage soem lights therefore is considered "abuse" by some companies and will void the warranty...Someone else can give you more information on exactyl what lithium batteries do (a more specific answer anyway) but I do know that they will sometimes damage the light...so it does void the warranty...

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can post pictures we can identify your unknowns. For single AAA L0p SE $35 are very popular because of three light levels (and three runtimes).
For single AA the fenix L1t has two light levels and is $43.50.
http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22
Your older arc AAA could probably use an led upgrade.

Cree is the newest hotness for efficient high output leds but to my knowledge they have yet to be put into any production lights so they are modder fodder for now. Lithium Ion batteries (3.6 volts) should not be used in 1.5 volt lights as a no brainer rule. Lithium AA 1.7 volts wont hurt any light that takes AA batteries unless it uses many of them in series resulting in overvoltage. A good example of this overvoltage is the PT surge that uses 8 AA 1.5 volt batteries in series/parallel. If you used lithiums you'd get 6.8 volts; too much for the delicate lamp and poof. I am not aware of any LED solutions that have ever been damaged by the use of 1.7 volt lithium AA batteries.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOu know, for these storms where having in washington, I find two kinds of lights most valuable. D cell LED lights (long - long super - extra long runtime ceiling bouncers) and outdoor throwers (incandescent light sabers). Single AA and AAA lights just dont have the runtime or the throw that I need for me to rely on them in these blackouts and serve mostly as EDC lights. If I could have only three lights for these conditions they'd be a cyclops thor 15mcp, a 2d everymans light with SMJled PR bulb upgrade, and a headlamp (my river rock 2AAA).