General observations on headlamps.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
I've been kind of cool on headlamps for a while. Yeah, I had two and used them when I absolutely had to have my hands free. Way way back, I did a lot of caving and used a carbide lamp...but that's another story.

Recently, I've re-thought the options and came to different conclusions.

My headlamp objections were:

1. Poor terrain illumination. The high position is good in some respects, but a lower position, down around my waist or lower, showed the dips and rises much better. More helpful shadows are cast.

2. Crappy atmospherics. With the light above the eyes, every water droplet and dust particle and pollen grain between my eyes and what I want to see is brightly illuminated. On cold nights, vapor rises and almost completely blanks out my vision with every breath.

3. Inconvenience. Oh yes, hands free, but I'm a hat and cap guy. Watch caps and pile beanies will sort of work, but when the elastic headband is put on over them, the whole thing rides up and eventually slips off unless I tighten it up to headache-producing levels. And I like to slip headgear off and scratch my head sometimes. PITA.

I already had a Black Diamond Moonlight for general close-up use and a PT Apex for versatile heavy duty. Recently I got both the PT Quad and PT Eos. The two of them together weigh less than the Apex. Both take alkalines, NiMH, lithium primaries. So here is where I have been going with this:

I wear the Quad upside down, around my neck. Stays put, angle adjusts as much as I need that way, good flood to illuminate nearby path on lowest setting, higher flood for trickier passages, no interference from atmospherics and improved (but not ideal) terrain perception. No headgear issues. I don't really care if the button is on the bottom. Fine position for reading.

When needed, I wear the Eos on my head as God and PT intended. Generally for occasional use. The spot is better suited to pointing where you are looking. With the Quad flood, not an issue. The Eos does a great job of reaching out and touching something. On low, good for moving around inconspicously.

This combination is more versatile for my typical uses, if less elegant than one unit. If I find batteries declining in the Quad, I could raid the Eos, probably.

Any thoughts?

- Bill

TMorita

Enlightened
My favorite headlamp is my modded Zenix IQ. Replaced all the LEDS - used a cutdown IMS17 + 2 cutdown Wahwangs.

In IMS17 gives a good spotlight with lots of spill. The two LED mode is now a completely even floodlight with no rings.

Toshi

Hiker

Newly Enlightened
I usually wear my EOS when hiking at night. Great light & keeps my hands free for hiking poles. Low is usually enough which helps to minimize atmospheric reflection.

I also carry my PolyPro Luxeon 4AA. When there is too much moisture in the air I hold it low to minimize reflection. Also great if I need more distance or must more light.

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
I guess my main point was, does anyone else prefer to wear a flood headlamp around the neck instead of on the head? For the reasons I mentioned. Not tight around the neck! Just pulled over the head, upside down, resting on the chest.

I didn't like using headlamps until I started doing that, and now I do.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting.... i don't notice those negitive features.... and I use my headlamp everyday

Gaffle

Enlightened
woodfluter said:
I guess my main point was, does anyone else prefer to wear a flood headlamp around the neck instead of on the head?

I bought a Myo Xp before my April steelhead fishing season. The problem was the amount of fog my breath created with the light sitting atop my head. I had to exhale out of the side of my mouth for a few times. I need the flood/spot to point where I look, and I need it to be hands free in those wet conditions, so that wasn't a major annoyance.

Well lately I have been wearing my Xp around my neck. Reading, taking my daughter for a walk around the block, laundry. It just depends on how the light is working for you.

If you find that you can cave better with a light around your neck, then its all good. The difference is that I really like my headlamps. I am up to 4 and am sure that number will grow. I use them all the time. Hands free is just GGGrrrrrrrEAT!

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
These forums continue to illuminate the vast range of ideas and preferences we all have. Being rather numb and thick skulled, the heavy Apex hasn't bothered me and I employ the side-of-the-mouth (just one side at a time - not both like most politicians ;) ) breathing trick.

Generally I don't like anything around my neck such as a: tie, turtleneck, necklaces, lint, dust...OK, I'm not THAT phobic. Now I have a rationale to buy another light. I don't have a headlight without the top band and it's against the rules to remove it so...maybe it's time to get that Eos that's so popular.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bill,

I have tried wearing a headlamp around the neck, but it seems the major advantage of being able to direct the beam where you want it to go is compromised. On my head, I can easily "point" the beam where I want it to go. Around my neck, it requires some body contortions at times.

I prefer wearing a headlamp on my bicep for non standard use. I still have to bend a little to see from side to side, but up and down movement works well. The only problem comes when you lift your arm up, you end up flashing yourself in the eyes.

Tom

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Now that's and interesting idea, Tom. I thought briefly about the around-the-bicep idea but never tried that. Thanks, I'll give it a go and see how that works.

About losing the "pointing" advantage wearing it around the neck, true enough, but for me it seems a negligible loss with a flood, but quite significant with a spot.

- Bill

SilverFox said:
I prefer wearing a headlamp on my bicep for non standard use. I still have to bend a little to see from side to side, but up and down movement works well. The only problem comes when you lift your arm up, you end up flashing yourself in the eyes.
Tom

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
jar3ds said:
interesting.... i don't notice those negitive features.... and I use my headlamp everyday

Not sure where you are, but it might be different depending on climate. I probably wouldn't object nearly so much where it was warm and dry. Here in Georgia, the air is either full of pollen, cool and humid, or rainy - and I hate not having the advantages of a hat!