Sony DSC-F707?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I was looking at purchasing a Sony DSC-F707 digital camera and was wanted to know what people think of them. Thanks, any feedback is appreciated.

-Mike

RY3

Enlightened
There are many web site has review on this and other digital camera, I also found this Forum very useful when looking for a DC.

K-T

*Moderator*
Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the 707 and 717? I couldn't find out?
rolleyes.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
k-t
use the link that ry posted; click on the menu item 717 review (top right), scroll down the page a little bit, and a chart shows the differences side by side

RY3

Enlightened
Originally posted by K-T:
Can anybody tell me what the difference is between the 707 and 717? I couldn't find out?
rolleyes.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This might help Link.

This site (and others) has side by side comparision feature under the buying guide.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I was looking, I would strongly consider the Sony. I have a Nikon now (CP990) which I generally like but I refuse to buy another Nikon digital until they offer low/no light auto focus assist something of which they haven't done yet while many other camera's including the Sony do so. There has been more then one low (not real low either) indoor light occasion where I was burned because the camera wouldn't focus.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Nikon, there's no focus assist light; really need to use manual focus to preset it before the shot for certain situations. Comparing the 995 with the 990 though, I find the 995 doesn't have as much trouble focusing in low light levels, though.
If by chance you have an older version 1.0 firmware in the 990, you may be able to do a firmware update on it to 1.1. (hold the menu button down as you turn on the camera to check the current version), though it most likely is already v1.1

Nikon 990 firmware upgrade

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
hey no one mentioned stevesdigicams.com, king of the camera sites. Lots of third party unbiased reviews, my favorite. I bought a Nikon 885 on the basis of the nice sample pics, and I find it more than satisfactory.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I own (but hardly EVER get to see!) a Sony Floppy Disk Camera (model escapes me just now but it reaches out pretty good and does some neat tricks) that I really like! I would most certainly buy another!

Only major drawback to it and many non-film cameras is a hesitation from deciding you want the picture to it actually taking the photo. This is no problem when things are sitting still....

I take motorcycle and airplane pics with film!

lightuser

Newly Enlightened
The f717 is supposed to have a much faster firing response than the f707. It matters when you are doing airplanes for sure. My 885 coolpix is rather slow. I would be interested in a 717 for that and for the dedicated focus ring, I hate the pushbutton focuses they put on there

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
How fast is the firing response on the F707? Is it fast enough for shooting running event (not sprints, 5 and 10 k's)? Thanks.

WhiteAsSnow

Newly Enlightened
Xrunner,

I enjoy my F707... i guess it depends on what you need and want. The biggests con is the Memory Stick. Typical Sony making life more difficult than it should be.

Anyway, you should be able to capture runners in a long distance running event. The folks over at dpreview.com would be more than happy to give you more help as far as firing response goes and such.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the famous, AluminumOvercast, a member here on CPF who take GREAT photos, uses the F-707. My cousin also has the F-707 and it is a work of art. You just GOT to love the fact that it has assisted low/no light focusing. Also, your night time abilities aren't limited to a LCD viewfinder, which is a plus when you can't even see anything through the LCD when there is no light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

someone was talking about this upcoming product but I can't find the exact string -- this string is the closest I can find -- here it is -- hope you notice it whomever you are /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you for your inquiry for this item:
Sony - SODSCV1 - Cybershot DSC-V1 Digital Camera
We would like to inform you that this item is now available from bhphotovideo.com.
Check it out:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/item/IC=SODSCV1-REG___BI=15___NI=CB0AE2C4E
AOL Users click <a href=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/item/IC=SODSCV1-REG___BI=15___NI=CB0AE2C4E>here</a>
If the above link does not work, please copy and paste this item code

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif