5 pack of led light for $4.99

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
home depot had a 5 pack of 2 AAA lights 1 single 5mm, upon viewing them with my step father,....while we were holding them I noticed something thats smelled like gas, I said to him "do you have gas or something on you hands", he said "no" and smelled his hands. I then smelled mine out of curiousity then smelled the flashlight, "Its the lights" I said........In the garbage they went...

Skibane

Enlightened
Go fish 'em back out of the trash - They're not bad lights for the money!

The carbon-zinc AAA cells they include are iffy - Several of mine showed a partial discharge, right out of the box. However, these lights will also run on AA cells (including rechargeables), and are very power-miserly - very handy for long-term power failures. Measured current consumption is just 60 mA.

The DC upconverter circuit they use will also operate the LED with just one battery (at roughly the same current draw), which means they will squeeze most of the power out of pair of batteries.

The AAA to AA cell conversion tubes are worth saving, too, IMO - Never know when you might run out of AA cells for your low-wattage flashlights.

As for that trademarked Chinese rubber smell, most of that'll go away after a few weeks of airing out. Just put them someplace where you don't have to sniff them all the time, and I promise you won't grow a second head, extra appendages, etc.! :D

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dude, a little kitty liter and they'd be ready to rock... but seriously, you could have exchanged them right? Maybe the box they were in had something spilled on it before they were stocked.

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess i will take them back to home depot tomorrow, since i have to get some stuff to put a lighted tree in the back of my pickup

Skibane

Enlightened
Omega Man said:
Maybe the box they were in had something spilled on it before they were stocked.

Nope, that just the way Chinese-made rubber smells. If you've ever wandered around in a Harbor Freight store, you already know the "aroma" well...

SuperNinja

Enlightened
Skibane said:
Nope, that just the way Chinese-made rubber smells. If you've ever wandered around in a Harbor Freight store, you already know the "aroma" well...
I like that rubber smell. :rock:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I found these today on sale for $4. They're rather dim but nothing a mod can't fix. :devil: For $0.80 each you really can't go wrong. :rock:

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you put in 2 AA's instead of the AAA's it a little bit brighter, nothing to get excited about though. What mods could be done to this, not that it worth it, or to consider this even a partial rational thought, but.....Thats what we do

wholeflaffer

Enlightened
Would someone be willing/able to post some pictures of this flashlight? Or at least describe it. What shape is it, how is it switched, is the head removeable, etc. I am curious enough, having played with the dollar store 3-LED lights, to see what there is to work with here. TIA!

Latest posts