Clickied P1D CE

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Machined a body for the Fenix P1D CE and slapped on a Z61.
Shorter than a TW4 and looks funny with a McClickie too.
Makes jogging through the different output modes much easier.

After struggling with the barely used milling machine and having to remove more and more to make all the
sides even, it ended up quite differently from what I had in mind.

A larger bezel should look better, but my limited knowledge of converters and LEDs leaves me to just 'Frankenstein' existing lights. Machining is my main interest though it might be time to pull out that unopened PR-T head and do some homework :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
:wow: Very nice work :goodjob:

It's a great improvement, does a protected RCR123 cell still fit?

Best regards

_____
Tom

jwl

Enlightened
Looks really nice. :goodjob:

Any reason you couldn't make a body that would work with the Fenix clickie tail caps and have them HA'd like the other Fenix bodies you have done in the past???? If they ended up in the same price area I'd bet they'd sell like hotcakes (fast). I know I'd like one.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great mod, really like your creativity...

Curious why you still have not fitted your own delrin tailstand-mod ;) haha

Keep up the good work !

LowTEC

Enlightened
How much and when? :laughing:

poop, the price of having a clickie Cree really adds up now

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
A XR-E pocket light run at potential and with only one level would be too bright (gasp, yes too bright!) for some uses, and IMHO will need multi levels and an easy way to change them quickly and easily.

This body was made for pure fun and experimentation to see what could be done.

The machining on the clicky side was started before the P1D CE was in my hands and I finally finished it yesterday (and it is still far from what I want).
There is no way I can offer these, nor do I think it clever to have a large batch made by a factory. I believe there will be many multi level XR-E clicky lights to choose from soon.

(EDIT: Don't do the following. Bad idea. The material at the bottom of the body is too thin, I found out the hard way :mecry: )
Another idea is to bore a hole in the end of the P1D body and install a Kroll. You could do this without a lathe. Drill the right sized hole and use a tap (5/8-28) to cut the threads. I haven't looked closely at this idea, but you'll probably need to add some kind of spacer between the Kroll and body.

Last edited:

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long John said:
*snip*
It's a great improvement, does a protected RCR123 cell still fit?
_____
Tom
Yes, the ID is 17.00 so Protected RCRs should fit.

jwl said:
*snip*
Any reason you couldn't make a body that would work with the Fenix clickie tail caps and have them HA'd like the other Fenix bodies you have done in the past????
Yes, many reasons..
One reason is that the Fenix clicky is 'reverse' which many don't like. I also want to move on from just adapters and tailguards to something new. Other reasons are more personal.
As posted, I'm sure there will be more new products from various brands soon.
Oh and BTW, the CR123 bodies are not HA. The U2 TG will be though.

LowBat said:
Is it using a regular or reverse clicky?
They are regular clickies.
The black one is a Surefire Z61 used on the E series light. It is the same as the Z57(HA Nat), but HA Black. The other clicky shown in the 3rd and 4th pics are McGizmo's Ti McClicky.

bombelman said:
*snip
Curious why you still have not fitted your own delrin tailstand-mod ;) haha
Clicking on and off is OK, but it gets in the way when you need to click through rapidly, a terrible design :laughing:

Tachion

Newly Enlightened
Nice work! :)

I had a dream about doing something like that but when I woke up I realized I don't have a machine shop. :(

Doesn't it work to use the "momentary on" for skipping to the mode you want and when you reach the desired mode you just press until it clicks?

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tachion said:
Nice work! :)
I had a dream about doing something like that but when I woke up I realized I don't have a machine shop. :(
Doesn't it work to use the "momentary on" for skipping to the mode you want and when you reach the desired mode you just press until it clicks?
Yes the momentary on will work to change levels. Another reason I find the normal clicky better.
I got a lathe which is probably the smallest you can find, and started machining only after joining CPF.
Stop dreaming, you have to start somewhere :)