An E-Series Frankenstein (photos)

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since year 2000, I met with friends for a barbecue every friday, during the summer season (now) we eat at the terrace which is not properly illuminated for having a dinner, so a solution was in order :D

Using my lathe I machined a not sofisticated head and a direct driven solid chunk of aluminium light engine with a pedestal for a cree XR-E, here are the photos of the 1st incarnation of the frankenstein E-series, this was a week ago:

frankenstein01

frankenstein02

frankenstein03

frankenstein04

frankenstein05

frankenstein06

As we all know now, the XR-E is a throw monster and there was no need for a reflector since what I needed was a flood beam over the dinning table, so for this week I decided to do another head, this time using a flood Neoca Creeflector prototype. Unfortunatelly doing tests during this last week I blew the original XR-E, so instead I used a XR7090 (older brother of the xre)

I looked for a proper diameter piece of ALU and I found nil, so I used acrylic :ohgeez:, a little concerned about heat dissipation, but since the xr7090 was being unused I decided to go ahead.

The head uses the same light engine, a pineapple body and a 2 levels McTailcap, the reflector is heavily sputtered and the retaining ring is held in place by just pressure, here are some pictures of it:

frankenstein07

frankenstein08

frankenstein09

frankenstein10

It was on for about 1.5 hours and the heat wasn't a problem at all. When I buy more xre's I will replace the led for more efficiency, but the good'ol xr7090 served the purpose very well. Now, the frankenstein e-series light, is officially our new terrace light

Have fun!

Pablo

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too fun...Pablo you are one crazy cat!

You deserve a complimentary rib dinner for that patio lamp.

I love the way the big head glows...

Keep it up,

TB

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ribs? any time! meat is so inexpensive here, take for example, meat for a barbecue for a party of 10 is less than $30 and that includes the charcoal :D add $10 of beer (15 liters) and you are good to go...

Pablo

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's awesome!

How much is a flight to Argentina?...I'm ready for Ribs and beers...and more beers:grin2: I don't a place to sleep, I'll just get drunk and pass out somewhere.