Keychain Fenix - L0P, L0D or E0 - for Wife?

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wondering if I can get some opinions from users on comparisons between the L0P and L0D as a keychain light for my wife? I'm also looking at the E0, which I have already. I like the long runtime and simplicity of the E0 for keychain use. Are the adjustable levels of the L0D and L0P lights worth the extra size, decreased runtime and minor increase in use? (I know it sounds crazy, but I'm not sure a non-flashaholic would be as patient as we might be with the user interface on the L0 lights.)

Thanks for any opinions.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you should get the LOD simply because it can take li-ion 10440 for that extra burst of illumination and one can always revert back to alkalines or any AAA primary for longer run time.Not to forget the luxeon 3 watt for it's size.
Anxiously waiting for mine :)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Treat the L0P-SE as a 3X brighter light (compared to a E0) with a 90 minute runtime. Unlike clicky switch multi-mode lights there is no need to cycle through the unused modes to get to off. I prefer the nice beam pattern of the L0P-SE to the E1.

The L0D is not worth the extra money to get the blinky-blinky modes. When the L0P-SE is sold out there will be no choice.

It really comes down to whether your wife is happy with the brightness level of your E0 or wants a brighter light.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wife is like mine, and just wants to turn it on or off without the fuss of extra modes, consider the L0P.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Here's four AAA lights that are all about the same size and fit on a key ring very nicely:

...............Alkalline runtime.....Lithium Runtime
Fenix E0.............10h 50m........12h
Fenix E1.............3h................4h 46m
Fenix L0P...........1h................1h 29m
Huntlight FT-A3..53m..............1h 37m

They are also listed in order of brightness...top to bottom with the E0 being the dimest.

pocket.jpg

HuntLight FT A3, Fenix L0P, Fenix E1, Fenix E0

Last edited:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put two flashlights on my wifes keychain, one Photon Microlight II for close getting key in doors stuff, and a P1 for safety and lighting up the area. She works afternoons and walks out to her car sometimes alone and needs something that lights up all around between cars and corners, and the P1 does that.

SpeedEvil

Newly Enlightened
I have a L0P-SE.

The 'normal' beam is quite bright enough to see several meters with, and will last well over a couple of hours on a battery.
As to batteries, I'd recommend a Eneloop - or similar one, a NiMH, with low self-discharge.
Simply as self-discharge is several times worse if carried in the pocket, or a bag that may be left in the sun.
And it may be forgotten to charge it for relatively extended periods.

10440 lithiums are _not_ for the casual user.
You can't get a replacement if you lose it, and it may well screw up stuff it's put into .

And the brightness increase - in an AAA light is rather pointless, as it'll start to burn you in a couple of minutes.

I have replaced my mini-maglite-solitare, with this, and the difference is just 'wow'.

I now hardly ever go looking for a 'proper' torch, as there is simply no need for most of the stuff I do.

The 'normal' brightness level is just fine for most tasks, and if you need more, you can get it.

I would get a L0P-SE, and maybe not even mention the other brightness levels for a couple of months.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the EO on my keychain and the L0PSE in my coat pocket at all times. Your wife would most likely like any of these and if she isn't going to be using it all that often I would suggest the brighter of the bunch the LOD. She might not like the multi levels and how you have to switch the light on and off and then back on to get to the different levels of output. My GF thinks that it is stupid and doesn't want any lights that use this method. Because of this I bought her an E1 since it has more brightness than the EO and over twice the runtime of the LOP. Very flat regulation as well!

whc

Enlightened
One more vote for the L0P-SE, good small flashlight, good runtime, and it is well priced (got mine on sale). I can only recommend it :)...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
If your wife is like mine she probably won't use it anyway and she certainly won't want to mess with multiple levels if it is used. I suggest keep it simple with the E0 in natural color. You might only need to change the battery for her once a year.

Geoff

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Change of plans - went to 4Sevens' store and feel for the L0D-SE in red with snowflakes. The boys (who are getting E0s as presents) thought Mom would really like the red/flakes color scheme, so away we are. I do take the point about simplicity, but she may never really focus on having the other levels.

As a footnote on the multi-level AAA Fenix lights, I put my new L0-Ti in my pocket when one of my sons went off with me for deer this afternoon and we used it to come back out of the forest after dark. We were surprised how much light the high setting produced, so I would say that having the flexibility - if you want it - is not a bad thing!

Many thanks again to all.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
LOL i've only been on these forums briefly and I've seen this exact same thread appear 3 times.

gorn

Enlightened
My wife has an arc AAA on one set of keys, on the other I got her a Fenix EO. The EO is much brighter than the Arc, although the Arc is one of my original old Arc company lights. At half the price of a new Arc I would say go for the EO. If your wife is anything like mine she could care less about runtime. She just wants a light that will come on when she needs it. She has never used it for more than a few minutes at a time.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
gorn said:
My wife has an arc AAA on one set of keys, on the other I got her a Fenix EO. The EO is much brighter than the Arc, although the Arc is one of my original old Arc company lights. At half the price of a new Arc I would say go for the EO. If your wife is anything like mine she could care less about runtime. She just wants a light that will come on when she needs it. She has never used it for more than a few minutes at a time.

I've had the same experience with comparing my E0 to an Arc that I gave to my father a few years ago. The Fenix E0 is much brighter than the Arc.
Anyway, good luck with the "giving the wife a flashlight" deal. I hope she appreciates it.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given my other half and her mother E1's and they love them. I think its the natural colour that they like the most but it does come in handy too.

Mike89

Enlightened
Dunno about the L0D, never had one. As far as the L0P vs the E0, it's no comparison. L0P hands down, way brighter. If you had them both side by side and see how much more light the L0P puts out, you'll take the E0 and give it to a long lost uncle as a Christmas present.

Then there is the choice of either the L0P or the L0P SE. I'd say the wife is going to like the L0P much better because there is one twist on - twist off beam. The SE's got the twist on, twist off 1.5 seconds, twist back on the next beam, etc. As far as I'm concerned that's nothing but a hassle and I bet the wife's not going to want to go through that each time she needs to use it. I know mine wouldn't. I'd say, keep it simple. The L0P does put out an astonishing amount of light for a AAA battery. It's a great little light.

Last edited:

EsthetiX

Enlightened
Mike89 said:
As far as the L0P vs the E0, it's no comparison. L0P hands down, way brighter. If you had them both side by side and see how much more light the L0P puts out, you'll take the E0 and give it to a long lost uncle as a Christmas present.

\the L0P much better because there is one twist on - twist off beam. The SE's got the twist on, twist off 1.5 seconds, twist back on the next beam, etc.\

That's not accurate. You dont have to wait 1.5 seconds each time lol that would be rediculous. You cycle levels instantly without waiting. You misunderstood what you heard somewhere. After 1.5 seconds of being off the l0p se resets to the default medium setting the next time you turn it on (which is great). Once again. 1.5 seconds has nothing to do with cycling from one level to the next.

Also, the reason some people may prefer the E0 is because it has a 16 hour run time with the right batterys! Most others dont come close INCLUDING the L0P (which you said wins hands down). This means 13+ hours after the l0P dies the E0 will still be running strong! Sometimes run time is more important than power.

The L0P Se Is great because you can concerve power by using low. And sometimes the high setting can be waay to bright for small tasks.

I have both of these lights (E0 & L0P se) and they're both great!

Also I just picked up an Arc aaa P and Im kinda diggin it. These 3 kick azz.

Last edited:

Mike89

Enlightened
I've never had the light but what I said about the 1.5 seconds deal is what the directions say. I just read it again.

It does come down to light output vs runtime. It's the personal choice one would make. For me it's all about light output. The difference between the E0 and L0P in light output is substantial, and that's putting it mildly. It's very easy to carry another battery in her purse. Mine does. Again, it comes down to what kind of light you want. To me (especially with trying out the L0P), the E0 is useless, it's just too dam dim.

The L0D is even worse as far as cycling, it's five times instead of three. I still say the wife would probably like a single on and off better than having to cycle through beams each time.

Last edited: