New Host

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
Going to take a look at this light for a Host. Thinking of going HID. I can't find anything on what kind of lamp it has or voltage. It is a vintage raymarine light.

boatlight.jpg

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
I finally got the light. I cleaned it up abit and tested it out. From what I have learned about it so far is that it has a 12v 100W bulb, it has an adjustment for moving the bulb towards and away from the lens so that the beam is adjustable. I got a few pics tonight. I can see the beam when aimed into the air, but my camera couldnt capture it. I am still thinking of how I want to go with this one. Still thinking HID, but am open to suggestions.
light3.JPG

light2.JPG

light1.JPG

light4.JPG

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello wesalbert:)

It depends on your tasks. When you'll have the uses for a HID in this size, go for it. It's not easy portable so at the end it will be a fun mod.
When you live in a house with garden, you can also build a multiple Led light to illuminate the complete area.
Also a combination of a HID (reflectored in the center) and multiple Cree's in smaller reflectors around is possible.

In every case, I wish you a lot of fun and good luck.

Best regards

____
Tom

wesalbert

Newly Enlightened
I have no purpose for the light, just something to play with.

Long John said:
Hello wesalbert:)

It depends on your tasks. When you'll have the uses for a HID in this size, go for it. It's not easy portable so at the end it will be a fun mod.
When you live in a house with garden, you can also build a multiple Led light to illuminate the complete area.
Also a combination of a HID (reflectored in the center) and multiple Cree's in smaller reflectors around is possible.

In every case, I wish you a lot of fun and good luck.

Best regards

____
Tom

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I'd leave it as is and buy something recent for modding.
Two reasons:
1) the light is cool as is if you like this form factor :D
2) a modern host might be better with seals against the environment, battery space, reflector etc. ...

But this is IMHO of course.
:)

bernie

thezman

Enlightened
I think it's cool just the way it is.

If it were mine, I wouldn't do anything to it except clean it up and put it on a shelf. They don't make em' like that anymore (maybe for a good reason) :laughing: , but it's still a piece of history never to be made again.

" For Display Purposes Only" :grin2: