My second SL 4AA PP Luxeon, dimmer than my first :(

I've been real happy with my first one I got last year that I ordered another one. The only difference should be the body color. Using a regulated 5v power supply (simulates midpoint votlage of partially discharged NiMH very well), the new, dimmer one gave me a reading of 2.07 input watt. old brighter one 2.13 input watt after allowing both to reach operating temperature and stabilize.

The new one is noticeably inferior in throw, noticeably dimmer hot spot and ceiling bounce test also points in this direction. What now ? ::rant:

I don't have a specialized equipment and this is the best objective data I could obtain. Both flashlights were fed charged up NiMH, allowed to fully warm up for 10 minutes as this light is known to thermal throttle slightly, then I photographed objects containing all three colors (R,G,B) separately using the same exposure settings. The light under test was placed in the same location and aimed at the ceiling in the same manner for consistency sake.

newone.jpg

oldone.jpg

side_by_side.jpg

New

Old

The two modules look almost the same The groove is slightly different and the new one has what appears to be a lot number while the old one is absent of any marking. I wanted to get it to line up better, but I had to hold them in place some random objects so they won't roll around.

side-by-side.jpg

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I've noticed that all 5 of mine are a little different. Fox-intl was nice enough to replace my dimmest one. I'm sure you have tried switching the batteries? Most of us cpf's are a little picky but if it's that bad I would try and have it replaced.
Maybe your first one is just to darn bright!:laughing: The PP is still my most often used light!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had four of these pass through my hands, and one of them was a true dud--about half as bright as it should have been. My non-flashaholic fiancée was happy with it, but I considered the underperforming light to be such a travesty that I eventually bought her a new one. :)

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one I bought a while back absolutely exceeded my expectations for output and throw. My light meter exagerates white LED output by about 12% but I still read over 5000 lux at 1 meter.

In my home made integrating sphere I see a reading of 791 (estimated 56.5 lumens) in the first few seconds.

I doubt there are many out there that put out more light. I wouldnt be surprised if there are some that are quite a bit dimmer than others, since mine is about twice as bright as the one Flashlight Reviews tested.

I sent Streamlight engineering dept with a request for normal distribution data. Hopefully, they'll be able to provide standard deviation and confidence level from a fairly large number of samples.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would send it back. You will probably get it replaced in your hands within 4-5 days after you ship it to them. I sent my light in and got a new flashlight in 4 days from California. Extremely good Customer Service.
Handlobraesing said:
I sent Streamlight engineering dept with a request for normal distribution data. Hopefully, they'll be able to provide standard deviation and confidence level from a fairly large number of samples.

chevrofreak said:
The one I bought a while back absolutely exceeded my expectations for output and throw. My light meter exagerates white LED output by about 12% but I still read over 5000 lux at 1 meter.

In my home made integrating sphere I see a reading of 791 (estimated 56.5 lumens) in the first few seconds.

I doubt there are many out there that put out more light. I wouldnt be surprised if there are some that are quite a bit dimmer than others, since mine is about twice as bright as the one Flashlight Reviews tested.

Things with a observable observation like this really make it a great risk of cherry picking review samples by the supplier I suppose.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux Lottery?

I got several MagLites in all sizes and all the colors are different. Some are visibly yellow, others a tint of blue, etc.

The intensity seems to be the same in all of them. In fact, the brightest one seems to be the blue one, not the pure white (Or do I just perceive it like that)

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
Things with a observable observation like this really make it a great risk of cherry picking review samples by the supplier I suppose.

Perhaps, but most people are more ethical than that. It couldn't be done with the SL 4AA without it being obvious anyway since the package is sealed.

chevrofreak said:
Perhaps, but most people are more ethical than that. It couldn't be done with the SL 4AA without it being obvious anyway since the package is sealed.

You're right in regard to SL 4AA. I was talking about LED flashlights in general, particularly the generic ones and its distributors. There are questionable products with counterfeit LED being sold off as Luxeons. Despite the discovery, there are some dealers who disclose it's a counterfeit, but continues to import something bearing the marking "Lumileds" on internal component even though they KNOW it is not made by Lumileds.

It is unlawful and unethical to knowingly import products or products known to contain counterfeit components that infringes on US trademark & patents into the states. They do it anyways and that's a reason to believe people like this wouldn't play by the code of ethics and would do something if they can get away with it.