The 30 minute $$$ 10 $$$ CR2-Ion XRE Upgrade

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend asked me to mod his CR2-Ion to something more usable.

So ... here goes.

1retainingringll4.jpg

With a small flat head screwdriver remove the retaining clip. Now the entire light engine should slide out nicely. [5 minutes]

2xreinstalledkf3.jpg

Apply a small amount of solder to the center trace, with a needle nose plier you should be able to remove the exist Cree X-Lamp 7090. Fire up your oven & preheat to 300F. Apply a small amount of solder paste and drop them in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and let it cool. [15 minutes]

3xreinstalledid7.jpg

Reinstall the light engine with the retaining clip you won't see the concentration of green phosphor reflection on the reflector like that of many other XRE mod. It's the nature of the reflector to generate a flood beam. It's OK! [5 minutes]

4lightxo4.jpg

Voila! Let there be Light!

*opps did I say 30 minutes ... well maybe only 25 for those who got everything prepared.

Although flood light is not my taste, but with the XRE inside is a little less of a flood and more usable.
Endeavor, great job there buddy!

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remove the retaining clip, it stuck like it glue in. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
How you remove the glue?

Raybo

Enlightened
modamag said:
A friend asked me to mod his CR2-Ion to something more usable.

So ... here goes.

1retainingringll4.jpg

With a small flat head screwdriver remove the retaining clip. Now the entire light engine should slide out nicely. [5 minutes]

2xreinstalledkf3.jpg

Apply a small amount of solder to the center trace, with a needle nose plier you should be able to remove the exist Cree X-Lamp 7090. Fire up your oven & preheat to 300F. Apply a small amount of solder paste and drop them in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove it from the oven and let it cool. [15 minutes]

3xreinstalledid7.jpg

Reinstall the light engine with the retaining clip you won't see the concentration of green phosphor reflection on the reflector like that of many other XRE mod. It's the nature of the reflector to generate a flood beam. It's OK! [5 minutes]

4lightxo4.jpg

Voila! Let there be Light!

*opps did I say 30 minutes ... well maybe only 25 for those who got everything prepared.

Although flood light is not my taste, but with the XRE inside is a little less of a flood and more usable.
Endeavor, great job there buddy!

Would it be possible to throw a cake in the oven to multitask? :thinking:

Ray

phoneguy

Enlightened
I just tried this, the lense broke off of the ceramic, the ceramic wouldnt come off, then the ic board broke off of the pill. The pill is full of glue so I cant get to the wires that broke. #@!$%^.I guess I am not cut out for modding.

phoneguy

Enlightened
It now gets worse, I baked it to get the glue out of the pill and one of the smd chips came off. I now have a $175.00 paper weight.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
You overcooked your LE. How high did you set your oven and for how long?

I used 250-300F of a small oven in bake mode.
At first if you don't succede try try again. When all else fail seek the Modder's Yellow Page.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modamag, 250 to 300? You used that low of a temperature in the oven? I thought it was supposed to be more like 350.

The CR2-ION I have ready for the oven sure was a stubborn little MOFO to get apart.:huh: It`s ready for the easy bake oven now.:) If you could comfirm that temperature for me first please.:grin2:

Thank you,
Ken

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken, the solder paste that I use is Kester low temp stuff. They come in a syringe for about $40/each. The reflow temp is something like 180-220 C (360-420F). But my oven is not all that accurate so 300 setting seems to work best for me. It really depends on your oven. I know others that use an even lower setting on theirs.

One of the main thing is to keep the unit upright (led up) so that the reflow does not cause the IC component to shift.

"mod with care!"

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wodering what you were using with only 250 but yes, most ovens aren`t very accurate at temperature control. I have reflowed Cree`s onto MCPCB`s from the Shoppe using my Panini Grill.:grin2: This will be first oven attempt. Thanks for the help!:)

Ken

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
AndyTiedye said:
I read on 4sevens's site that some CR2 Ions are potted and unmoddable.

If you want to mod a light you can ... and I did ... so I did!:grin2: Mine was glued but I heated it up and got the LE out of there after a few. I`m sure it took me a little longer than Modamag.:) Nothing is unmoddable.;)

Ken

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put another driver and the XR-e in it. If you don`t feel you can, do what modamag suggested and check out the Modders Yellow Page. :)

Ken

phoneguy

Enlightened
I went for 10 minutes at 300. The glue got very brittle and as I was scraping it out one of the smd chips came out with it.:(

modamag said:
You overcooked your LE. How high did you set your oven and for how long?

I used 250-300F of a small oven in bake mode.
At first if you don't succede try try again. When all else fail seek the Modder's Yellow Page.

phoneguy

Enlightened
What driver would you suggest? I dont have a problem continueing with this, what have I got to loose? Now I am at a point where I am aggrivated and I will succede!!!

kenster said:
Put another driver and the XR-e in it. If you don`t feel you can, do what modamag suggested and check out the Modders Yellow Page. :)

Ken