exterior bream shots Cree+PD, p1D-ce, A19 xr

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi fellow flashlight freaks.
Last night I found myself at a buddies house whose place escapes all ambient light. Perfect for beam shots.
I pulled out my trusty Nikon 99o (the camera used in all of my photos that you see here on cpf.
Here is what I got.
These were all 1 second exposures. I don't think I set the aperture (sorry) and the P1d-ce was on it's primary setting NOT HIGH.
NO they aren't the best but they do give some idea of the relative power of each light in a very dark space.

No they aren't perfect.
But they do get the idea across.
Of the three the A-19 from the shop is putting out the most light overall. It is very bright and the color is good. With the greens of the plant life being really clear.
A-19cree.jpg

Next is the P1D-ce being next This is not on high (silly me) Again a bright light but with less overall output than the a-19. Not bad. I was going to give this light to my buddy but he doesn't like the interface. I spoiled him with an ARC years ago. now it seems like only a clicky of some sort will do. Makes for a much more expensive x-mas present.
UbinPD2.jpg

Last but certainly not least is the Modded McGizmo PD with a Cree emitter
fenixp1D-ce.jpg

This light produces a wonderful beam.
Personally I can't say that these shots represent the beams well.
I am only posting them because so many people ask.
These are certainly NOT the final word but they do give some idea of what is going on.
One important thing I would like to point out is the fact that when you take the light off of a white wall and into a real environment different things become important. beam width and brightness are amongst.
The rings common to the Cree Emitters. The "issue" simply goes away.
(If you notice the file names you notice they do not correspond to the posted names I am aware of this.) The posted names are the correct names for the images.

I am working up a side by side of 4 Cree based flashlight.
The thing is that as flashlight technology progresses our lights become more and more interesting to play with make and modify.
I am quite sure that one year from now (DECEMBER 2007) we will be in love with some new emitter and or some new light.
To be sure though you can't really see it in these beam shots the McXXX PD (Cree modded) is a wonderful flashlight which may take over a spot in my EDC rotation for the time being.

When I took these lights out at my buddies house it is just SO Dark there that when you turn on a light it really lights up the area.
with the small amount of moisture in the air the beam profile comes to light and the light sabre effect comes into play.

One of these days I will go up there and make a set up for shooting Beam Shots and do a bunch of them.
Anyway sorry about the Flaws but I promise they will be better next time...I hope.
Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will not be able to repeat this setup any time soon. There is more that one Cree in the lot BTW. I have no desire.
If you are referring to the Fenix I will say that the beam is pretty much as you see it here in the beam shot but a bit brighter there is not some stunning difference between the 2 levels. Another shot will serve no purpose except to use more of my time in an attempt to reproduce the shot.
Suffice to say that the P1D-CE will more than replace your Mag AA nightstand flashlight.
There are plenty of Beam Shots available for this light. I was simply adding mine to the chorus. You know, enlarging the sample set helps...generally.

I am amazed at how some people are never satisfied with the work that people do to support and educate others here on CPF. It is never quite enough. "Please just one more shot comparing it to the Costco HID or maybe Could I see the beamshot comparing the P1D-CE to a Mag AA (Unmodified?)
I don't get it.
I especially don't get it from people who have never posted an image of any sort on the CPF forums.
I know am ranting here. There just seems to be a large influx people who do not or can not seem to be able to think for themselves and make a decision about buying a flash light. Hell it is only a flashlight. An inexpensive one (relatively)to boot. Buy it. I am not sure how much more information one needs in order to justify a flashlight purchase. Personally I buy a light. If I like it I keep it. (I still have most of the lights I have bought. The others I give away to friends and family or they get stuck into the long term collection. I use my EDC's on a daily basis. I usually base my purchases upon whether or not I feel I can use a light.
Take the P1D-CE for example. I bought one for myself and order one for a friend of mine for Christmas. Neither of us prefer the Twisty action alone on a flashlight with multiple functions, so neither of us will EDC P1D-CE. I like the P1D-CE it is a fine light for the money and the only reasonably priced Cree based flashlight available on the market at the moment (more are coming).
For me that is maybe the only reason to buy the light (It has a Cree emitter). I have several $200.00 + Cree based flashlights. None are multifunction and none have only a twisty. They are all better lights in my opinion. They Should be they are cutting edge high end, semi custom flashlights
So for what it is worth The P1D-CE will maintain it's place in my collection but will not make it into my EDC line up NO WAY.

I have documented the light as much as I have time to including beam shots.
If people can use my experience in order to facilitate a buying decision Great. If not that is too bad.
But to ask for more beam shots where there are so many already is going a bit too far. I say that a search and read of the existing threads and reviews of the light will provide that information and more.
CPF has become a place where there are few very smart people teaching many who have a lot to learn. The problem is that it is often very much a one way street. There are about 5 people who make meaningful postings on this forum IMHO. They ask almost no questions and answer many. It is my hope that some of the people who are part of the growth and influence of people who know little begin to give back to this community which has given them so much.
One can hope.
'

Yaesumofo

65535 said:
Can you repeat with the Cree on High? I am curious if it is a well used 135 lumens or a rather unfocused 135 lumens.

*Retired*
When do you expect to have a beamshot of the P1D-CE on high mode?

You mentioned the P1D-CE was not on high, was the P1D-CE on low mode, or half output mode?

The A19 CREE XR-E with the GD825 is jamming 825mA down the throat of the CREE.

The beam defects in your A19 are pretty obvious, even outside, you can see the hot outside circle, a dimmer flood area, and then the hotspot. I'm glad mine doesn't do that.

Which bin did you use in your PD? I also noticed the PD photo is the only one taken in focus, which helps to emphasize how well things look.

I lightened up your A19 XR-E photo a bit to show what I am talking about, and also applied the sharpen filter to make it look more like the PD photo:

yaesa19.jpg

When you do your line-up photos, could you please do one with all of them in the same photo at the same time?

Last edited:

Latest posts