Wanted: Good camping/backpacking forums

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys know of any decent camping/backpacking forums?

Some of you know a lot about this stuff, but there's certain topics that aren't really all that appropriate for CPF.
frown.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
tongue.gif
Waste disposal maybe? Or worse? I don't know--I'm just basically bumping ya up.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at the thru-hiker site and it is pretty good. They do assume that you will be able to resupply at various points. This is different than expedition needs.

Take into account events that can extend your time, like weather, seismic, other geological, or absolute worst case: man made, and plan for this sort of thing.

I live on a monthly basis, and have a couple of months of food on hand for a 'just in case' situation. I do the same with my lights and batteries.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Lightweight Backpacker: http://backpacking.net is pretty good, especially for minimizing packweight and making your own gear.
thru-hiker.com is also good; I've bought stuff from him and gotten good service.
You might find Ray Jardine's books on backpacking interesting. His references to LED lights led me to Craig's site and then to this forum.
--Walter
[In search of the perfect light weight headlamp]

Termac

Newly Enlightened
www.trailjournals.com

Trailjounals has personal accounts of many people who go off to do pilgrimage hikes, like the Appalachian Trail thru-hike. It can be fascinating to read these stories and follow along, as the ambitious young hikers breakdown and the grandparents get stronger and stronger to the finish.

norcalhiker

Newly Enlightened
I recommend backpacking.net and startbackpacking.com. Both of these are full of info and friendly members.:thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
New record for thread resurrection I think! Just under 9 years! :party:

:welcome: norcalhiker - I hope you enjoy your time here at CPF. :)

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, since this thread is ancient but nevertheless still relevant, here's my two cents:
whiteblaze.net - excellent thru-hiker centric information but plenty useful to the section or multiday backpacker
hammockforums.net - awesome community for those who sleep in the trees!
practicalbackpacking.com - a small but knowledgeable and dedicated community
backpacking.net - a good resource for a lot of backpacking knowledge