MiniMag 3AA LED- $15.98 at Home Depot

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just went to HD to check the Husky 3-color, which were also on sale starting today til 1/1/07 for $7.98/5 pack, and snagged the last 3AA LED MiniMag for $15.98. My hold off for a Cree resolution didn't last very long. I'll probably let my wife wrap them up for me for Christmas. There was also an interesting radio and flashlight combo that was $20 reduced to $12.

Geoff

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
They also had three new energizer hard case lights, i think one had 4 5mm, and the others were 3 watters

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Yea, I forgot to mention the Hardcase Energizers. They all were mighty big, but did look sturdy. I think the smaller 2AA one was $12 or $13, and the 3 watt monsters (maybe 4D) were something like $24.

Geoff

kevinm

Enlightened
HD also has 3 packs of LED lights: 1 watt (2D), 5 .5 watt (2AA), and a 5mm keychain (3 button cell). The pack was $15. The 1 watt is Seoul ZLED and is pretty bright. All are really heavy; thick walls and plastic lenses. The 2D would make a hell of a club.:ohgeez:

Kevin

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of this evening, the Mag LED 3AA is still at the recently-raised price of $24 at the Home Depot's here in the SF Bay Area.

Ron

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I also bought the 2xAA Hard Case Energizer when I got the 5-pack of 3-color Husky lights.
The Hard Case is well built and has good ergonomics. It's very bright for a 3-5mm LED light, but the round "reflector" with a triangle LED layout shining through a square window makes for a really odd beam edge. The center is clean and pretty broad, it's just very different looking.
The switch is a reverse clicky and has a good feel but is easy to make flicker since your thumb wants to naturally rest on it.
It's heavier than a 2xAA Mini-Mag, probably due to the 2 blackened stainless steel side reinforcement panels and its size. It will also tail stand.
I think it has one major drawback besides the minor one of being large and heavy for its batteries and LED size. The tail cap doesn't really get tight when it threads down to the edge of the body. Since it only takes 1/16 of a revolution to deactivate the light, and the lanyard ring is on the side of the square tailcap, I could see this being an annoyance. Maybe a larger O-ring would give more resistance to turning.
The packaging is almost as cool as the light but I couldn't figure out any way to use it for another purpose. It surely must add cost to the light, that was $13 the other day. It comes with batteries and a belt pouch with flap.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the 3AA Minimag lately, and believe that it is the best non-flashaholic light out there.

It is inexpensive, easily available, water resistant (barely), very bright, easy switch (most people know the Minimag switch), reasonable size (it is long, but balances pretty well), common inexpensive batteries, comes with bats, long runtime and probably pretty tough.

Despite it's length, I think Mag hit a home-run with this one.

CeilingDweller

Newly Enlightened
pedalinbob said:
I have been using the 3AA Minimag lately, and believe that it is the best non-flashaholic light out there.

It is inexpensive, easily available, water resistant (barely), very bright, easy switch (most people know the Minimag switch), reasonable size (it is long, but balances pretty well), common inexpensive batteries, comes with bats, long runtime and probably pretty tough.

Despite it's length, I think Mag hit a home-run with this one.

I use mine everyday at work. I accidently dropped it from about 13ft in candle mode, and it smacked the bottom rung on the ladder...it never flickered. It left a small gouge in the knurling on the body. It's gotten lots of other abuse since then. I use a L2T as back up. I'm pleased with my 3 AA mag. I thought I wouldn't like the extended grip, but actually its handy when I'm crawling around in those ceilings and inspecting mechanical equipment. I'm ready for a good tail clicky to mod it with now, I don't think the focusing ring makes much difference. Also would love to mod it with a XR-E.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I know the runtime is longer but how does the brightness and tint of the 3aa minimag compare to an Element? I'm thinking of picking one up just for the heck of it!

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what i have heard here the 3AA is noticeably brighter than the 2 AA

kevinm

Enlightened
fishx65 said:
I know the runtime is longer but how does the brightness and tint of the 3aa minimag compare to an Element? I'm thinking of picking one up just for the heck of it!

It's about a third brighter. The throw (when focused) is significantly better. The 2AA is close to the same brightness, and is much shorter.

That Husky ZLED is really bright! It looks a lot like the 2D Maglite, beamwise, but is a fixed beam. I think it's closer to 3watts.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
This deal is still going at my local HD in the Detroit Metro area. I grabbed a 3AA Maglite today for $15.98. They also had both the 2 & 4 cell LED upgrade for $15.05. The 3 cell LED upgrade was $18.79 (regular price). Lastly they have the 4D Maglite with LED on sale for $28.99.