What light to keep inside the home?

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a Fenix 1Lp which I love and it's a EDC. Howerver what should I get for a home emergency light?

Is rechargeable a good idea? I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but just something very useable and reliable so it's there when you most need it.

Please advice.

Glock40

Newly Enlightened
If you are talking about a good light for a power outage, i would recomend The river rock 4AA lanten at target. About 20 bucks, and very flat regulation.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
Could someone post a picture of a River Rock 4AA lantern (or comparable brands) as I'm not sure what's being discussed. I've been to 3 Target's in the local are and can't seem to find any. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. Also, are they in the flashlight section (in 'hardware') or in Sporting Goods??? The only River Rocks I've found are some nice looking 2AAA in 'natural' or black aluminum.

Thanks,

zimmerDN

Newly Enlightened
Glock40 said:
If you are talking about a good light for a power outage, i would recomend The river rock 4AA lanten at target. About 20 bucks, and very flat regulation.

Yes that too, but I also need a light for around the house tasks once in a while. A latern is a good idea but it will be a secondary light instead.

sandbasser

Newly Enlightened
sandbasser said:
Could someone post a picture of a River Rock 4AA lantern (or comparable brands) as I'm not sure what's being discussed. I've been to 3 Target's in the local are and can't seem to find any. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for. Also, are they in the flashlight section (in 'hardware') or in Sporting Goods??? The only River Rocks I've found are some nice looking 2AAA in 'natural' or black aluminum.

Thanks,

Never mind... I just found a review at: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_lantern.htm

Sounds like I should just keep looking. :ohgeez:

Jeff H

Newly Enlightened
I went through a number of lights as my "in-house" light and have settled finally on a Fenix L2T with 2700 mAh rechargeables from Amondo Tech. The dual brightness levels are handy and the rechargeables run a long time - longer than primaries, which I also keep handy in case the power is out and I cannot recharge batteries.

It is a handy shap and size, takes a lanyard and stands on end for use as a "make-do" lantern. I actually use flashlights a lot at home caring for a family member. The low level doesn't blind us and is enough light to get around and the high level is great for investingating odd noises inside or out.

I also use one with a CR123A body which is always in my pocket and my wife uses my L1P (I guess it's hers now) as a bedside light for just-in-case.

I bought two Huntlight FT02Xs for Christmas gifts and they seem to be excellent lights but would not work for me the way I use the Fenix L2T. My Gerber Infinity Ultra does what the L2T will on low (except stand on end) and my Surefire L1 (again, won't stand on end) and doesn't light up the surrounding area as well as the L2T although I would give niether up. They jsut don't fill the bill like the L2T.

I plan on getting another L2T in hopes it will fit in a County Comm Pocket Organizer. The slender head makes it stow conveniently where others won't and it's long enough to fish out of a shirt pocket quickly.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I am sold on the L2T for in the house and hope this with your decision.

straightblast

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
Hello zimmerDN:)

A Mag-Led 3D would be a good option.

Best regards

____
Tom

I agree. Have many smaller, brighter, cooler lights, but the Mag 3D Led is around (in numbers) for house / barn jobs. For the money, a good reliable choice.