Another funny looking Cree emitter....

Dan C

Enlightened
I just bought three of the P4's in a group buy, and two of them look like this. Sorry about the poor picture, but only about half of it has the yellow/green phosphor coating. I don't know the correct terminology, but the center square part with the wires is fully coated, but only half the part behind it is. My question, how is this going to effect performance? Is it even worth building with one? Opinions (or facts) eagerly awaited, I'm ready to build a sandwich with it.......Thanks.
creexr.jpg

Dan C

x2x3x2

Banned
hmmm... missing bond wires, now coating problems.
btw, do the ones with half coats produce less light?

Raybo

Enlightened
Dan C said:
I just bought three of the P4's in a group buy, and two of them look like this. Sorry about the poor picture, but only about half of it has the yellow/green phosphor coating. I don't know the correct terminology, but the center square part with the wires is fully coated, but only half the part behind it is. My question, how is this going to effect performance? Is it even worth building with one? Opinions (or facts) eagerly awaited, I'm ready to build a sandwich with it.......Thanks.
creexr.jpg

Dan C

Fire'er up!

Ray

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If the center chip die is fully coated, it should be ok. However I suspect that a little bit of blue light might leak out of the right edge of the die and produce uneven bluish artifacts.

From the photo it almost looks as if the right side of the substrate was chipped off. :thinking:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they look almost identical it could be that they have developed a way to just coat what needs to be coated and saved .0001 cents or less per unit.
When you talk about tens of millions of such things *any* saving can mean big dollars at the end.