Lane switching, merging and horn blowing

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
One behavior I have found unexplainable from my past few months of driving is that at times, when I switch lanes, I see to get honking for no reason from those in the lane I am turning into.

I was on a surface street on Hopewell going 25mph in a 25mph zone and the truck in the other lane had 3 car spaces between me and him, when I switched lanes, he laid on his horn like he had suffered a stroke and passed out onto his steering wheel. He did not try to pass me either.

Another incident was on i95 where an accident in the opposite lane caused a back log of rubber necks. I proceeded to go back down the next exit and take another route. To my surprise the road was clear ahead, so I upshifted and proceeded to go 10 mph over the limit. I slowly changed to the far left lane since I had 57 miles to go and didnt want to end up in any of that funcky stuf going on through the city. I checked my mirror before the last merge to the far left and saw a dodge charger in my review mirror 3 car lengths away. I proceeded to merge and he laid on his horn and lights. I swerged back into my lane and re applied my turn signal. I ended up pulling in behind him. He switched lanes and I proceeded to 10 over the limit and was gone.

Then on the dreaded k78 marge near exit 78 on i95. I get quite a few folks who want to merge into the lane I am in where as i want the far right lane. Many times I get horns when there is plenty of room. When we have a few inches, no horns.

So, any idea why I get this behavior? Is it normal considering the number of licenses dmv gives out, considering I have one too? Should I merge anyway, leave my signal on and stay in my lane?

Empath

Flashaholic
If you're getting repeatedly honked at while changing lanes, you're doing something wrong. Don't change lanes until you can see the other guy's headlights in your mirror.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are not driving a BMW or Mercedes-Benz are you, as I have noticed that about 98% of those vehicles have defective signal lights because I see them changing lanes all the time without warning.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
instead of speeding up and pulling in front of someone when you want to merge right or get to an exit, try applying slight pressure upon the foot brake, wait 4 seconds for them to pass you by, and viola! a clear space to go anywhere you like!

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
here is another one.

I'm on I40 around Raleigh, NC.

I'm in the right lane cruise control on between 70-75mph. I come upon an on ramp with an accleration lane. So this woman is merging onto I40 and basically matching my speed, so the acceleration lane is coming to an end and she starts getting on the horn and acting all crazy then slows down and gets in my lane behind me.

Mind you my speed never changed. In my opinion she is merging into my lane it's up to her to use the acceleration lane to make this happen. It's not my job to speed up or slow down and allow her to merge (also there was little traffic at this time).

then she gets alongside me and raises her cell phone as if she going to call the police or something. I started laughing at her then she flipped me off WTF.

People are crazy

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you change lanes into what a person considers their "safe following space" then they may honk you. The trick is that different people have different feelings for what their safe following space is.

You are almost sure to get honked if you shrink their space so much they have to touch their brakes and maybe even if they just take their foot off the gas pedal and hover over the brake pedal (i.e. you made them feel uncomfortable/unsafe).

If I make a lane change that causes someone to honk I usually look up at my rear view mirror (at them) and give a little "thank you wave" (the same as if someone had let you over in a traffic jam). Never any rude gestures.

Just my opinion - Greg

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Try having someone verify that your signals work, from outside your vehicle. You might be misjudging distances in the mirror, after all the old warning of objects being closer than they appear. Perhaps you should allow for more room than you think is needed.

Is it possible they are honking for another reason, say maybe something is wrong with your vehicle that you are unaware of? Does it emit smoke, etc.? It does seem as is something is wrong, and you and your vehicle are the common element. Good luck finding out!

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll also add that 3 car lengths isn't much to fit another car into. After you change lanes there is 1 car length in front of you, your car, and 1 car length behind you. Not much room for driving at any significant speed.

Greg

borax

Newly Enlightened
3 car lengths distance is plenty for passing. unless they speed up, then you have 3 car lengths between you and them. most people pass with 2 car lengths or less.

as for the honking...just remember your drivers ed training - the average mentality of drivers on the road is less than that of a 7th grader (or was that a 7 yr old)...either way you're dealing with children.

for turn signals, its not a matter of if they work or not. it's a matter of if they use them or not, and my experience is that most people dont.

WNG

Enlightened
sgtgeo said:
here is another one.

I'm on I40 around Raleigh, NC.

I'm in the right lane cruise control on between 70-75mph. I come upon an on ramp with an accleration lane. So this woman is merging onto I40 and basically matching my speed, so the acceleration lane is coming to an end and she starts getting on the horn and acting all crazy then slows down and gets in my lane behind me.

Mind you my speed never changed. In my opinion she is merging into my lane it's up to her to use the acceleration lane to make this happen. It's not my job to speed up or slow down and allow her to merge (also there was little traffic at this time).

then she gets alongside me and raises her cell phone as if she going to call the police or something. I started laughing at her then she flipped me off WTF.

People are crazy

I'm not familiar with I-40, but if it has a passing lane and right lane, then you were at fault and the woman had a right to be pissed off.
When approaching a merging lane, you should change into the passing lane to provide an open lane for a car to merge if you should see one. Of course, if the passing lane is occupied, the merging car must allow you to pass and safely merge in behind you.

If I-40 is a single lane road, she must yield until you pass. If so, then she was just being a *****.
;)

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
flick on your indicator light for ~3 seconds, then merge in if safe. the car in the lane you want to merge into should let you in. i absolutely hate it is someone just move into my lane without indication. indication means you are letting the car behind you know your intentions, you are curteous and that you are driving on a public road with other people driving. if you don't indicate, you act as if you own the road and you obviously dont.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh and btw, dont forget that "objects in mirror are closer than they appear." You said you see 3 car lengths, maybe the actual length is less than that? Beside, at the speed on the freeway, 3 car lengths is not that much of a space.
I would second the suggestion of applying the brake and enter BEHIND the car on the other lane, instead of in front of him.

borax

Newly Enlightened
WNG said:
I'm not familiar with I-40, but if it has a passing lane and right lane, then you were at fault and the woman had a right to be pissed off.
When approaching a merging lane, you should change into the passing lane to provide an open lane for a car to merge if you should see one. Of course, if the passing lane is occupied, the merging car must allow you to pass and safely merge in behind you.

If I-40 is a single lane road, she must yield until you pass. If so, then she was just being a *****.
;)

The car in the "through" lane has right of way, in this case he did have right of way since the person coming from the on-ramp had an extended merge/acceleration lane. They need to speed up and pass, or wait and get behind him.

Granted, it's courteous for him to move over and let the person in, but it's not necessary if people know how to merge.

Nebula

Enlightened
Important points to remember - applicable in most -if not all states:

1. When entering the interstate from an on-ramp you must yield to traffic. That said, if I am traveling in the merge lane I generally watch for on-coming traffic - and where safe to do so - move left one lane to allow the other driver unfettered access to the highway. If not safe, I generally guage my speed and if necessary speed up to clear the way. Hitting my brakes to allow the other driver merge space is generally not a good idea as the car behind me may be too close. If you have driven the Beltway around DC you know what I mean.

2. With very limited exceptions (car turning left, and moving around an obstruction), it is illegal to pass on the right - PERIOD.

3. When changing lanes on a multi-lane road you must travel at a minimum 100 feet before changing to another lane. Whoever started this crap of entering the highway and swinging across every lane to the inside lane should be forced to cross the track on a bicycle during the Indy 500.

4. The inner most lane on a multi-lane highway is for overtaking - PERIOD. If you are not passing another car you should be one lane to the right, irrespective of the number of lanes available. The only exception - is when you are making a left hand exit (most interstates don't have left hand turns).

5. If you are in the left lane and a car approaches you from behind give way - even if you are driving the speed limit. In most states it is illegal to impede the flow of traffic even if you are traveling at the posted limit.

6. In my state - Virginia - flashing one's lights at another driver is now a class II offense and considered "agressive driving" for which you can be fined and imprisoned for a period of not more than six months. I find this new provision extremely troubling given the number of people that use a flash of the head lights to signal an ok to another driver. Nevertheless, I am of the opinion that it is better to leave my fingers off the lever and just ignore the offending driver.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nebula said:
2. With very limited exceptions (car turning left, and moving around an obstruction), it is illegal to pass on the right - PERIOD.

It's not illegal in my state, although it can be discourteous depending on circumstances.