EARTHQUAKES and VOLCANO'S

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account
EARTHQUAKES and VOLCANO\'S

I am going to insert this bit of advice for fellow CPF'S, if you have the parts, the know how, then make your own personal survivor lamps that have at least a single LED or Luxeon and can maintain a MINIMUM continuous illumination of over 75% output for 48 hours, simple and basically sturdy like using 6v lanterns and converting to LED usage, thats all folks
wink.gif

I just had a pretty good quake, maybe 6.0 at 3;28 AM this WED morning, I am about 50 miles north of Anchorage Alaska.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: EARTHQUAKES and VOLCANO\'S

I felt that one here in Anchorage real good...
shocked.gif
...yeeehaw, slight moment of "check the drawers"...Here's the information from the Palmer Tsunami Warning Center. I checked the Alaska Earthquake Information Center, and several smaller ones have occurred in the same area this morning.

(Sabby's corrected link - left out a "w"): http://www.komotv.com/stories/20965.htm

EARTHQUAKE DATA:

PRELIMINARY MAGNITUDE: 6.2
30 MILES SE OF DENALI PARK HDQTS., AK.
85 MILES S OF FAIRBANKS, AK.
23 MILES DEEP
TIME: 0327 ADT 10/23/2002
0427 PDT 10/23/2002
1127 UTC 10/23/2002

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

I also am having trouble getting any magnitude readings from any other sites, I just now heard on FOX news it was a 6.5, just south of Fairbanks.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

Thanks sigman, I SUSPECT there will be landslides or misalignments on the tracks near Cantwell area, this was a good shaker.
Its officially being listed at 6.7 magnitude.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depth only 10 Kilometers. Very shallow focus. Cantwell closest at 30 miles. NEIS Richter magnitude of 6.7. I get the Big Quake emailing from NEIS.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

"Big Quake" emailing...I'll have to get on that list. I usually try my few favorite sites, the information is typically posted within minutes. We can usually tell a good shaker from a minor one, Daniel hit that on the head! His message title "EARTHQUAKE-NOW" said it all.

I was sitting in front of the computer and it started...I was going for the "ride" and it seemed to have quit...had an Infinity w/lanyard hanging on the doorknob and it kept swinging for a couple minutes, though the immediate shake beneath my feet had subsided...and of course aftershocks that we don't feel.

I had a chance to buy a seismograph (sp?) at an auction, didn't, wish I had.."techno-gadget"..

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I remember as a kid the tornado warnings, alerts, sirens from back east...at least one could "expect" something due to the nasty weather.

With an earthquake, there's no warning...it's literally a "shock" to the senses. I've heard that if one lasts for over 30 seconds, it's time to take cover (maybe this is an old wives tale? Know any old wives to confirm this with?). I've been through several of those and even though they say don't go outdoors, I'm ready to run for the hills!

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

I will add this commentary about earthquakes in Alaska, most of our heavy tremors do little damage because of several factors, after the 1964 quake many new standards were adopted as to the strength of new structures, many homes have walls much thicker here than elsewhere, and most of the state is very rocky except for the alluvial silt plains left over from receded glaciers, a portion of Anchorage that had the most damage was built upon layers of silt over 40' deep, this liquified and also collapsed much like the effects of the Mexico City quake which was built upon a lake bed. I am sure if a 6.7 was to have hit elsewhere like the Bay Area in CA it would have done widespread damage. There were over 100 aftershocks recorded, as a footnote I am paying attention to volcano reports such as Mt Aetna that is currently spewing lava, I was in Anchorage when Mt. Spurr erupted in 1992 and coated Anchorage with several inches of coarse ash.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Daniel, I have gallons of that Mt.Spurr ash in my shed. I had a little "project" planned for it, but so far it's been on hold (for 10 years! What do I do with 55 gallons of ash? Ha!) I have the geological analysis of that ash, including specific gravity, ph, grain size, all that info, and put it on a label. Gave away several vials for "keepsakes". I've seen pottery and gifts/ornaments made of the stuff. I must be sitting on a lot of $$ (yeah, right!)...who wants to trade?!
wink.gif

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

From what I heard the ash was very granular and very hard, supposedly the city mixed it into either asphalt or concrete and was very durable.
Maybe thats the answer to keeping those highway ruts from studded tires to a minimum, how many friggin times have they resurfaced the Glenn into town?

Daniel Ramsey

Retired Account

We just had another, maybe stronger and longer than the one last week, about a 6.9, at 22:15 UTC or 1:15 AST sunday, Nov 3rd.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Feeling an aftershock right now! The bigger one was felt at my house in South Anchorage for at least two minutes...a real rumbler!! My overhead lights were swaying about a foot back and forth...so far no damage in my neighborhood. It seemed to be a slow rumbler but had me checking my pants again!! I've felt some real jolts in my life here in Alaska, but this was the longest one I've personally felt!

Everytime this happens I say, "I've got to get a bugout kit together...stupid of me to live here and not be "ready to 'rock-n-roll'"!! I was going for my pants (I wear shorts around the hose, pretend I'm in a "warmer" climate
wink.gif
- actually we are a bit warmer now than some spots in the Lower 48!) , wallet, keys, and a couple torches! I know they say to get in a door way or under a table, but I'd rather be outside than have a truss or beam crush me!

Here's one of the releases that are sent to me:

A major earthquake occurred at 22:12:42 (UTC) - Coordinated Universal Time on Sunday, November 3, 2002. The magnitude 7.5 event occurred 68 km (42 miles) ESE of McKinley Park, AK. The hypocentral depth was 1 km ( 1 mile).