Post one picture of your power-outage lights

One portable LED and one portable/stationary LED.
power_loss.jpg

Three sets of spare batteries for both. Well, if these batteries aren't enough, I'll charge the rechargeables on the 15 minute charger in my car.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
117354873-M-1.jpg

I have a set of these on my bedroom window sill, cars, and den.
Three cells, 60 hours, continuous 17 lumens and 111 lumens when I need it.
It takes up no more volume than a typical cell phone :D

JimmyB

Enlightened
Are those Eneloops in the picture? If so, do they seem to work OK on the 15 minute charger?

This setup should get me through anything. I have more options if needed.
loce1.jpg

Handlobraesing said:
One portable LED and one portable/stationary LED.
Three sets of spare batteries for both. Well, if these batteries aren't enough, I'll charge the rechargeables on the 15 minute charger in my car.

AndrewL

Newly Enlightened
when I get this sorted out properly I guess I could use them

WithoutFlash.jpg

900lumens for 2.5hours

I'm thinking making a holder for the 6volt bulbs which could keep me going for 10hours from a 10w bulb

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
A couple of the pictures submitted in the thread show what I think is the respective submitter's emergency battery supply. Before the hurricane struck I thought I had more than enough extra AA, C & D batteries --- yet we were out of batteries within about a week of the storm striking (except for the 9v batteries that were used in the Safe-Lights) -(there there were more situations requiring continuous use than I ever anticipated) - not having electricity (or air conditioning) - or water -or sewage - or phone - or garbage pickup - for about seven weeks is no fun thing [you spend a lot of time joking about which of these things is the hardest to be without (FYI -its sewage)] - and batteries were impossitlbe to obtain considering the mandated evacuation & the barricades & the lack of any passible roads, much less that it took almost two months before any store with batteries re-opened within a reasonable distance. One thing to keep in mind, natural gas serving our area never went out - lots of natural gas full house generators have been installed in my neighborhood since Katrina - and a good many new homes are now being built with them installed during initial construction. As for extra batteries for emergencies, I recommed not being caught way short (like I was).

The only flash-light that kept us going - a last resort - after we ran out of all other batteries were the 9v Safe-Lights that I had purchased several months before the Hurricane struck.

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. Now that I think of it I don't have any super long runtime lights. (longest is my U-bin mag, 1amp at the led for a little more than 5 hours). Most of my lights are either small, or large and super high output, so runtime isn't super long. I do have a bunch of spare luxeons and clone pulls that I likely will make into a long runtime light. Something that can run on D cells and put ~250-300ma to an efficeint led (XRE, or SX0H luxeon1).

JimmyB

Enlightened
Lincoln said:
A couple of the pictures submitted in the thread show what I think is the respective submitter's emergency battery supply. Before Kitrina struck I thought I had more than enough extra batteries --- yet we were out of batteries within about a week of the storm striking )<rest of quote deleted>

If you're talking about my picture I'm almost embarrassed to admit how many batteries I have squirreled away. Between primaries and rechargeables of various types I have enough energy available to power a space shuttle launch. I've always been a bit overboard in this regard. Thanks for real world advice though. It never hurts to be reminded.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I think we could've survived the blackout the other night...

There must've been at least a 10:1 (flashlight:CPF'er) ratio the other night. We were painfully outnumbered. :crackup:

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
IsaacHayes looks like one of those Chinese Crested Hairless 4 legged creatures - of the human (?) variety. There are only about 7,000 in North American, yet they sweep the competition at every ugly dog contest.

Last edited:

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I stand corrected - and my sincere apologies to the Chinese Cresteds for ever having made the comparison.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Aside from all my other lights these are ones that I have turned to or will in the future during an extended outage. All offer long runtime.

DSC03479.jpg

Geoff

jtice

Flashaholic
:touche: :rolleyes:

ohhh no, Mag would never over state anything :ironic:

Hmm, a 4D 124 lumen mag,
or
a tiny necklight sized 111 Lumen P1CE

I think the P1CE wins the power to weight ratio by a LARGE margin.

Lights are no good, if you cant have them with you.
Tough, the mag makes one hell of a whopping stick. :twak:

~John

jtice said:
Lights are no good, if you cant have them with you.
Tough, the mag makes one hell of a whopping stick. :twak:

~John

Don't we all wish small, bright and long life? But we can really only have two and that's why I have two power outage lights.

The P1CE is no exception. It will not produce bright light for a long time, while being small. It might have a bright mode, but battery goes rather quick.

jtice

Flashaholic
On high, yes, its rather quick, and not regulated as well.
But, low, and medium are rock solid regulation, unlilke the mags.
Even if that mag was 123 lumens, thats only for a few seconds, mags are alot dimmer after just 5 minutes of use.
But, such is the case with most all incans.

I find the whiter, smoother beam of the the P1CE on medium, more useful than a 4D mag personally.

~John

bxstylez

Enlightened
JimmyB said:
Are those Eneloops in the picture? If so, do they seem to work OK on the 15 minute charger?

i also have both... the eneloop's AA and the duracell 15 min. quick charger

the 15min. quick charger's manual says it can recharge any nimh's whose capacities are rated 2000mah+

so what i usually do is charge them quickly, which usually brings it to about 80-85% level, and then use my slow charger to fully charge the nimh's to 100% (which takes about another hour)
:grin2:

jtice said:
On high, yes, its rather quick, and not regulated as well.
But, low, and medium are rock solid regulation, unlilke the mags.
Even if that mag was 123 lumens, thats only for a few seconds, mags are alot dimmer after just 5 minutes of use.
But, such is the case with most all incans.

I find the whiter, smoother beam of the the P1CE on medium, more useful than a 4D mag personally.

~John

My point was, people are so quick to point out the spec lumen when a good number of them don't even come close to that output. My Mag 4D with LED doesn't usually leave the house. I have no idea about the lumen output, but it's quite bright. According to Quickbeam's test, it dims down by about 40% from the initial output within mnutes, but even then it's quite bright and the output is rock steady for ~40 hours.

Last edited: