Quality of Chinese flashlights?

Glen C

Enlightened
I live in Australia where Surefire's are expensive, an E2E costs US$132 instead of US$96 even a G2 is US$54 instead of US$36, so was wondering what peoples favourite chinese manufacturer is?

I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the quality (I note some have a good range and some unique features too) of manufacturers like Pila, Wolf Eyes, Microfire, Ultrafire, etc. Which would people rate as the best and most reliable? Thanks for your thoughts.

thanks.gif

FredM

Enlightened
What type of light do you want to buy? Something similar to the G2 and e2e?

What about an LED light? will that work for you? If so then check out Fenix. If not then my opinion would be Pila and wolf eyes, but thats just cause those are the only ones i've seen up close.

Glen C

Enlightened
Thanks Fred, I actually alrady have a Pila GL2 and a G&P Scorpion R500 and a few other G&P. Just thinking it is probably getting time to standardise to some degree with future purchases, so thought I should ask for the collective wisdom of the forum and try and miss any dogs or maybe have something brought up I hadn't thought of. I am probably a year or two from buying a LED, just letting the lumens get up there, which they seem to be doing pretty fast.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi I have a ultrafire 12v to be honest my wife loved it ,until i needed to recharge the batteries two of them would not recharge, i don't think i should be using recharge ables the lamp is ex eon. then she used my A19 xre.she said that's nice and bright leave it out so that i can use it .so i have had to get aXR19-C TO REPLACE IT, that is my excuse,and i am sticking to it. but really some are not that bad.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glen C said:
I live in Australia where Surefire's are expensive, an E2E costs US$132 instead of US$96 even a G2 is US$54 instead of US$36, so was wondering what peoples favourite chinese manufacturer is?

I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts on the quality (I note some have a good range and some unique features too) of manufacturers like Pila, Wolf Eyes, Microfire, Ultrafire, etc. Which would people rate as the best and most reliable? Thanks for your thoughts.

thanks.gif

If you consider Taiwan to be part of China (as the goverment of a country of 1.3X10^9 people seems to :devil: ) then simply dividing quality by price I would have to rate the Dorcy 1XAAA very highly. Note, however, in this instance the demominator is less than $6 USD.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a lot of chinese built lights that are complete garbage, but there are exceptions like Pila, Huntlight, Jetbeam, Fenix and a few others.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
"There are a lot of chinese built lights that are complete garbage, but there are exceptions like Pila, Huntlight, Jetbeam, Fenix and a few others."

Exactly. Quality varies alarmingly so buyer beware. I have ordered a dozen or so different lights from DAE. Some have been really good: 11 LED, 2AA Bullet-headed light, 2xCR123 xenon lights, some fair: 7-8mm LEDs, 2AA and Ghost IIs, and some very poor: 19LED 3AAA Dancer.

One has been exceptional: Ice Cream II (21LEDs, 3AAA).

Norm

Retired Administrator
Why not order direct from the U.S. Glen?, I've never had a problem ordering direct.
Norm

Glen C

Enlightened
Titan, thanks I have an Ultrafire on the way.

Doug, will check Dorcy out, noticed my local hardware superstore had some models.

Chevrofreak, thanks for getting a few extra on the shortlist

Bror Jace, will look out for ice cream
smile.gif

Norm, I actually have bought some but not everyone will ship or charge outrageous amounts (US$30 for one light). Since joining this site I have decided to upgrade what I have and need a few lights. If I lived in the states I would probably have half a dozen Surefire, half a dozen other interesting things and one really nice light. Unfortunately my budget wont go that here so probably 7-8 chinese lights, 2-3 nice and one trophy piece eventually. Our geographic location makes some things a bargain, I got a G&P rechargable Scorpion R500 for US $78 delivered (less than the states), only US$20 more than a Surefire G2. Just want to make sure when I order the Chinese gear I dont make some really stupid mistakes and try and pick one of the better brands. I still will be getting some gear from the states.

thanks.gif

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own one QIII and one Fenix and both lights were beautifully finished
( probably on US made Haas CNC machines ) and all they have to do now is
have the quality remain consistent. If they can do that they will rival any American company.

Glen C

Enlightened
Frasera, Maglite's are available here but again have a premium. The cheapest price for a standard 2D incandescent is about US$40 (sales withstanding) where I am seeing them online in the US for under $20. At US $40 I prefer the form factor of a CR123 light.

Anglepoise, familiar with Fenix, not sure who Q111 is? Do you have a little more to go on? Thanks

Edit, found it Nuwai Quantum 111, thanks

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Glen C - great way to approach what is normally a touchy subject that quickly escalates out of control and moves far away from the original post.

Goot luck with your search! :thumbsup:

john

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lighthound and OpticsHQ both ship internationally without charging much at all.
Norway is even more expensive than Australia so I usually order everything from these 2 dealers. Both stock Surefire, Pelican and Lighthound stocks a lot of other brands as well.

Great service from both dealers everytime I've used them.

Sverre

OT: Wolf Eyes are also good quality Chinese lights in addition to the other brands mentioned.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila and Wolf-Eyes are great!!!! As we speak I have my Pila GL4 on my desk. Wolf-Eyes is prob my favorite. I have 4 of them. Great lights and I am always looking for something new from them. I also have ultrafire LED and they are good lights as well. For the money go with Pila or Wolf-Eyes, you wont be disappointed.

Glen C

Enlightened
JCH, Thanks. I prefer the American lights but cant afford ten of them so will get 2-3 and the rest chinese. I understand why people support local and if there was an Aussie light I would get that.

No Fair & Drifter, you guys are right and thanks for the tips on the dealers.

Choppers, it seems Pila & Wolf Eyes get a lot of recommendations. Thanks

Glen C

Enlightened
Thanks Concept, I was waiting and have purchased from Jon before (with his reasonable international shipping) so will keep a heads up for a review :)

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
For xenon lights, I'd recommend Wolf-Eyes and Nextorch. Both companies make very nice lights with very good machining and quality.

For LED lights, I'd recommend Huntlight, Lumapower, Fenix, Jetbeam, and Luxogen/Smartfire/Spiderfire (all seem to be the same mfr). All offer very good machining, excellent anodizing, good electronics, and very attractive designs for very low prices.