Anybody here a locksmith?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody here a locksmith by trade?
If so, when you're asked to cut keys like these, do you do it or ask a buncha stuff or say no? Nobody really stamps it there. The raw blanks are just made that way from factory.

I'm just curious if locksmiths lurks here as well.

Last edited:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I'm an amateur. I have most of the tools and have studied the field. It's a rather fascinating field.

I decided not to pursue it as a secondary career since there is a lot of physical work involved, and much of the income is derived from working in cars. My back will not allow me to spend time under a dashboard anymore.

Why do you ask?

Daniel

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a locksmith, but when I was a kid I read all the books by "Eddie the Wire" and had a gaggle of locksmithing tools... mostly ways to open locks without the usual key, but also tools to setup "hardened" household security.

When I moved into the condo I'm in now I actually tore out the original exterior wooden door frames and replaced them with welded steel frames, high-security locks, etc. There's one weak spot in the security but you'd need a helicopter to reach it. ;-)

Also machined some locking deadbolts for my car doors, sorta like a household deadbolt except it's totally hidden. The deadbolts lock/unlock with the keyless entry remote. Nobody is going to get into my car unless they go through the windows... and at that, I'm considering transparent security film that holds broken car windows together. (Don't know how secure it is though.)

Looking forward to hearing what the rest of your question is! ;-)

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey handy, you've mentioned in previously about your hobby urban exploring.
You're not trying to get into somewhere you're not supposed to are you?

I have a good friend who's in his late 60's who is a retired locksmith.
He tells me stories all the time of young folk who keep trying to con him
into giving up his secrets. Lucky for the rest of the community, he was
wise and kept his mouth shut :)

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
4sevens said:
I have a good friend who's in his late 60's who is a retired locksmith. He tells me stories all the time of young folk who keep trying to con him into giving up his secrets. Lucky for the rest of the community, he was

A good locksmith is like a good magician, and magicians don't tell. :sssh:

4sevens said:
Hey handy, you've mentioned in previously about your hobby urban exploring.
You're not trying to get into somewhere you're not supposed to are you?

I have a good friend who's in his late 60's who is a retired locksmith.
He tells me stories all the time of young folk who keep trying to con him
into giving up his secrets. Lucky for the rest of the community, he was

To answer your question, no. I asked, because I was curious if anyone was in the trade.

Now, to add personal comment just like you did,

You've mentioned to me in the UE website chat that you do your share of UEing, so what do you got to talk? You tried to sell Fenix lights on a urban exploration community, but you've referenced to "urban exploration" as "criminal trespassing" in one of my threads on CPF.

Since you feel UEing is "criminal trespassing", you're knowingly supplying equipment to a community knowing it would be used to assist what you find to be wrongful. Store owners who puts ethics before money wouldn't serve someone if they believe the goods are purchased to assist in something they believe to be unlawful or unethical. For example, If you went to the pharmacy and asked to buy something and you state the purpose as indirect assistance in the mfg of illicit substance, the ethical ones wouldn't sell it even though there's money to be made in selling it.

Can I ask why you supply flashlights to a community when you KNOW that their members would use them for something you believe to be unlawful/unethical?

ledlurker

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Anybody here a locksmith by trade?
If so, when you're asked to cut keys like these, do you do it or ask a buncha stuff or say no? Nobody really stamps it there. The raw blanks are just made that way from factory.

I'm just curious if locksmiths lurks here as well.

ahh, finally getting around to playing with Bump Keys. i made one myself just to show my wife how easy it is to get around a traditional lock. Mine have seven tumblers and my first try still only took 9 seconds. I estimate with a dozen manufacturer keys, I can open almost any lock.

ledlurker said:
ahh, finally getting around to playing with Bump Keys. i made one myself just to show my wife how easy it is to get around a traditional lock. Mine have seven tumblers and my first try still only took 9 seconds. I estimate with a dozen manufacturer keys, I can open almost any lock.

Those aren't bump keys. They're uncut keys.

VWTim

Enlightened
Wow there Handy, try calming down. It's one thing when it's a perfectly legal tool that has many uses and you can UE while not tresspassing. But his question was about using a tool for an illegal reason. So you're saying we shouldn't sell pocket knives on here since you could stab someone with them?

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
-- double post

Interesting. You double posted 15 minutes apart eh? I get email notification
and a record of original posts and it looks like you just posted a second time
instead of editing your first post. I didn't mean to upset you so much :shrug:

Not all UE activities are illegal - for example, exploring old historical sites
in state parks. Or exploring with permission from the property owner.

However, if you're trying to get into where there are locks, that crosses
the line IMHO. If you don't have the key, then you should not be entering.
I know you're an avid UE guy crawling into elevator shafts and such and
your inquiry about lock picking just sets off red flags. UE is shady enough
as it is. :thumbsdow

A flashlight is a multipurpose tool much like a hammer or a crowbar. However
what you use it for is the responsibility of the user. Otherwise they would
check ID's at the hardware store. Now, purchase of a weapon such gun
requires much more responsibility on the seller - as required by law
:lolsign:

Last edited:
VWTim said:
Wow there Handy, try calming down. It's one thing when it's a perfectly legal tool that has many uses and you can UE while not tresspassing. But his question was about using a tool for an illegal reason. So you're saying we shouldn't sell pocket knives on here since you could stab someone with them?

I agree with you completely. I'm not the one who refers to urban exploration as criminal trespassing, he's the one who feels it is. Since he was selling them on a forum dedicated for UE(which he doesn't approve of), product being offered there can be reasonably expected to be used for that.

Look at graffitti forums for example. http://www.bombingscience.com/graffitiforum/. We know spray paint have legal uses, but paint sold on such forums can be reasonably expected to be used in illegal graffitti, do you disagree? Yes, I'm saying you shouldn't knowingly supply pocket knives to someone whom you have a reasonable ground to believe it would be used in something that is unlawful or you ethically disapprove of.

His question wasn't warranted. You don't expect the coffee shop guy to ask you if you're going to use the coffee to attack someone that ticked you off on the road earlier anymore than I expect mr 4sevens to ask me if I'm asking the question in order to do something illegal. (note the original post was simply a question if anyone here's a locksmith. the rest was added AFTER his reply)

4sevens said:
Interesting. You double posted 15 minutes apart eh? I get email notification
and a record of original posts and it looks like you just posted a second time
instead of editing your first post. I didn't mean to upset you so much :shrug:

Not all UE activities are illegal - for example, exploring old historical sites
in state parks. Or exploring with permission from the property owner.

"UE = trespassing" is a bigotry you came up with yourself. See your own words.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1630746&postcount=23

However, if you're trying to get into where there are locks, that crosses
the line IMHO. If you don't have the key, then you should not be entering.
I know you're an avid UE guy crawling into elevator shafts and such and
your inquiry about lock picking just sets off red flags. UE is shady enough
as it is. :thumbsdow[/quote]

I asked nothing about lockpicking. You have no right to falsely claim I said something I never did. My question has anything to do with UEing huh, your ASSumption?

A flashlight is a multipurpose tool much like a hammer or a crowbar. However
what you use it for is the responsibility of the user. Otherwise they would
check ID's at the hardware store. Now, purchase of a weapon such gun
requires much more responsibility on the seller - as required by law
:lolsign:
You call urban exploration trespassing and it is against your ethics and yet you sell on a community dedicated for UE do you expect it wouldn't be used for that purpose. That makes you an accessory.

It is just like selling paint to graffitti vandals when you have a reasonable cause to believe that's what it will be used for. Just because something is a multi-purpose tool makes it ok to sell it to someone when you know the intent of the purchase is to use it for something you find wrong/illegal?

Last edited:

Empath

Flashaholic
This is the second thread I've found this morning with the two of you going at one another. To make matters worse, it involves a multi-board dispute. Your dispute would be best handled in the Underground. This thread is closed too.

Edit: Oops..... Two of us were posting at the same time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.