Does anyone know how much a 100 ton crane costs?

yclo

Flashaholic*
Yup, it's a serious question. I'm working on a project at the moment which requires me to design a method of constructing a wind generation tower without the use of large cranes.

My group has come up with a design and we need to evaluate it by weighing its cost against that of using a large crane.

Can anyone estimate the cost of a large gear about between 1-3 meters in diameter and able to support a load of 100 tonnes perpendicular to its flat surface? Also a diesel engine (or electric) engine capable of outputing approximately 15-45kW? Also the cost of construction of two rails with gear teeth about 50 meters long (2/3 the height of a wind generation tower)? This will have to be for 150 seperate towers so I'd imagine the cost should be a bit less than if only one set of gear/rail/engine was purchased.

Thanks in advance!

-YC

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this is for generating wind, earth does that well enough.
grin.gif

Tonnes: US or Metric??? (1,000 Kilograms or 2,000 pounds, etc.)

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Nope, but if you direct connect a 2 meter gear to a diesel engine and a rack (geared rail), I can predict an exit velocity of the rail of about 100 miles an hour. Would be a really FAST way to put up a tower.
smile.gif