Schulzendorf Delta 1 "small" german HID light

ArsMachina

Enlightened
Today I want to show you a quite rare and scary light.
Even it is not handmade I believe it fits best here, because it is such special and only available from one seller in Germany. Noone really knows who produces it but it is probably made in Berlin.
I am talking about the Schulzendorf Delta 1, a 10watt HID light.
I was after this light for a long time, but the asked price of 500 Euro (around $650) was to stiff for an experiment.
Currently the light is a vailable at a lowered price of 300 Euro so I decided to give it a try.

First let's look at the pics:

delta1_1.jpg

delta1_2.jpg

delta1_3.jpg

delta1_4.jpg

Here the back cover is screwed of to attach the loader:

delta1_5.jpg

Here a size comparisation to my Gladius:

delta1_6.jpg

Ok, for me as I prefer tiny 1cell lights this one is rather big ;)
But compared to other HID's it is still quite small what was the main argument for me to buy my first HID.
It is made out of blue anodised aluminium and the craftmanship is just stunning! The diameter of the light is 42mm, it is 180mm long and it's weight is 555g.
And how does it perform?
The seller tells it has a runtime of two hours and the color temperature is 5000 Kelvin.

I did not yet test the runtime, but this beast is really VERY bright and produces a very white light.
First I was a little bit disappointed as it is not a throw monster like most of my other lights. But when I used it to walk in the dark house or garden it clearly showed me it's advantages. I never before saw a light with such a wide area of white brightness - wonderful!
All my LED lights are showing terribly colored lights compared to this whiteness!

Ok, it is not a light for long distance usage, but it is a great allrounder with probably very few competitors.

Jochen

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only see "x" on the images

Edit: You put the HTTP twice on each picture, thats why it's not showing

AlexGT

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie, oh Bernie, where are you?

I think Bernie or maybe another of the German members talked about this light a year or two ago.

It is fairly rare, and if I remember right, only available from one dealer.

Bill

BVH

Flashaholic
I located about 4 different dealers (I think) doing a search but all web sites are in German so I'm not sure. They're all about 299 Euros. If they are indeed 5000K color temp, and not the WA 6500 or higher Solararc color, I'd love to have one. Anyone willing to buy and ship one to me for a fee, of course?

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
~USD$400 for this?

sounds good...what makes you say its not homemade?
only one seller, no one knows where its from... :thinking:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Jochen, do they take PayPal?

(As to your avatar, which I just noticed, I can only say "Second prize is two of 'em!" :D )

Larry

liteglow

Enlightened
10Watt HID ?
Is this regular D2S hid bulbs ?
What when I need a spare bulb (if it`s not D2S)

And if it`s only 10Watt, is that low compared to 35Watt regular CAR xenon ... ?

:)

London Lad

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect you will be able to buy spare bulbs from where ever the maker got them from. Looking at this page alone there are at least two lights using them.

wulfgang

Newly Enlightened
That's not a D2S, it's an MR11 MH lamp. Probably a Welch-Allyn, just like in the Trailtech and other bike lights.

Btw, although it's nowhere near as bright as a D2S, 500 lumens out the front is still brighter than anything else of that size with a decent runtime.

Last edited:

blahblahblah

Enlightened
Morelite said:
Other than the switch, it looks alot like this light.

lt6078.jpg
I have the Dive Rite in the picture above. From just looking at the pictures of the Schulzendorf Delta 1, the Dive Rite is not as well made on the exterior. FWIW, the Dive Rite is underdriven and puts out noticeably less output (high optic/lens loss ???)than a properly driven "10W" HID, when compared to my UFO mini-HID. Obviously, I can't comment on the Schulzendorf Delta 1 or how the electornics/output compares, since I don't have one. However, to the Dive Rite's credit, it has worked for me underwater, where the Schulzendorf Delta 1 would have probably flooded.